Mpg

Meatball

Thirsty as anything in town, but I find it really good on the motorway, I'm going to glasgow a week on friday, so i'll finally find out what i get on a proper trip.

Was going down a really long hill a couple weeks ago, pushed the clutch and reset the computer. 99 mpg! :bleh: Put the clutch back and it counted down in tens very quickly!

slipper

I'm keen on monitoring my MPG as I drive a long way to work (25mls) every day. My 1.8 16v has averaged 35.6mpg over the last 3000 miles. It used to only get ~33mpg but I put a set of warmer (BKUR6ET vs BKUR7ET recommended NGK's) plugs in last service and it jumped up 3mpg. No big diffrence in performance noticed.

I once got 50.1 mpg on the first 11 miles to work, but this soon dropped when the road cleared :whistle:

Has anyone tried iridium plugs in their 16valver? Any difference in economy/performance?

e5sta

Sep 19, 2006
i have the 16v - only having filled up like two or three times since i have owned the car it takes £35-36ish depends how empty and i get 280ish miles to a tank

compared to:

my 1.6 8v Bolf had real fuel economy issues £43 used to get me 270miles at most - trying to drive at low revs everywhere made no difference - just made the journey twice as long! tenner used to get me 60-70 miles
all 1.6 golfs have bad fuel economy - shame tho - i wouldnt mind paying more for petrol if it actually went somewhere fast :lol:

So to me the cupra seems great!

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
How do people manage these high MPGs. I average about 28mpg. And out of a tank that gets me about 230miles, at least 140 of them are motorway miles. And I always wait for the car to warm up as well. Meaning I dont go over 2000rpm for the 1st 10mins.
BTW this is all on Vpower as well.
Only managed to get 37mpg once, while going in traffic on a b-road at 40mph in 5th gear.

Maybe there is something wrong with it. but than again I do drive it like a GTI should be driven ;)

Mig

Last edited:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
elnigel, what colour is your MK2 TDi? I have seen a green one on a 'V' and a silver one around Chesterfield recently.

Mig, if your driving it like a GTi should be driven then the fun is worth the high fuel bills ;) the only way i get mine to be economical is changing gear as early as possible and by accelerating at the kind of speed that heavy lorries do

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
Last week I covered just over 1000 motorway miles in my 2.0 16v gti, I averaged 36.9mpg at a 70-85mph motorway cruise.

Normally, with lots of stop start driving I average between 30-33mpg.

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
Hi all .

If any of you lad's are worried about mpg then do what i did , buy DIESEL :D

My Last couple of cars have been fords , 1.8 and 1.6 zetec ( focus )

The 1.8 drunk petrol like CHAZ AND DAVE drinks beer , and the 1.6 while fairly economical was just gutless .

My current car is a 1.9 tdi se 130 cordoba ( 55 plate ) and i wish i'd bought a diesel years ago :clap:

On a recent motorway journey driving at a constant 75 mph i averaged 60 mpg over a distance of about 200 miles, not bad for a 130 bhp engine

I'm quite happy to put up with a noisy engine ( on tickover ) for fuel economy like that ,

mark :seatgod:

Last edited:

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I've had diesels, and to be honest, they bore me.

I don't think I've ever seen my MFA show over 26mpg...the Cordy used to get 43mpg on my old commute (apparently!)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Hi Cupra kid, my tdi is sanabria green! but you wont see it until may as ive sorn declared it while im driving my golf.

my golfs a g reg small bumper in tornado red, let me know what you drivin and i will try and spot you!!!:lol:

My cars an S reg red Cordoba 2.0 16v, i'll look out for your golf, i think tornado red is about the best colour to have a GTi in, My ibiza GTi was that colour but it got wrote off :cry:

daicarman

I used to get aroud 80 miles to a tenner out of my 2.0 8v better if the misses drove i don't know how she does it LOL!!!!

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
One thing I have noticed in my 8v is that economy drops like a stone if you start cruising at much more than 75mph. Regularly see 40+mpg on the motorway at 70-75, drops to mid 30's at 80-85.

Twisties are a slightly different kettle of fish - but I still generally average the right side of 30mpg. Alright, so I may be a bit older than I once was, but I'm still not known for hanging around.

Can't really comment on around town driving - I generally walk or use a bike...

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
the most ive had out my 95 2L 8v is 43mpg, this was crusing at 60 for a good hour or so, motorway. and this was calculated, the MFA read nearly 45.

and who ever mentioned 1.6 Golfs.. i had a 89 driver, did 12mpg, mileage at time of sale was 174039 :) ( on the original peirberg! )

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
As long as I get about 150 miles from £20 I'm pretty happy. I'd expect 200+ miles from £20 if it were all motorway driving.

Enjoy the petrol before its all gone! :funk:

Mitchell

Nov 2, 2006
90miles for a tenner is pretty good. I used to get just under 80 miles with my ten pounds in the old 1.4 :)

Mig

Yeah thats what i get.

How many files does everyone get when they car is on the red. Done 25 before but got a bit worries i was going to run out, so went anf filled up again.

jadwot

Not sure how to convert it to mpg, but for what its worth fellas, i get around 8.5ltr/100kms on a 20min drive... drops to 7ltrs/100 anything longer....includes a few traffic light gp's drops back to 7.5-8ltrs. Not too shabby for a 2ltr i reckon:D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.