Mk3 fr speakers

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys /gals

On the process of having a Leon 2014 FR delivered. I'm pretty sure from tje start that the first thing to do is to uograde the sounds.

Now forgive me last time I meddled with speakers and wires was 10 years ago easy. I used to have plants, subwoofers, the works, but I haven't caught up with technology nor do I want to go overboard with kit. I'd rather keep it simpler but with good sounds.

Can you run aftermarket speakers from the stock radio? If so, I'd presume they'd sound muted as the radio doesn't have much power to deliver?

Can you run a stock radio - - >plant - - > speakers or would I need an aftermarket radio? Do I loose the satnav and other functions if I buy an aftermarket dashboard?

I'd rather keep the original if I can hook a small plant directly to it.

I'd love to upgrade the speakers with something good quality, maybe a small plant if needed to have clarity and maybe a vwry small subwoofer, a 10or sonething like that.

Any recommendations suggestions or pointers are happily received.

One last q, how many speakers doesnthis car have? I presume 4, all the same Size?

Thanks

szczeslaw

Sep 24, 2014
FR has 8 speakers:
4 bass-midrange in doors, 2 tweeters in A pillars and 2 tweeters in back doors. With Seat Sound you also get subwoofer in the trunk and center speaker in dash.
Two questions - have you ever listened to the audio in Leon? Why would you want to replace the speakers? Factory setup is amazingly good. Really. It's better then the ones like Bose system in Mazda 6 or Cabasse in Laguna.
It sounds nothing like old VAG cars. As an audiophile i was very surprised and happy, when i first heard it. And to be honest to this day i am more than happy with it, and not willing to change anything.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Thats very encouraging to hear.
As said, still waiting on delivery, but I did havd a listen to a friends golf mk5 and that was way off from what I consider a good sound system.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks all for input.

Even still, can you wire a plant using the stock stereo that comes with the car? In case I want to add a subwoofer (which is not included in the car I'm buying or if not happy with the speakers)

stereo --> plant ---> subwoofer (speakers) ?

Last edited:

szczeslaw

Sep 24, 2014
Thats very encouraging to hear.
As said, still waiting on delivery, but I did havd a listen to a friends golf mk5 and that was way off from what I consider a good sound system.

Thanks for the reply!
Don't compare Leon to Golf MK5. Like said - i always hated the way VAG cars sounded. Any VW or Skoda was just rubish - boombox in the car...
But Leon is in a different league. It's the best sounding VAG i have ever heard.
Now VAG is changing something finally. For example they have finally ditched Bose (which is very much overrated for me), and in VW they will use systems made by Dynaudio, wchich i actually like very much.
I'm sorry, but i cannot answer to your question about connecting subwoofer. Never tried it.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Don't compare Leon to Golf MK5. Like said - i always hated the way VAG cars sounded. Any VW or Skoda was just rubish - boombox in the car...
But Leon is in a different league. It's the best sounding VAG i have ever heard.
Now VAG is changing something finally. For example they have finally ditched Bose (which is very much overrated for me), and in VW they will use systems made by Dynaudio, wchich i actually like very much.
I'm sorry, but i cannot answer to your question about connecting subwoofer. Never tried it.

Great to hear. I guess I'm predisposed by what I've heard before on stock cars. This will be my fourth and the last 3 all had their audio upgraded.

got seat sound in mine and it's good.
depends what you listen to, and how you like to hear it.

Glad again to hear that.

All these replies are good as they might save me money :D

cptSparko

Apr 11, 2014
A few threads on here about the quality of the audio. Don't spend ££ until you've heard the stock setup (upgraded SeatSound is v.good). Talkaudio coUK is a good site for SQ advice; someone has probably already done a mk3.

Serum-916Mk3

Serum-916Mk3
Nov 29, 2016
Germany
I own a 2013 Leon FR with Seat Sound. My driver side door speaker rattles when a song with bass comes on. My questions: 1 Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? 2 Would it be worth installing an aftermarket set, and if so, what size speaker am I going to need?

Also: what does VAG mean?

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I own a 2013 Leon FR with Seat Sound. My driver side door speaker rattles when a song with bass comes on. My questions: 1 Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? 2 Would it be worth installing an aftermarket set, and if so, what size speaker am I going to need?

Seats rattle period, I think you could wrap it in cotton wool and it'll still rattle.

VAG is the acronym of some German word, Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft but basically it references Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda and Audi as they're all in the VW group

Serum-916Mk3

Serum-916Mk3
Nov 29, 2016
Germany
Thanks. I guess I'll just remove the panel and take a look. Maybe I just need to secure a wire or something. If the speaker is blown/damaged then I'll look into replacing them. Thanks again.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

You'll need to do some sound deadening/proofing my passenger side door couldn't handle bass at all so I sound proofed the doors and well entire car. It's so much quieter on the road, no rattles and musicnis so much clearer. There's plenty of advice on here and the internet on how to.

Also whilst I'm here the front door speakers are 8" and the rears are 6.5"

Serum-916Mk3

Serum-916Mk3
Nov 29, 2016
Germany
Awesome. It doesn't sound like a blown speaker so I think some deadening material might be just the answer. Did you have any problems removing the door panel(s)? Also, what material did you use?

SpeedBlade

May 13, 2017
FR has 8 speakers:
4 bass-midrange in doors, 2 tweeters in A pillars and 2 tweeters in back doors. With Seat Sound you also get subwoofer in the trunk and center speaker in dash.
Two questions - have you ever listened to the audio in Leon? Why would you want to replace the speakers? Factory setup is amazingly good. Really. It's better then the ones like Bose system in Mazda 6 or Cabasse in Laguna.
It sounds nothing like old VAG cars. As an audiophile i was very surprised and happy, when i first heard it. And to be honest to this day i am more than happy with it, and not willing to change anything.

I know OP is on about an 2014 FR. Not sure how different they are. I have the 2017 FR without seat sound and I have a subwoofer center of the dash.

Flaw3d Genius

Jan 8, 2015
Glasgow
FR has 8 speakers:

I find the bass really boomy but i do agree with sounds better than the bose in mazda's i was amazed at how poor that system sounds.

Adding an amp with good speakers would work wonders in the Leon but i wouldnt bother adding a centre speaker....I had a centre speaker in my previous car which was a Astra VX-Line and to me having a centre speaker put the sound out of balance, Music is stereo left & right and that middle speaker putting out mid range was awful.

Last edited:

rickster665

Rickster665
Mar 8, 2017
Rotherham
hi i have a mk3 leon 65 plate but it has not got the centre speaker or the sub in the back does anyone know if the wire loom has the connections waiting so i can add these things or would i need to do some DIY work

mainly the centre front one i am interested in i have got the grill off and punched through the dash bits but can not seem to find the connection

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members