Modifications

Hirdmeister

Hi.

I've had my 1.9 FR TDi for almost a year now and the temptation for modding it in some way has finally come around.

My last car (an MG ZS180), I slapped an induction kit on her and a sports backbox which produced a nice sound, I dont expect the same from a Diesel, however, seen on an online auction site, some Induction kits for the FR Tdi - anyone got one and whats the effects?.

Ideally, my wish list would be a sports backbox (again, anyone done?), a dump valve (Ditto...) and maybe the induction kit (once again?)

Some help / advice / comments / name callin!! would be appreciated.

Cheers

TTFN for now!

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Have a search on youtube, there's quite a few VAG TDIs with exhausts on there now and most have a description of what their exhausts consist of. As for an induction kit, prepare to get your wallet out as most will recommend a CAI (Carbon Air Intake) which is a sealed unit to reduce heatsoak from the engine. Saying that, I never had any problems with previous cars and an open induction kit and a heatshield unless it was like 25+ degrees outside!

Dump valve... NO NO NO NO NO! They don't work on diesels and sound ghey!:ban::p

Hirdmeister

thanks - just been looking at your signature strip - a remap... tell me about that? 182bhp? nice.

I will forget the dump valve!

I had an open cone on the Zs and never noticed any kind of heat soak...

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Remap is probably the first step people take when wanting to up the power. Basically a remap alters the fueling and turbo boost and gains are usually between 30 and 40bhp and 40-70lb/ft of torque. If you go back to the main page, there are loads of forum sponsors such as Revo, Custom-Code etc. Have a chat to each of them about what kind of power delivery you want and see what they can offer you. Depending on who you go with, prices range from about £250 right up to £500.

I've had my Leon on a couple of rolling roads and 182bhp was the lowest figure I've had and 199 the highest. All comes down to the dyno lottery and I've quoted my lowest figure.;)

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Just to add, you are limited by how much power you can run by the standard clutch. It's "only" rated at 300lb/ft so if you want more than a remap, get an uprated one (again, get your wallet out...). You might even want to consider uprating your clutch before you have it remapped if you've done quite a few miles on it.

Hirdmeister

cool - something I will have a look into.. but for the moment, gonna stick with cheaper mods..

Danzibar9

DERV POWER
Jan 8, 2008
South Oxfordshire
Hi Dan, Some good advise you give there. Not sure if i want to go as far as remap. But it does sound tempting. If i went for a minimal remap, would it affect running and mpg? and most of all reliability?

Danny_FR

Soot? Meh...
Mar 1, 2007
Blackburn, Lancs
Hi Dan, Some good advise you give there. Not sure if i want to go as far as remap. But it does sound tempting. If i went for a minimal remap, would it affect running and mpg? and most of all reliability?

Mpg remains largely unaffected unless you boot it all the time. In most cases such as a long steady motorway drive, it's actually more economical. The weakest part is the clutch as I've said above, apart from that I can't see, and know of anything else that has been a problem for other people. Touch wood, my clutch has coped fine with the remap.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a "minimal remap" although most good tuners will be able to reduce some of the torque if you are worried about clutch slipage.

Nothing else is prone to breaking from a remap (as far as I know). Just got to make sure you stay well on top of servicing and maintenance because it will put more stain on engine components. :)

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
A remap will not effect the mpg or reliability of your car. The only thing to worry about as already stated is the clutch might start to slip which can be uprated for between £400 and £800 fitted. An airfilter will make no difference to your car except noise unless you fit an open cone filter then you will also loose some power when the engine gets hot and worse in the summer. Exhaust again will make very little difference to your car apart from noise. If you go to somebody like Bell auto or P Torque who advertise on here they can lower the torque rating of the map to save the clutch.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.