MK3 CD Changer - Any Specific Brand?

Kye69

Chris
Jun 13, 2008
Oxfordshire
Hi all

I've had a perusal through threads about HUs & CD changers. I bought an Alpine CD Changer a while ago to go in the boot of a MK3 Ibiza (1.6 sport).

A local audio guy told me that the Alpine changer can't be read by the standard Ibiza HU...I've just been poking around the back of the HU & there are DIN type sockets (all with plugs in & the aerial connector). If one of these is the CD changer socket (there's the changer button on the fascia) then it's taken up by something.

Some of the cupranet threads point towards a changer lead coming out in the boot - but I've routed around in there & can't find the loose lead that has been talked about...and also the Alpine changer has a connector called AI-Net & isn't a usual DIN connector - can a converter sort this out or am I just gonna have to sell the changer on ebay? I really want to get the changer connected up in the boot instead of replacing the HU.

Sorry for the lengthy post - any help would be really appreciated. :confused:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
I have exactly the same problem it seems.. on my 1.4 ibiza chill 2001... All of the sockets on the back are taken up, and there is no sign of a cd changer lead...any light on this subject?

Edit: I have looked more closely at a the plugs, and a wiring diagram and have made out that the Blue section is to do with CD changer. If you get an adaptor for the CD changer, all you need to do is unclip the current blue section and then reconnect the blue adapor.. Although I may be speaking rubbish !!

Last edited:

Kye69

Chris
Jun 13, 2008
Oxfordshire
I managed to read through a lotta threads & found that you can get an adapter for the Ibiza's rectangular CD Changer lead (which i found FINALLY!! - take a look at the pictures if they worked)

you can get the adapter from addachanger.co.uk. I'm gonna order an adapter & fit it in the summer after I've finished my finals...

Last edited:

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
Im still awaiting my adapter for the Mp3/USB connection.. Will let you know how it goes...

And the only problem with your solution is that I cant find the CD changer lead anywhere in the boot, under carpets etc... I should follow the lead and take out all the skirting etc but I really cant be bothered!!

Kye69

Chris
Jun 13, 2008
Oxfordshire
crumbs yeah that might take an annoyingly long time - maybe the chill has a different boot lead hidden somewhere else exciting...

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
right lads this is what you do:

1) remove sterio facia
2) look at the back of the HU and see if the top of the 3 connector blocks is populated. (the cd changer is 1 of the top 2 but cant remember which one at the moment)
3) if the plug / lead is in the back of the HU then re fit the HU and facia

4) remove glove box
5 ) look for the cd changer cable in behind the glove box
6 ) if you cant find it behind the glove box, refit and put your junk back in there

7) go in to boot
8) remove / push to one side the boot floor
9) on the left hand side of the boot you have the wheel arch
10) slide hand under neath the carpet on the wheel arch lining and have a good old feel about (so your feeling the metal side of the wheel arch)
11) cable should be there

its really not hard finding the cable at all so just give it a go and try

roloking1806

Apr 11, 2009
Surrey and Huddersfield
yea i believe its the blue section which is the CD changer... I have not checked behind the glove box, and i know its not in the boot...

I want to get the USB/headphone jack into the car.. Its just a little cheaper than having to buy a CD changer, and possibly an adapter for it..