MPG Query

Marino

Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham
So, when accelerating through gears 1 - 2 - 3, is it normal for MPG to register between 9/15 when hitting the 3000 rev mark? I ask because i'm not used to having a higher powered car and it just seems like a lot of fuel to go through.

It's a 2.0 TDI 170

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yep, on the live readout you will see maybee single figures when flooring it. on the flip side when coasting you will see 100mpg plus. these figures go towards the average MPG, average is the one with the circle with a line through it.

andycupra

status subject to change
er yes

your in a low gear..
your acelerating..

what were you expecting? - what mpg are you getting over all? what sort of driving do you do? eg average length journey, traffic? type or roads? speed driven..
sounds like you drive fairly quickly if you are going up to 3,000 rpm.

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
Yeah it was the live read-out. That's fine as long as I know it's running properly. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Drive until your fuel low light comes on. Stick £20. reset your trip counter and see what you get till the the fuel light comes on. Its about the best way to tell

Can range anywhere between 110-200 miles for £20

Marino

Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham
er yes

your in a low gear..
your acelerating..

what were you expecting? - what mpg are you getting over all? what sort of driving do you do? eg average length journey, traffic? type or roads? speed driven..
sounds like you drive fairly quickly if you are going up to 3,000 rpm.

The point is I didn't know what to expect. Now I do, my last car barely had a trip counter.

My average MPG is 35 last I checked, and it's all different sorts of driving, but I haven't done any motorway miles as yet.

andycupra

status subject to change
of course you then have to convert the money spent into litres as petrol prices vary....

So the best way is to fill the tank to FULL. (this is the easiest place to get back to consistently).
Then drive the car till most of the tank is used. eg when light comes on.
Then fill up to full. You then know how many litres you have used. work out the gallons (litres/5*1.1) then simply gallons / miles covered is mpg.

eg.

50 litres used, divided by 5 = 10, multiply 10 by 1.1 = 11 gallons.

330 miles covered. 330/11 = 30mpg

(so for those in leons, you need to be getting around 360 miles to a tank to get 30mpg as a tank is around 55 litres)

If you view the live mpg you will always get low mpg when accelerating, especially if in low gears or accelerating aggessively.
Constant speed is good for mpg, as is anticipation, - easy off throttle earlier rather than using brakes give you much better mpg. (slowing down off throttle and in gear uses no fuel).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
The FR i demo'd showed 5-6mpg on the live display when hoofing it along but the average was consistently around 36-37mpg which considering the driving i was doing wasnt too bad. On a motorway run followed by fast A-roads and a reset it stayed at around 43mpg

The Octy vRS i had could show 3-4mpg when giving it the beans in 1st, 2nd and 3rd :D

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
While on the subject of MPG I nearly got my first 600 mile tank today (598 miles). I do mega motorway miles, and had a few smooooooth runs.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
With the petrol FR, my target is a 400 mile tank. :shrug:

haha is that even possible? I hit 305 miles last time round and thought that was a lot when usually its 280/290 tops...

for recoding mileage, costs etc I use http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

I use trip computer to see how far I get between refuellings, ask for a VAT receipt at the till with amount of litres and price and put that on spritmonitor - it works out mpg and lets me keeping track of how much does fuel actually cost me.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I've had 365 miles out of mine, tank took 55 litres on the fill up that day though - normally fill up around 50 litres.

That makes me feel better. I've had over 390 out of mine and probably could have had 400 but I didn't want to chance it as the range had already been on "0 miles" for a few miles at that point. :)

I've found I get better mileage using vpower (compared to Tesco 99 Octane), so I've switched to using only vpower now.

I joined the Shell drivers club the other week and signed up for Airmiles. Worked out today that I'll earn a free flight to Amsterdam in about 1.5-2years... ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise