Mk3.5 CUPRA steering wheel...

Ollie

Jul 26, 2019
Hello all

Hope you're all keeping well

I have annoyingly scratched a fair bit of the leather on my steering wheel without realising getting in and out (annoying parts on my belt and jeans), although not disastrous I was looking at the steering wheel in the R and R ST with its rather nice alcantara...

Royal Steering Wheels have been mentioned a few times on here and have drawn up the attached based on what I asked for (obviously it would be with the copper S badge rather than the CUPRA logo) but with nice alcantara sides on East and west but with leather North and south alongside some nice subtle bronze stitching.

Has anyone had any experience of retrimming a steering wheel? The car is on a 4yr PCP which I am undecided on buying at the end or trading in; I would doubt SEAT would even notice half the time if done to a professional standard. I suppose always an option to re trim to factory standard also if it was likely to be an issue.

Image attached but thought it looked really appealing. What are your guys thoughts alongside any past experiences of doing this, and the company?

Thanks!
O

Attachments

• 20191203_124234.jpg
    20191203_124234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,484

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That steering wheel looks good, but I think the main issue with alcantara on the steering wheel of a car used as a daily driver is durability - especially on the east-west sections of the steering wheel that will get the most use. Hands secrete natural oils, so with the driver holding the alcantara sections of the wheel, the alcantara could end up looking worn and grubby in a relatively short period of time.

If the wheel does need re-trimming, then I’d go for leather rather than alcantara because of the better durability of leather. You’ve said the scratches on your wheel aren’t disastrous, so before going to the expense of getting the wheel re-trimmed, I’d consider having a go at hiding or removing the scratches in the leather with a leather dye or even some good old fashioned black shoe polish, testing on an inconspicuous area first.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As above, try Clarks Black Shumagic if in UK. This is the stuff that ‘us parents’ use to cover the scuffs on our kid’s school shoes.

This stuff has a very high dye content, and is a good match for the greyish black leather used in VAG cars. I usually use it on the leather seat bolsters. Dab the polish liberally using the non-striking end of a matchstick - allow it to soak in 15 mins, then wipe off excess and buff.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
That steering wheel looks good, but I think the main issue with alcantara on the steering wheel of a car used as a daily driver is durability - especially on the east-west sections of the steering wheel that will get the most use. Hands secrete natural oils, so with the driver holding the alcantara sections of the wheel, the alcantara could end up looking worn and grubby in a relatively short period of time.

If the wheel does need re-trimming, then I’d go for leather rather than alcantara because of the better durability of leather. You’ve said the scratches on your wheel aren’t disastrous, so before going to the expense of getting the wheel re-trimmed, I’d consider having a go at hiding or removing the scratches in the leather with a leather dye or even some good old fashioned black shoe polish, testing on an inconspicuous area first.

And to add to my earlier post above, something to consider in the current climate if you’re concerned about sanitising your steering wheel (especially if other people drive your car), IMO it’ll be much easier to sanitise a leather rimmed wheel than one with alcantara covered sections.

Invertigo

Nov 19, 2019
Alcantara is a synthetic fabric designed to be more durable than suede. The only thing is it needs much more regular cleaning than hide leather, as it's more likely to absorb dirt, oils, moisture etc.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise