MK2 Facelift - something i dont get....

Mr H

Had my leon a couple of weeks now and now and again find a few things i didnt know it had.

Cornering fogs was one. I've also noticed that when i have the lights on, and put the car into reverse, both front fogs come on???

Does anyone know why on earth this happens?? No idea if it happens on pre-facelift MK2's!?!?!

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Ill have to check the reverse thing next time I go out.
What I have noticed when I first start the car and the lights are on Auto, if it is dark enough for the lights the front fogs come on also for a short period.

product

Nov 6, 2007
I've also noticed that when i have the lights on, and put the car into reverse, both front fogs come on???

Does anyone know why on earth this happens?? No idea if it happens on pre-facelift MK2's!?!?!
This was a new feature at the facelift, although it's been on Ibiza since the launch of the Mk 5. The cornering fogs are designed to help you see pedestrians/bollards etc as you make a low speed turn.

When reversing you basically turn the car into a rear-steer vehicle. Because your nose could swing out quite quickly in either direction, you get both fog lights on to help you check your manoeuvrability. :)

Mr H

blimey! Seems like adding a new feature for the sake of adding a new feature to me!!!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
They are the same lights as on the MKVI Golf. They work like adaptive lights in that an extra light comes on to light up the corner you are going round at a slow speed. Did not know about the reverse function!!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I always consider fog lights to be exactly for that - FOG! Just another excuse for these tossers who drive around with them on all the time to do it even more - "oh, they do it automatically" !!!

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
I always consider fog lights to be exactly for that - FOG! Just another excuse for these tossers who drive around with them on all the time to do it even more - "oh, they do it automatically" !!!

They only come on automatically at low speed... i.e. when your parking the car.

I must admit that when parking in a dimly lit multi storey car park i found them very useful.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Have to say that if I got a facelift Leon, the first job I would do to the car would be to switch these off in VAGCOM.