MK2 1.9TDI 110 Toledo engine might need replaced!

Mojobanga8

Mar 19, 2015
Hi all!

This is my first post on here, but I have used this forum for solutions for any problems that I have had with my car ever since Ive had it.

Recently, I was coming off the motorway and I noticed that my car started feeling a little bit sluggish, as if I had a flat tyre. I then pulled into a garage and gave it a few revs and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders.

I then shut the car off for a few minutes and started it back up and it started making a strange rattle/hissing noise from the top of the engine bay, of which was quite loud.

I took the decision to nurse it around to a car park nearby, close to a friends house, and on the way,I put the window down to have a listen to the engine, and I noticed that I couldnt hear the whistle of the turbo anymore.

About 10 seconds later, the car completely died on me, and lost power steering, however the brakes still worked fortunately! I thought that the timing belt had gone, causing the entire engine to fail.

I then tried to start the car again once I had stopped in a side street, and the car wouldnt even turn over, it made one noise, as if the battery was totally flat, and would not turn over at all.

So, had to call a tow truck and they took it to my local garage of which it has been since yesterday. I have just been told that the timing belt seems fine, but the car was very low on oil, and the car may be damaged beyond repair!

:help:

Would anybody know wat the problem could be? Would abnybody know what the best solution would be? I really do like my car, but I just want the cheapest practical solution.

I have got quotes for the same engine as mine for £200, with 130,000 miles on it, but I have no idea what kind of condition it is in. I am thinking for the new engine, wheel bearing and an engine mount that it needs, I sm looking at about £500 in parts and labour?

Would anybody know how long this could take? Sorry for the long story, just trying to give as much information as I can!

Thanks!

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Could still be timing belt as a friend had a similar experience which eventually resulted in the engine dying and wouldn't restart. The cambelt looked fine when we inspected it with the covers off but later on through a little more scrutiny we found the belt had stripped a few teeth and slipped around causing the timing to be totally out. The belt was replaced and the engine did run again but it was down on power and got progressively worse so we think it must have damaged a valve, my friend chopped the car shotly afterwards so didn't get chance to verify that though.

Mojobanga8

Mar 19, 2015
Could still be timing belt as a friend had a similar experience which eventually resulted in the engine dying and wouldn't restart. The cambelt looked fine when we inspected it with the covers off but later on through a little more scrutiny we found the belt had stripped a few teeth and slipped around causing the timing to be totally out. The belt was replaced and the engine did run again but it was down on power and got progressively worse so we think it must have damaged a valve, my friend chopped the car shotly afterwards so didn't get chance to verify that though.

Do you think his engine could of been fully repaired? If you think it could of, how much do you think it would of cost? I still havent found out what the problem is because the garage is extremely busy and it is very fustrating! [:@]

Only thing I can do is sit back amd wait! :whistle:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members