MPG for 2.0 TDI Ibiza

DaveG

Oct 11, 2014
Thinking of buying new the FR 2.0 TDI, see the book states combined of 60.1mpg. Could I ask what owners are finding they actually get.

Main interest is the 2.0, but would also like data on 1.6 if you have one.

Regards
Dave

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
question?

is there a reason for NEEDING a diesel?

the 1.2 and 1.4 tsi engines can be just as economical

plus the cheaper price of the petrol lump and the cheaper price of petrol can outweigh the cost of the diesel

I have seen as high as 55mpg on my 1.2tsi

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
Hi, I have had a 1.6 tdi FR for a week and have averaged 55.5 mpg brim to brim on the first tank. The trip computer shows as high as 70.3 on a 70 mph motorway run, so might be optimistic.
My other Ibiza, a 2013 1.2 FR with DSG, indicates around 48 and achieves between 43 and 49 under similar conditions for comparison.
The tdi is far faster in the mid range than the 1.2, as you might expect. I haven't been disappointed so far with the 1.6.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
hi, i've had my 2.0 TDi FR for a year now, covering over 15K miles.

I'm averaging a real 54mpg. The computer usually shows 58mpg.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Had my 2.0TDi about 3 years now.

Typical real average of around 52mpg week to week

Have seen a real 60+mpg on good motorway runs.

Worst ever was a real 44mpg ( mostly short trips over the Christmas 2 weeks )

As Big Col says - the trip computer is optimistic and I have not yet worked out how to re-calibrate it in VCDS.

Last edited:

DaveG

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks so far, think mid 50s would be good for me and on par with my current car. So looking like 99% sure its going to be the 2.0TDi over the 1.6TDi as there seem little difference in MPG.

Dave

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
What I have noticed is that the 2.0TDi owners seem to have very few DPF issues compared to the 1.6TDi owners.

I think the 2.0TDi has been fitted to so many VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda cars now that they have the spec right for day to day use.

blairy

Oct 17, 2013
Darlington
All depends how you drive it.

If you're going to thrash it about on short journeys, expect something in the region of mid 30's. But then when you need economy out of if, I can see mine creep up to 60 and beyond, on long motor way journeys. It all depends where you sit your cruise control at.

Town driving, if i'm not in a rush I'll expect to kick about 45-50 out of it.

My sister has the 1.2 TSi, and to be honest, I've never seen her get anywhere near the figures which everyone raves on about. She was down to as little as 24 the other day, but like I said before its all on the size of your journeys and how you're driving. I think she averages about 35.

If i was you, you're going to get better economy out of the 2.0TDI engine, and a **** tonne more of torque, which is always fun. Yeah the price of diesel is "slightly" higher, but the range you'll get out of a tank is that much more, so I never really understand why people bring that into the equation.

As far as the DPF filters go, I've had my light pop up on my dash board once, I was driving the thing like a tit, and booting the **** out of it, start stop style. I just took it out for a spin doing what it says in the manual and it dropped off, never has it been a problem. the 2.0TDI CR engine was built in mind of the DPF filter, whereas its predecessor 1.9TDI PD engine wasn't so much, which is why they had a lot more problems.

DaveG

Oct 11, 2014
All good feedback, thanks.

Currently driving 1.6TD Fiesta (12) and getting about 56mpg, but its does lack power at times, hence moving to the 2.0TDI would solve that.

Most of my daily trips are between 16-70 miles each way and can't see having issues with DPF, in fact no idea if Fiesta has one or not, if it does never noticed issue with it.

The other car was looking at was Clio DCI 90 and although their stated mpg is far better than Seat, I just can't stand the high gloss black plastic of the cab.

Thanks for all in put so far, forgive me if come back with more questions soon...

Cheers
Dave

blairy

Oct 17, 2013
Darlington
The clio isn't a bad shout, for a 1.5 they feel quick! My mate works for renault so he's usually plodding along in that exact car. And yeah, the economy of them takes the floor hands down.

Theyve got some nice gizmos, but in my opinion, you're paying a lot of a french motor... German engineering all the way!

And yeah, the interior is a bit overkill in my opinion

DaveG

Oct 11, 2014
Thanks all, Engine fixed, will be the 2.0 for me then, just need to arrange test drive when they have one in to drive.

Deleted member 90668

Ignoring the MPG gauge in the car and using the brimming tank method I average 500-580 miles to a tank.

50-53MPG, the big changes are when the air-con is on "auto" and when the DPF is doing a passive re-gen (roughly 5-8mpg drop).

Long stints up the motorway yes 60mpg is obtainable but not at 70mph in my opinion more 60mph.

Lowest I have ever had was 38mpg and then an EML which turned out to be a faulty oxygen sensor, I've never had a DPF issue to date.

Enjoy the 2.0 lump it is a cracker and this is from someone who has only ever had hot hatches.

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
Urban about 50.
Mixture about 55.
Motorway, outside lane, about 58.
Constant 60mph, about 65.

All actual, 2012, unmodified, on 40k currently and has improved massively vs 5k miles when bought. Much more economical than the old 1.6TDI which was always in the 46-50 range. DPF comes on more than the 1.6 but easy to clear with a good blast.

dlok

Feb 4, 2014
Heres my data for my 2013 FR CR 2.0 with 15k miles, data tracked with fuelog

Judging by other peoples posts i'm not getting very good economy, those top 50mpg figures were on 70 mph 6th gear motorway runs with cruise control. On one occasion the car was reporting 64mpg however it came out at 51.46 at the pump.

Screenshot_2014-11-19-19-40-01.png

Screenshot_2014-11-19-19-35-41.png

Last edited:

Ajmarker

Jun 19, 2014
The 1,6 tdi is a great engine..

Ive drove mine 30,000 kilometers remapped to 140hp/330nm
Hasnt farted wrong once :)

I put in a CR177 turbo, EGR delete, DPF delete, darkside FMIC, and a custom remap, and has had this setup for 7000 kilometers.

The cost was cheap and didnt take long and man does it drive well!

Driveabillity is amazing, it just pulls and pulls all the way to 200+
Beat my friends TFSI 200 bhp several lengths..
It accelerates like a bull in all rev range, max nm at 2650 rpm, turbo spools fast.
and it doesent feel or sound like its being pushed at all.

MPG has gone up alot, i did 700 km. On 45 litres before, now I do 900.

Im saving LOTS on mpg and the cheaper tax compared to the larger engines.

the car is 1170 kg 186 hp/357nm, does 0-100 in just around 7 sec.

DaveG

Oct 11, 2014
dlok, interesting figures.

Guess there is going to be differences as not everyone drives the same, even on the same roads.

As long as I get about a real 50mpg I'd be happy, less that current Fiesta 1.6TDI, but its not as good as 2.0 Ibiza (in my view)

Looking forward to ordering, going to order for new registration (15) as it gives me time to decided on a few extras and colour.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.