MK3 1.8 TSI Leon - Sounds like a bike chain?h

Aug 9, 2021
Hey all!
Started the Leon (MK3/1.8 petrol/17 plate) - believe it’s the EA888 engine? -up yesterday and for about thirty maybe forty minutes of driving every time I came off the accelerator I hear what I can only describe as the exact same sound as a bike when you stop pedalling - that fast clicking sound, almost chain sounding.

Now im fairly certain it also does this when I accelerate however it’s hard to tell above engine noise.
After driving for an hour or so it seemed to stop however im curious as to what it is or what’s causing it as it sounds awful for what was a silent car before.

my initial thought was the timing chain, but I cannot see that being the case cars only on 30k - so my second thought was perhaps a tensioner? Do chains have tensioners?

Car was very recently serviced Inc oil/oil filter front disc and pads - I do have an aftermarket panel filter in and removed the silencer but they all seem fine!

would love any ideas or suggestions - worst case scenario I’ll have to let the moths out of my wallet finally!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Is it engine speed related or vehicle speed related?

i.e. does the pitch of the noise change with engine revs or vehicle speed?

Reactions: CM94
Aug 9, 2021
Is it engine speed related or vehicle speed related?

i.e. does the pitch of the noise change with engine revs or vehicle speed?
Thanks for the reply Super.

oddly enough i think it’s more related to engine speed? It’s tough to crack down.
If I accelerate and dip the clutch it stops, however during acceleration and if I let off the throttle in gear it makes the sound.

the sound is consistent in speed or well seems to be it’s hard to diagnose and trying to get a video of it is proving a right pita. I’m hoping tonight I’ll be able to get a clip where the cars been sat.

worth noting it definitely clears up after the engine is used for awhile but that seems to be a minimum of 15/20 minutes?

also maybe worth noting is she has fresh oil/oil filter in, no less than a month or two old and I don’t do a ton of mileage.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the reply Super.

oddly enough i think it’s more related to engine speed? It’s tough to crack down.
If I accelerate and dip the clutch it stops, however during acceleration and if I let off the throttle in gear it makes the sound.

the sound is consistent in speed or well seems to be it’s hard to diagnose and trying to get a video of it is proving a right pita. I’m hoping tonight I’ll be able to get a clip where the cars been sat.

worth noting it definitely clears up after the engine is used for awhile but that seems to be a minimum of 15/20 minutes?

also maybe worth noting is she has fresh oil/oil filter in, no less than a month or two old and I don’t do a ton of mileage.
Try listening under the bonnet, whilst someone blips the throttle - specifically around the cam chain end - a long screwdriver placed on parts of the engine can act like an stethoscope to help narrow down where noises are coming from:

1691520710348.png

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.