MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
In my case DSG has been invaluable, due to constant problems with arthritic feet, the commuter crawl (which is 90% of my driving time) has been made much easier in this car than my Mk2.

I do agree a manual is more involving from a pure drivers point of view, but so rarely do you get the opportunity to really thrash it out in a manual that I took the decision it was a sacrifice worth making for a pain free commute.

As i've said before, choice is good.

Also regarding the Cupra R, Scott sat through the very same press event, and has the press pack too. Seems a few of these publications gloss over the facts and just throw in a few chin rubs for good measure.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
When are the dealers going to have demo cars available? I'm guessing it won't be possible to get a demo in a manual 280 for quite some time, though it appears manuals were available on that press shindig.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
When are the dealers going to have demo cars available? I'm guessing it won't be possible to get a demo in a manual 280 for quite some time, though it appears manuals were available on that press shindig.

Dealers should start to receive their cars shortly by all accounts. Most had to order them in November. I think they will hit dealerships in time for the Geneva official launch which is early March, some may get them sooner. No word on when they can use them for road tests, in some cases they have to have them in their showrooms at first, under strict guidelines. But they may be allowed to register them immediately, just depends what SEAT UK say.

I think there were a couple of manuals at the media event Syphon can confirm, I know he got a go in at least one manual, but as far as I am aware the initial UK demo cars will all be DSG at least to start with.

Last edited:

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
I really doubt it if they mention Cupra R at all in Geneva Motor Show next month. It will be all about the Cupra 265 and 280.

And times on how fast it went around the nurburgring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shhhhh

In my case DSG has been invaluable, due to constant problems with arthritic feet, the commuter crawl (which is 90% of my driving time) has been made much easier in this car than my Mk2.
As i've said before, choice is good.

I'm with you on the commuting point... I commute about 45-60 mins each way, and in the traffic it can get pretty boring riding the clutch all the time - will be nice to be able to stick it in auto and snore my way in!

I've ordered a DSG this time around as well, and for some people it's the obvious choice... Like you say, everyone has their opinion. I'm looking forward to the pop on up-shifts, myself.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
At 230 bhp it'll be the golfs, but still a max of 350 tuning wise should be more than enough lol

Not so sure , when the edition 35 came out that was packing 230 bhp but used the same engine as the Cupra /S3 /golf R but just a defined one.
It also says it's a new engine , the golf gti engine been out for ages

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Whatever it is, it will be a blast. Stuff like this is what confuses me most about the cupra. I mean you get a car which is 80bhp more than a bogo TT quattro but has the same torque (so they can stick the cheaper DSG box in it) and is slower to 60. All the trick diffs in the world only ultimately mean you are 1wd when pushing it which aint cool.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Not so sure , when the edition 35 came out that was packing 230 bhp but used the same engine as the Cupra /S3 /golf R but just a defined one.
It also says it's a new engine , the golf gti engine been out for ages

The mk7 Gti engine yeah?

The ed35 had 235 which would be pushing the mk6 engine in dealer terms or simply pop a slightly detuned cupra eengine in it? No brainer imo there. Plus why would you put a bigger turbo in a car that doesn't need it, surely a faster spooling smaller turbo would make sense. But I'm just theorising

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Whatever it is, it will be a blast. Stuff like this is what confuses me most about the cupra. I mean you get a car which is 80bhp more than a bogo TT quattro but has the same torque (so they can stick the cheaper DSG box in it) and is slower to 60. All the trick diffs in the world only ultimately mean you are 1wd when pushing it which aint cool.

Pretty sure the Cupra has the S3 engine and the higher spec DSG box as well.

Scott

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
It was mentioned in the review - bigger brakes with cupra lettering for the 280 compared to cupra (265?). Do you have more details about this ? Is there really a difference beside the lettering ? I assume the 265 has the brakes from mk2 cupra, 345 mm single pot in front.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It was mentioned in the review - bigger brakes with cupra lettering for the 280 compared to cupra (265?). Do you have more details about this ? Is there really a difference beside the lettering ? I assume the 265 has the brakes from mk2 cupra, 345 mm single pot in front.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That element may of been my fault being subjective based on the press pack, as I helped Scott out by sub-editing his write up. The press pack says the following.

265 - Red Calipers

280 - Red Calipers with CUPRA logo.

I may of assumed they were larger on the 280, because they are going behind the 19" inch rims. I didn't go to the media launch, not sure if Scott noticed the difference in disc and calliper sizes, he can confirm that. So we'll say for the moment they are the same size, just lacking a logo.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.