Mk3's with wind deflectors

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
The only problem I was thinking about was the gloss black finish of the wrap beside that dull black grille? Where did you order your spoiler? I was looking on SG Petch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about painting the grille gloss black? I'm toying with the idea of painting all the trims gloss black

wickage453

May 11, 2016
How about painting the grille gloss black? I'm toying with the idea of painting all the trims gloss black

I thought about that, but what sort of paint will not wear off easily?

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
I thought about that, but what sort of paint will not wear off easily?

I'm not 100% sure but I would imagine giving a couple layers of primer and then a few layers of topcoat paint like you would for any other part should do the trick. Might be worth researching to see if anyone else has done it!

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I'm looking to get some of these as everyone seem happy with them, but has anyone changed their mind and taken them off?
How easy is it get them off, in particular the sticky pads?
Thanks.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

W44DUP

May 17, 2016
West Sussex
I'm looking to get some of these as everyone seem happy with them, but has anyone changed their mind and taken them off?
How easy is it get them off, in particular the sticky pads?
Thanks.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

The 'sticky pads is not really a sticky pad, it's double sided tape. Not very good either in my opinion. I had to put the clips in and if you're sensible with the right tools these should be removed quite easily.

I haven't changed my mind but if one starts to come loose then that will be the day I change my mind!

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
My nearside rear deflector didn't stick with the glue so when I put the window down yesterday it half came out, luckily I wasn't driving, fronts seem solid but I'll probably have to remove the rear ones as they only have one clip each which is pants.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
got to say, i genuinely thought these were pretty much just a fashion accessory.

Nope - they actually work! :p

blasting around at motorway speeds with every window in the car down and the incoming wind was just perfect for a hot day.

They dont seem as effective at lower speeds but ace for a blast with the windows down :)

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I've got some coming for a 3dr, not sure if they will look a bit odd but will try them and report back

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Here are mine on my SC

59E8D741-BD59-4888-9DC2-2C6A176A3E1C_zpsc7ej4m4w.jpg

E620AD12-E220-40A6-9245-69BE5F4AD06E_zpsadsjbvqv.jpg

5206067A-9B27-4299-A846-260C5987C682_zps6iapckqu.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality, light was fading :)

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
My nearside rear deflector didn't stick with the glue so when I put the window down yesterday it half came out, luckily I wasn't driving, fronts seem solid but I'll probably have to remove the rear ones as they only have one clip each which is pants.

Yeah I had the same problem just removed the rear ones!

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Nah don't think so, if you have a look at how they fit; the edge of the window goes through the 'valley' of the clip, I reckon they'll be alright but it's hidden in the window channel anyway so I'm not fussed.

Hey Brady.

I have fitted Heko deflectors to my Leon 5 door.

I had to remove the metal clips after a few days as the noise they made when the window went up and down was ridiculous.. also as the clips push apart the window seal.. the wind noise was horrendous also.

The deflectors seem fine without the clips now.. except the driver side one..

The window channel is at the top is so thin, the deflector doesnt really have a place to sit.. and it keeps slipping down.

How did you fit yours so well and stop the window catching? Also do you have bad wind noise as well with the windows up?

Thanks

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Oke Doke. Let me know how you get on with them please, Ta

Finally fitted the front deflectors today and the fit appears to be really good.
I haven't driven since so I can't comment on the performance as yet.
I'll update tomorrow after 100 miles...

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
Hey Brady.

I have fitted Heko deflectors to my Leon 5 door.

I had to remove the metal clips after a few days as the noise they made when the window went up and down was ridiculous.. also as the clips push apart the window seal.. the wind noise was horrendous also.

The deflectors seem fine without the clips now.. except the driver side one..

The window channel is at the top is so thin, the deflector doesnt really have a place to sit.. and it keeps slipping down.

How did you fit yours so well and stop the window catching? Also do you have bad wind noise as well with the windows up?

Thanks

Hi, where abouts have you placed your metal clips? For the front deflectors mine are in the small vertical section of channel towards the front of the window, roughly level with the wing mirror.

No noise from the clips, have you pushed yours all the way in? I used a small screwdriver to push mine as deep into the channel as possible (gently though!)

My rears are loose, supplied sticky tape was useless and sparse. The clip saved them from dropping out on the motorway though thankfully.

Fronts fit lovely, as for wind noise there is only a slight rushing noise from the shape of the deflector as to be expected, there's no excess noise caused by misshapen window channel seals.

Hope this helps.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
So far I've fitted the fronts and they do seem to work well. With front and back windows down there is loads of fresh air (and bugs!) and virtually no buffeting. But I do have an issue with the wind noise when the window is shut, and I assume it is the clips as mentioned above.
Brady93... Did you put both clips in the vertical section by the mirror?
I'm not sure about fitting the rears, I don't want them fall out and taking a chunk out of my paint, or the car behind for that matter...

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Update...
Moved the top rearmost clip right back and the wind noise seams to have gone!

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
So far I've fitted the fronts and they do seem to work well. With front and back windows down there is loads of fresh air (and bugs!) and virtually no buffeting. But I do have an issue with the wind noise when the window is shut, and I assume it is the clips as mentioned above.
Brady93... Did you put both clips in the vertical section by the mirror?
I'm not sure about fitting the rears, I don't want them fall out and taking a chunk out of my paint, or the car behind for that matter...

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

I was only supplied with four clips (one for each deflector) so my fronts are held in with just the one clip by the wing mirror.

Will remove the rears and use those clips as safety on the fronts.

Interesting find with the wind noise being reduced with the clip further back, less channel for the wind to travel down perhaps?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.