Monsoon or Technik Grey?

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
I took the plunge yesterday and ordered an FR150 ST as a replacement for our 3yr old EXEO.
I managed to decide on all of the options that I wanted but was (and still am) questioning the colour I have chosen (Monsson Grey).
I have only seen a Monsoon Grey car in the flesh (at bith my local dealers) but from what I can gather the pictures in the brochure and on the website are of a Technik Grey car and I think it looks good also.
The colour samplers in the showrooms are not much help and look completely different depending what light you are standing in.
Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts or can post a picture of a Technik Grey car?
Just don't want to wait until the car turns up in 10-12 weeks and regret my choice...

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Seen the tech grey in the metal and it is frikken nice, darker than monsoon grey which also seen in the metal and is also very nice but on the ST i reckon tech grey.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
I vote Technic Grey, no suprise there then lol :whistle:

I too had originally ordered the Monsoon Grey but later changed my mind having seen the pictures of the Leon ST at one of the motor shows last year. I am glad I did, I would describe the difference as follows: the Tech Grey is a bit 'brighter' in the metal as it has a hint of Bronze where as the Monsoon Grey has a hint of Blue in the colour so doesn't look as bright and perhaps looks more matt looking. .

Here is a pic of mine, it was quite dark when I went to see it. But best thing is to see both colours in person side by side on a bright day if poss to see the difference :)

3wRpPtcU

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Liking that Tech Grey, can't see it on the configurator is it available for the SC as well?

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
I like the Technic grey as well. Reminds me of the old platinum colour.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
This front on picture is the only one I have of my monsoon FR.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Liking that Tech Grey, can't see it on the configurator is it available for the SC as well?

I'm pretty sure it's available for the SC too, there wasn't anything to suggest otherwise in the Oct 2013 online brochure.

Perhaps the Configurator hasn't been updated yet, I wonder if other new gadgets are available on it like Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) :D

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Thanks for all your responses (and photos), when you see the pictures of the two colours the difference is much clearer.
Still can't decide so I think I need to get to see the Technic in the flesh somewhere.
Didn't help when the wife told me last night she didn't like either grey and to go for white or black...
My concern now is whether the dealer will let me ammend the colour and/or changing it on time before the build week is booked.
Thanks again all.

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Didn't realise there was a 'new grey', have to look out for the technic grey looks nice and when you see the pictures quite different to monsoon.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for all your responses (and photos), when you see the pictures of the two colours the difference is much clearer.
Still can't decide so I think I need to get to see the Technic in the flesh somewhere.
Didn't help when the wife told me last night she didn't like either grey and to go for white or black...
My concern now is whether the dealer will let me ammend the colour and/or changing it on time before the build week is booked.
Thanks again all.

I suppose it will all depend on whether your order has been assigned a confirmed build week and whether the order has been locked down.

If the build is still a long time you should be able to amend the colour as I did it, however I did change it only a week after my dealer placed the factory order. Best to ring up the Dealer and they can confirm.

Brucie

Jun 1, 2004
London
Damn it! I was all set on Monsoon Grey as I didn't realise I could get Technic Grey... I've emailed the dealer to see if I can amend my order (ordered last Weds) before deciding for sure. I do like them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Finally made a decision today and asked the dealer to switch the order to Technic Grey. I couldn't make my mind up to start with as the Technic Grey looked bronze in the light the first time I saw it.
Just hoping now that I get a build date soon.

Chris P

Feb 16, 2010
East Midlands
Just out of curiosity, can anybody confirm if the Leon ST FR shown at the Frankfurt Show was Technic Grey?
There are pictures all over the place but if you google "autoevolution leon st frankfurt" there is an article and pictures from the show.
The white one is clearly white but trying to suss out if the grey is technic or not.

Brucie

Jun 1, 2004
London
Pretty sure that's Technic Grey mate. Took a few views to be sure, but am now pretty convinced. Those are the best pics of the colour I've seen (and I've ordered it!)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members