MK3 Cupra 280 - gearbox error and hicups under hard acceleration

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
...so just racked up my first year with my 2014 MK3 Cupra DSG 5 door, god I love this car :D

Have racked up about 3500 miles on top of the 10500, average 20 to 26 mpg and am on my second set of tires (went with the new Dunlop AS3).

At Christmas I jumped in the car one morning to be confronted with an error warning about gearbox and brakes and the car had no gears, turned off and back on and it was fine - chalked it up to a cold morning...

Over the last several months it has done it to me twice more with no common denominator I can see.

Question is should I be worried and what can I do (while its still in warranty)?

Recently I have developed the following issues, when pulling out to overtake and burying the throttle occasionally the car dies ever so briefly then wakes up and takes of like a scalded cat, when taking into account the above could it be the gearbox or a fuelling issues.

This morning its started prompting me for a service (has had the first 10K service done) shortly after I got it and as its about a year now so sounds about right.

I took it to SEAT in Leek who did a fine job but its a small outfit so not sure what there hands on experience with Cupra's is like, I've heard good things about the SEAT dealer in Crewe and wondered what other peoples thoughts are.

So:

SEAT in Crewe Cheshire?

Anyone had DSG/brake error's cleared by turning the car on and off?

Anyone experience brief power loss under hard acceleration (reminiscing of over fuelling - but its stock and injection!)?
(I only ever put Shell Nitro+ in the tank)

What if anything can I do in preparation for taking it to a dealer to examine?

Modern cars being what they are I wonder if there are any gearbox or engine management firmware updates it needs to fix bugs...

Any and all feedback gratefully appreciated.

A

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I had it on mine, there was a software update for it.

I'm from Crewe originally, they can be a little hit and miss.

I live in MK now as well but tbh I tend to avoid any dealer as much as possible.

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
...just biding my time now until the warranty expires, then its back to my local dealer VOTEX who has looked after my cars for the last 15 years, but that's a topic for another thread and your probably a good man to know from what I've seen when that time comes [B)] as I plan to go for a full REVO stage 2.

Would it be worth me dropping SEAT an email directly to find out about firmware updates, rather than have one of those conversations with a dealer where there sucking air through there teeth.

Steeling myself for that main dealer experience "no errors in the logs - next"

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You will need to take it into a dealer tell them youve been advised there was an update.

jpor

May 10, 2015
Cheshire
I bought and have had my car serviced at LC Charles Crewe. They seem good and customer care focused. Only issue have had recently is they hadn't registered my car correctly I their system when I last had a service with them. Kept getting emails that my car was due and then over due a service. Rang them and got it sorted.

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
..so SEAT UK have come back to me and said there are no updates on there records for the DSG gearbox or the Engine management :cry:

Other then that it was a very polite email that referred me to the local dealership.

As I'm due a service I am just waiting on the local dealer to come back with some dates, once it's been in I'll post back here on there findings and the outcome.

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
Dealer in Leek came back to me and in a round about way said we can do the service but are not interested in your problems, wait till it breaks and if its in warranty we'll fix it but as a small dealer don't have much experience of the Cupra.

Not the confidence inspiring response I was looking for so am going to give the larger main Dealer in Crewe a try, booked in for first week in September, I'll let you know how I go on.

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
Well Crewe SEAT did the service for me, can't fault the customer service so very happy with the job they did and would recommend them, was very impressed with the video they sent me showing the screw in my front tire (nearly new fronts :censored:)

All in - the full main 20k or 2 year service, plus aircon service, plus tire repair (screw was bang in the centre of the main tire rib so could be repaired) it was £316 in vat which I feel was a fair price for what seems to be a top quality job.

Car was cleaned and felt better on the drive home.

Unfortunately they got nothing from the logs and said they could not replicate my worries over the problems I raised and as I have not had time to road test it in anger I'll update you on that...

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
Since the dealer service I have never experienced the original issues raised here and not seen any electrical glitches save the LCD touch screen on a couple of exceptionally cold mornings - just thought I'd feed that back...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members