MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
The optional performance pack that the 7:58 ring car had fitted will need to be announced at some point so those buying the car can also lap the ring in that time.....

Some say, that will include the stig as the driver as part of the pack.......

Some say it will come with a month off work and a thousand practice laps ;-)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
And some say that the ECU had been to Revo/APR/Shark for some enhancement before it took its chances on the track to get under 8 minutes :cheeky:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Sure I'll be in the minority but I don't think it looks that good, certainly not for the money being asked.

Sent from LG G2 using Tuppytalk

Mar 13, 2011
Just seen the link on the main page to the "sports styling kit"....

...it looks unreal. Should come like that standard man!

This is only for the S, SE and FR I think. The rear doesn't look that much different to the standard Cupra. The skirts are OK, but you can keep the rest of it.

Personally, I like the understated looks of standard Cupra.

Mar 13, 2011
aaaaah i was looking on me phone at the time so didnt read it properly.

Apology accepted :D

Seriously though, I do like the colour of the car in those pics. Might of dusted off my wallet and paid extra for that colour if it were available. But then again, probably not!

shhhhh

I would've paid for the blue. That colour is lovely and the black alloys look great too. Gone for black on my Cupra tho - limited choice as we all know but I think it'll look great in the dark. I've seen the red in person and it doesn't look that bad at all (I was expecting it to look bad for some reason). Probably because it's free and solid rather than metallic.

Mar 13, 2011
I would've paid for the blue. That colour is lovely and the black alloys look great too. Gone for black on my Cupra tho - limited choice as we all know but I think it'll look great in the dark. I've seen the red in person and it doesn't look that bad at all (I was expecting it to look bad for some reason). Probably because it's free and solid rather than metallic.

Congrats on the order. Black cars look fantastic when clean (have a black Saab as the family bus). I think I must be in the minority though, as I much prefer a solid paint finish to metallic / mica / pearlescent. Had my fair share of metallics in the past but out of choice would always opt for solid. Not just on cost either, I just prefer the look when clean and polished.

Not sure about a Cupra in black, though. There are a lot of black accents / contrasts on the exterior which will be lost on a black car. Will be extra stealthy though!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I went and drove a new Cupra 280 DSG today as the wife wanted to look for a new family car. I have to say, what a bloody good hot hatch it was. In my opinion it definitely is a worthy replacement to mk1 shape as to me it feels special inside - it is fully loaded and has premium quality cabin. Although to be fair all mk3 have nice interior. It looks nice outside and does have enough about it compared to FR without being loud.

The different drive modes actually do make a difference which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting something similar to PASM and Sports Chrono where the PASM go like coilover stiffness but it was more of a subtle change which I quite enjoyed. Throttle was sharper although steering weight wasnt that noticeable for the short drive I had.

In terms of speed - yes it is very quick. Not as quick as the Porsche which is to be expected as it's 80bhp down but plenty for that type of car and put a smile on my face. Proper impressed with the DSG, very much like Audi S-Tronic system however I would still rather have the manual.

It corners flat and you can see why it got a real good ring time. Just thinking back to my test drive of the Megane RS 250 I had before I bought the Audi S4 and the new cupra makes it look like a toy car. Not to put down the megane cause it is great machine but interior quality, engine wise and spec the cupra wipes the floor with it.

I absolutely love it... I am shocked by how good and special it felt. So my Mrs has buy in to purchase the car as the new family wagon. :)

Am I correct in assuming that i will be wasting my time trying to haggle for a discount and to just go through DTD?

Mar 13, 2011
I went and drove a new Cupra 280 DSG today as the wife wanted to look for a new family car. I have to say, what a bloody good hot hatch it was. In my opinion it definitely is a worthy replacement to mk1 shape as to me it feels special inside - it is fully loaded and has premium quality cabin. Although to be fair all mk3 have nice interior. It looks nice outside and does have enough about it compared to FR without being loud.

The different drive modes actually do make a difference which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting something similar to PASM and Sports Chrono where the PASM go like coilover stiffness but it was more of a subtle change which I quite enjoyed. Throttle was sharper although steering weight wasnt that noticeable for the short drive I had.

In terms of speed - yes it is very quick. Not as quick as the Porsche which is to be expected as it's 80bhp down but plenty for that type of car and put a smile on my face. Proper impressed with the DSG, very much like Audi S-Tronic system however I would still rather have the manual.

It corners flat and you can see why it got a real good ring time. Just thinking back to my test drive of the Megane RS 250 I had before I bought the Audi S4 and the new cupra makes it look like a toy car. Not to put down the megane cause it is great machine but interior quality, engine wise and spec the cupra wipes the floor with it.

I absolutely love it... I am shocked by how good and special it felt. So my Mrs has buy in to purchase the car as the new family wagon. :)

Am I correct in assuming that i will be wasting my time trying to haggle for a discount and to just go through DTD?

Of my two local dealers one won't discount the Cupra at all and the other has not even bothered to get back to me. I've gone with DTD, though a post in another thread is recommending broker4cars. Reading the T&C's on their site I wouldn't be comfortable with item 8 and I suspect you wouldn't be the first owner if you bought through them. But you pays your money and takes your choice. Might work out, might not.

I think anyone with the patience would get a decent enough discount if they were prepared to ring around dealers.

Gooday

Aug 15, 2001
Colchester, Essex
Visit site

Which Essex delear did you goto? Still waiting for my dealer to get back to me.

Thanks

Buzzlightyear

Mar 17, 2014
I'm amazed how cheap some brokers are already offering the new cupra 280 models. Sub-£23k for the performance and spec on offer... If I didn't need the economy of a diesel I'd be an owner too!

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
I'm amazed how cheap some brokers are already offering the new cupra 280 models. Sub-£23k for the performance and spec on offer... If I didn't need the economy of a diesel I'd be an owner too!

By all accounts economy could be good, in the 280 thread (not sticky) someone is seeing 40-45mpg out of the 1.8tsi, can't imagine the Cupra being massively behind that on cruise...