MK3 Leon FR 150 vs MK4 Leon FR 150

Educated Scruff

Nov 19, 2020
I mean... it is part of the highway code! :ROFLMAO:

Is there a way to turn down the sensitivity? Lane assist isn't available on the Ibiza, but the front assist system can be dulled down a bit.
Yes it is part of the Highway Code I just wish drivers would use it Instead of thinking we are all mind readers!!!
I was trying to explain if you just push the indicator a little and not all the way it’s designed to disable the lane assist momentarily to allow you to manoeuvre without it pulling on your steering. All part of the Highway Code ?

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The 3-flash option? Yeah that's what I tend to use passing cyclists.

I'm hoping that greater inclusion of lane assist might prompt some of the morons to discover what the indicator stalk is... but the fact that most high end BMWs Mercs etc have had it for a few years shows that they're more than capable of finding the off switch, but not the indicator stalk. :mad:

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Is there a way to turn down the sensitivity? Lane assist isn't available on the Ibiza, but the front assist system can be dulled down a bit.

Unfortunately not. I'm now simply going to switch Lane Assist off prior to each journey. We had it on earlier this afternoon going down a country road. As soon as we got above 30mph it started to misbehave. It firstly thought we were too close to the left hand side (and pulled the wheel to the right) and as we edged slightly further across to stop that warning, it immediately highlighted we were too close to the centre line and pulled the wheel to the left! Absolutely useless!! Fine for dual carriageways and motorways but way too distracting for normal road use. It may just be the roads around where we live but the fact that Autocar is saying the same speaks volumes.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
I mean... it is part of the highway code! :ROFLMAO:

Agreed... And whenever you do pull out you should indicate. However, as per my post above, the Lane Assist just cannot appear to cope with normal road use (unless the road is clearly marked and wide). In the country, you often have to stay clear of the left hand side of the road due to hedgerows that only get cut back once a year. That would then take you closer to the centre line than Lane Assist's logic believes is correct. Until you've experienced it for yourself it is difficult to describe how intrusive it is (with each distraction and pull on the steering wheel detracting from road safety rather than the opposite).

Educated Scruff

Nov 19, 2020
I have suffered the pain of it going through major roadworks on a A road that has a narrow lane for only car use and not suitable for lorries, then it the steering pulls one side then the other.

Reactions: Philk

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
I've not had a car with lane assist. There are different kinds of system though- lane departure warning (which beeps/flashes/vibrates), and lane keeping (which tugs the wheel) and full on lane centering, which self steers and keeps the car in the middle of the lane, and is typically activated as part of the adaptive cruise.

The Leon price list doesn't make much differentiation, whilst on the Golf pricelist there is 'Travel Assist', which I take to be the full on lane centering.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I've not had a car with lane assist. There are different kinds of system though- lane departure warning (which beeps/flashes/vibrates), and lane keeping (which tugs the wheel) and full on lane centering, which self steers and keeps the car in the middle of the lane, and is typically activated as part of the adaptive cruise.

The Leon price list doesn't make much differentiation, whilst on the Golf pricelist there is 'Travel Assist', which I take to be the full on lane centering.

The Leon's manual talks about travel assist and have seen it in the infotainment (when ignition is off) but disabled. I haven't seen it in any UK pricelist, it might be available in other countries but could be some issue with self driving in the UK

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Don't think it's the 'self-driving' functionality having some legal issue, probably more that the UK range is pared down. After all, the system is available on the Golf, and is standard on many versions.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I do agree with the lane assist being a pest on the MK4. It's overly cautious, from my brief time in a courtesy car I found that keeping one of the 'swipe windows' on the infotainment screen, driver assist gives you the option to disable relatively quickly.

It's a total nuisance but somebody will find a way to code it out soon enough!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.