MK3 roof bars on MK4?

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
I have the Thule roof bars which I bought for my first mk3 Leon in 2015. Looking at the Thule site now I need different bars, legs and feet for the mk4. The fitting all looks the same albeit the mk4 is slightly narrower but I can adjust this on the bar.

Before I damage my roof trying, has anyone else worked this out? Is it just updated part numbers or are the fittings genuinely different?

yaffa0

Jan 26, 2017
I have also Mk3 (5F) Leon ST and waiting for Mk4 car to arrive from the production. I made exactly the same question to my dealership and they confirmed that at least Mk3 ST Thule system (bars, legs and feet) can be installed to the Mk4 Leon ST as-is without any modification. I don't know about the HB model though.

bbglan

Jun 3, 2021
I have the Thule roof bars which I bought for my first mk3 Leon in 2015. Looking at the Thule site now I need different bars, legs and feet for the mk4. The fitting all looks the same albeit the mk4 is slightly narrower but I can adjust this on the bar.

Before I damage my roof trying, has anyone else worked this out? Is it just updated part numbers or are the fittings genuinely different?

Did you manage to fit them ok?

bbglan

Jun 3, 2021
Not tried yet, my nice shiny new car was T-Boned by another driver in July and has been with the repairer awaiting parts ever since ☹️If I ever see the car again I’ll try it and report back!
Holy crap 😥. I hope you were unscathed & you get the car back soon.

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Holy crap 😥. I hope you were unscathed & you get the car back soon.
Yes thanks we were fine. Car less so. Not sure if these mods will make the roof bars fit any better?🤣

Attachments

• 045E0E83-989B-4E64-83B2-6E95C526088B.jpeg
    045E0E83-989B-4E64-83B2-6E95C526088B.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 118
  • E66AE14F-DD8B-4873-AC6A-635C18FD121E.jpeg
    E66AE14F-DD8B-4873-AC6A-635C18FD121E.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 6D5599A7-47D4-4BDE-9F54-054DCDA211D8.jpeg
    6D5599A7-47D4-4BDE-9F54-054DCDA211D8.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Sad
Reactions: bbglan

bbglan

Jun 3, 2021
Yes thanks we were fine. Car less so. Not sure if these mods will make the roof bars fit any better?🤣
Lol. It's good you can smile about it. Nice low impact shunt there 🙄

Race is on to try them - you to get yours back or mine to rock up in the UK 🤣

Reactions: julian24110

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
The car is back good as new and now with the annual Xmas tree run being talked about I decided to try this. On closer inspection the mounting hole that was above the front doors on the mk3 is now above the rear doors on the mk4. This means the feet on the front bar would foul the bodywork if attached to the front of the mk4. It was too cold to try faffing about putting the front rack on the back and vice versa, but it did look as though the spacing was different anyway.

unless anyone has found otherwise I won’t risk damaging my roof and will be off to get at least new feet ☹️

Reactions: bbglan

bbglan

Jun 3, 2021
The car is back good as new and now with the annual Xmas tree run being talked about I decided to try this. On closer inspection the mounting hole that was above the front doors on the mk3 is now above the rear doors on the mk4. This means the feet on the front bar would foul the bodywork if attached to the front of the mk4. It was too cold to try faffing about putting the front rack on the back and vice versa, but it did look as though the spacing was different anyway.

unless anyone has found otherwise I won’t risk damaging my roof and will be off to get at least new feet ☹️
Glad you've got your car back 🥰. Thanks for the heads up about the bars. Not tried mine so won't bother lol

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Does anybody have update on this topic?
I will share my experience - I have used Thule bars, foots and kit from my Leon MK3 (MY15) and mount it to my new Cupra MY23. Fits easily, no issue at all.
When I detached them, I saw scratches on my black painted roof rails, at the points of the both edges of metal plate which goes "behind/under" the rail. Basically, on all four of them. Looks like a rock chip..
So now, it looks like I have marked the mounting position of them for next mount... :D

I have checked the Thule website before as well, like mentioned above, there is a new foot, new kit for Leon ST20-, but the mounting kit looks exactly the same as for MY15 -> screw the metal plate "behind/under" the rail. Otherwise it's just a piece of rubber (which will adapt that 1mm).

My feeling is, that kit 186110 will scratch black rails in completely same way as did 4015, as the metal plate is screwed in the same way "behind/under" the rail.

Anybody with different experience??

yaffa0

Jan 26, 2017
Does anybody have update on this topic?
I will share my experience - I have used Thule bars, foots and kit from my Leon MK3 (MY15) and mount it to my new Cupra MY23. Fits easily, no issue at all.
When I detached them, I saw scratches on my black painted roof rails, at the points of the both edges of metal plate which goes "behind/under" the rail. Basically, on all four of them. Looks like a rock chip..
So now, it looks like I have marked the mounting position of them for next mount... :D

I have checked the Thule website before as well, like mentioned above, there is a new foot, new kit for Leon ST20-, but the mounting kit looks exactly the same as for MY15 -> screw the metal plate "behind/under" the rail. Otherwise it's just a piece of rubber (which will adapt that 1mm).

My feeling is, that kit 186110 will scratch black rails in completely same way as did 4015, as the metal plate is screwed in the same way "behind/under" the rail.

Anybody with different experience??
I have used the Thule roof bars bought for Leon mk3 with mk3, mk3.5 and mk4 Leon. No scratches. I do have the black roof rails as well. I have washed the car carefully prior to attaching the bars. The Thule bars also have rubber protections in their feet. Make sure that you clean the rubber parts as well. If you have even a small sand grain there, it will cause scratch since the forces applied to the bars are enormous. They have to be really tightly attached to prevent them falling off.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Well, to be honest, usage of piano black super shine paint on roof rails, that was a really stupid idea.
I love MK3 silver brushed aluminum ones, they still looks like brand new.
Or VW Golf black matt "plastic look" rails, as well still like brand new, even there I have used Thule several times (of course with correct foots).

These scratches, "chips" are marks of the edges of the screwed metal plate which goes under the edge of the rail. And I think will never be better as it's metal screwed to paint. Which immediately means a "chip".
Weak point of nice design.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.