morette headlamps

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
hey fellas I need some help pretty badly if im to get the cordy on the road. After acquiring some morette headlamps and grill from toxxin (I know, I know, not many people fancy em) i've had a few probs getting them wired up. symptoms included no power when lights were switched on, only sign of life was flashing the full beams, and the full beam light on the dash was staying on constant, even though they werent actually on

there was a problem with one of the wires off the relay which needed a new connection which i did but also noticed the relay was well corroded aswell

anyway eventually i tried a new relay BUT not the same relay design, the old one had a resistor where this one is different but the fitment is the same. anyway now just tried it and theres alot more life in the lights, side lights turn on BUT....

iv confused myself now with which light is the dipped beam and which is full. I thought the dipped was the one behind the fish eye lens on its own and the full was the one sharing with the side lights.

but now the bulb sharing with the sidelight is coming on when the full beam is not switched on so is that not the full beam or is this because of the new relay iv fitted?

please help as the ibiza is off the road with no insurance and the cordoba has no lights :(

thanks
Carl

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the old lights were working fine, the new ones are the same connection but theres a relay aswell where there wasnt on the old lights

and as said they do work now with a new relay but its just so confusing that i aint sure whats supposed to be turning on/off when i switch to the dipped lights and then to the full lights

cos i think that the full lights are coming on when they arent suppossed to

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Did you connect that wire up to the battery?

The lights are plug and play, and they passed an MOT 2 weeks ago so its confusing as to why they won't work.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
lol just pm'd you didnt notice you'd post

yeah the wire is on but the strange thing is it seems to be feeding the dipped bulb...so the dipped light only lights if that wire is connected to the battery, but this is only on thepassenger side...i dont know why theres only a relay on the one side, think the dipped light on the drivers side was on (but very dull) constantly

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
It wouln't have passed an MOT if the dipped light was on constantly. I checked the lights before I set off on each setting and they fired up correctly.

I have a feeling its the relay you've got, or its a wiring issue. One of my exes had a similar problem to the one you initially had and it was fried bulb connectors. The wiring shouldn't be a problem as I've connected your old lights up and they fire up fine. Maybe one of the wires has come loose in transit, or the bulbs have fried?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
gonna give it another try again this afternoon, bought another relay (an they aint cheap) its different from the other i bought but still cant seem to get the exact same one as they dont do them or numbers dont match up.

dont think theres owt wrong with the bulbs myself...as iv seen them all on with my own eyes, its just they dont come on when they are supposed to

fingers crossed with new relay

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
okay..*sigh* fitted the main light unit with the new relay and its a step forward.
the full beam light seems sorted now, its only switching on when its supposed to, so when set to sidelights, only the sidelights are on!
But now i have no dipped light at all, try 2 bulbs but nothing :(

its really pissing me off now as Im sure its just the relay but iv bought 2 new relays costing 5.99 and 12.99 and still not 100% right. so now i fell iv got 1 option left...gonna source the exact hella relay that was with the lights when i got em of toxxin and if that dont sort it im gonna cry

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you only need standard relays

i have a kit under the bed if you need a pattern ?

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
thats the thing bud i have no idea what you mean by standard relays?

i assume you mean just any relay that fits?

had aload of starting trouble lately due to wet/dampness because the lights and grill have been removed so long. but its running now. but still nowhere with the lights

fitted new bulbs 2 relays and its no better really. :cry: again lights are coming on when they shouldnt be and no dipped

anything you can give me flapper would be great...even a picture of the wiring on both headlights would be usefull to look at. if nowts sorted in next couple days its going to a garage $$ :(

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
nah no joy at all

thing with that is seat wouldnt stock the relay cos its not a seat part or am i wrong?

my brother is gonna take it to one of his threads who boasts alot and see if he can do owt but i think hes a retard so thinking we'll take it to a local garage that work on alot of electrics etc.. and they should have many more ways of testing parts that i dont. dont worry buddy we'll get there, its just irratating that there aint many things it could be and i cant solve it my self!

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
yeah, i would have got you round with a cuppa and a butty when you were at the chepstow show (assuming you went in the end) as i live around the corner, but that was the day we picked it up :p

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
20quid later and its all working...all the garage did is take the wires apart and spray the connections with something like wd40 or alike to work at the corroded parts put it all back together and its all working fine, for 20quid i suppose atleast its working now, cant say im a fan tbh, if it was solely my car id get rid of em but my brother seems happy now they work. so now i can get back to servicing it as we have no history so better to be safe. new plugs new oil/filter, hopefully new air filter as the current one is pretty rotten and new exhaust in the future as the cherry bomb is kinda annoying :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as long as ya sorted

sounds daft but getting a reasonable multimeter and a few basic lessons on how to use em could save ya a few bucks for wiring troubles

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members