My Cupra journey ends - until next time

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
With a baby on the way (my first) and a series of recent problems with my Cupra 280, I have sold it and purchased a 66 plate Golf GTD.

I know some people have done the opposite: GTD > Cupra 280.

My experience with the Cupra was a mixed bag. It blew my mind when I first got it, and continued to do so for three years. It was a fantastic all-rounder – but I wanted something that was a little nicer inside, and well within warranty.

The GTD I've chosen is black and has a manual gearbox. It’s on the regular suspension (non-adaptive) and 18” alloys. So, it’s a bog standard GTD with no options. BUT, the only kit it gives up to the Cupra is leather seats. It adds adaptive cruise control and an electric parking brake (my Cupra was a 2014 plate). So, it’s better equipped in some ways. It has Bi-Xenon headlights and heated seats, which were a must for me.

I looked around plenty of Leon’s to replace mine with. I considered the 184 FR 5-door hatchback and ST, but I just couldn't stomach them. They felt like a downgrade compared to the Cupra, while the GTD felt much nicer inside and simply a higher quality product.

For anybody interested, here’s my thoughts so far:

Performance

I’ve swapped a DSG Cupra 280 for a manual GTD. I lost a connection to the road with the DSG, and I’m happy to be back in a manual.

In terms of outright performance, there’s absolutely no contest. The Cupra is much faster than the GTD. Stock for stock, the Cupra would nail it. And even if the GTD was remapped, the Cupra 280 would nail it. There is no point in the rev range the GTD would keep up.

Coming from a stage 1 Cupra 280 with 370bhp, with GTD’s engine feels very slow - but it isn’t in reality. The GTD builds speed well enough, without being frantic. It’s a good engine and certainly has enough performance for a daily. It’s just not on the same level as the Cupra, which is understandable, and something I can live with. I’ll be getting the GTD tuned within the next few months I think, to give it an extra kick.

The bottom line: The Cupra 280 is on another planet in a straight line. But, the GTD isn’t embarrassing. I’ve just been spoiled with a 370bhp monster.

Interior

The GTD's interior feels very similar to the Leon, but then again it is the same car. The controls feel the same, an exception being the Adaptive Cruise Control functions which are on the steering wheel instead of on a separate stalk.

In terms of quality, I have to say the GTD is much better inside. It's the little things, such as the lack of creaking when you push on a door cards, the aluminium door handles, and the felt-lined door bins. I also think it feels much better screwed together. It feels tighter. But I suspect that's because a) it's newer, and 2) VW have obviously improved the product since 2014.

A few points: The boot on the GTD has two side pockets behind the wheel arch for 'stuff'. It also has a ski-hatch on the seats which my Cupra did not.

Another thing I noticed is refinement. The GTD is quieter inside than the Cupra.

Exterior

The GTD looks great, I have to say. It's on 18" alloys and it's black. The Bi-Xenon headlights and LED daytime running lights look great. I also think the Bi-Xenon headlights are better than the LED headlights on my Cupra, after some brief night tests.

Is it better looking than the Cupra? Honestly, I don't think it is. But it's not a frog, and although it is a common car compared to the Cupra, I can live with that.

Overall

A drop in performance versus the Cupra, and obviously not as good handling when pushed, but the GTD ticks all the right boxes for me - it's a very good all-rounder. It's got a nicer cabin than the Cupra, and ACC and an electronic handbrake which I didn't have before. I'm also back in a manual. The DSG was great, but boring.

I loved my Cupra on its good days. But it had too many bad days. Rattles, knocking noises... enough was enough.

Obviously, it's also better suited to the mileage I'll be doing this coming year.

Why didn't I get the FR 184?

This question will probably be asked. And my reason is simple - I couldn't live with dropping down from a Cupra to an FR. Even though the GTD is the same car, it doesn't feel like a downgrade which the FR felt like. I hope that makes sense.

If I was unhappy with the Cupra, why get a GTD which is basically the same car?

It is 'basically' the same car. But it's in warranty, and it felt much better screwed together on my extended hour-long test drive. I love VAG cars, I had a VW Polo 1.2 TSI before my Cupra. I also test drove the following cars:

1. BMW 120d xDrive
2. BMW 330d xDrive
3. Mercedes CLA Shooting Brake
4. Ford Focus ST

I didn't enjoy driving any of them.

Also, I wasn't unhappy with the Cupra. But the small things wrong with it took the enjoyment out of driving.

Anyway, I've done my best to explain why I've chosen to get a GTD. Any questions welcome - fire away.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeboyFR

Upthere

Jul 10, 2017
Uh oh. I'm going from a gtd to a 300 dsg.
I was getting fed up of running out of steam at 4k rpm when it only starts at 2k rpm. Best suited to mway or DC driving and not the b roads I drive. I do worry about these rattles and knocks I'm reading about with Seat. The gtd is well put together, even tho I had an oil pressure switch go, but within warranty so no cost.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I was getting fed up of running out of steam at 4k rpm when it only starts at 2k rpm. Best suited to mway or DC driving and not the b roads I drive. I do worry about these rattles and knocks I'm reading about with Seat. The gtd is well put together, even tho I had an oil pressure switch go, but within warranty so no cost.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the Cupra 300, Seat have really upped their game with it and it is a far more refined car than my old 280.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
With a baby on the way (my first) and a series of recent problems with my Cupra 280, I have sold it and purchased a 66 plate Golf GTD.

I know some people have done the opposite: GTD > Cupra 280.

My experience with the Cupra was a mixed bag. It blew my mind when I first got it, and continued to do so for three years. It was a fantastic all-rounder – but I wanted something that was a little nicer inside, and well within warranty.

The GTD I've chosen is black and has a manual gearbox. It’s on the regular suspension (non-adaptive) and 18” alloys. So, it’s a bog standard GTD with no options. BUT, the only kit it gives up to the Cupra is leather seats. It adds adaptive cruise control and an electric parking brake (my Cupra was a 2014 plate). So, it’s better equipped in some ways. It has Bi-Xenon headlights and heated seats, which were a must for me.

I looked around plenty of Leon’s to replace mine with. I considered the 184 FR 5-door hatchback and ST, but I just couldn't stomach them. They felt like a downgrade compared to the Cupra, while the GTD felt much nicer inside and simply a higher quality product.

For anybody interested, here’s my thoughts so far:

Performance

I’ve swapped a DSG Cupra 280 for a manual GTD. I lost a connection to the road with the DSG, and I’m happy to be back in a manual.

In terms of outright performance, there’s absolutely no contest. The Cupra is much faster than the GTD. Stock for stock, the Cupra would nail it. And even if the GTD was remapped, the Cupra 280 would nail it. There is no point in the rev range the GTD would keep up.

Coming from a stage 1 Cupra 280 with 370bhp, with GTD’s engine feels very slow - but it isn’t in reality. The GTD builds speed well enough, without being frantic. It’s a good engine and certainly has enough performance for a daily. It’s just not on the same level as the Cupra, which is understandable, and something I can live with. I’ll be getting the GTD tuned within the next few months I think, to give it an extra kick.

The bottom line: The Cupra 280 is on another planet in a straight line. But, the GTD isn’t embarrassing. I’ve just been spoiled with a 370bhp monster.

Interior

The GTD's interior feels very similar to the Leon, but then again it is the same car. The controls feel the same, an exception being the Adaptive Cruise Control functions which are on the steering wheel instead of on a separate stalk.

In terms of quality, I have to say the GTD is much better inside. It's the little things, such as the lack of creaking when you push on a door cards, the aluminium door handles, and the felt-lined door bins. I also think it feels much better screwed together. It feels tighter. But I suspect that's because a) it's newer, and 2) VW have obviously improved the product since 2014.

A few points: The boot on the GTD has two side pockets behind the wheel arch for 'stuff'. It also has a ski-hatch on the seats which my Cupra did not.

Another thing I noticed is refinement. The GTD is quieter inside than the Cupra.

Exterior

The GTD looks great, I have to say. It's on 18" alloys and it's black. The Bi-Xenon headlights and LED daytime running lights look great. I also think the Bi-Xenon headlights are better than the LED headlights on my Cupra, after some brief night tests.

Is it better looking than the Cupra? Honestly, I don't think it is. But it's not a frog, and although it is a common car compared to the Cupra, I can live with that.

Overall

A drop in performance versus the Cupra, and obviously not as good handling when pushed, but the GTD ticks all the right boxes for me - it's a very good all-rounder. It's got a nicer cabin than the Cupra, and ACC and an electronic handbrake which I didn't have before. I'm also back in a manual. The DSG was great, but boring.

I loved my Cupra on its good days. But it had too many bad days. Rattles, knocking noises... enough was enough.

Obviously, it's also better suited to the mileage I'll be doing this coming year.

Why didn't I get the FR 184?

This question will probably be asked. And my reason is simple - I couldn't live with dropping down from a Cupra to an FR. Even though the GTD is the same car, it doesn't feel like a downgrade which the FR felt like. I hope that makes sense.

If I was unhappy with the Cupra, why get a GTD which is basically the same car?

It is 'basically' the same car. But it's in warranty, and it felt much better screwed together on my extended hour-long test drive. I love VAG cars, I had a VW Polo 1.2 TSI before my Cupra. I also test drove the following cars:

1. BMW 120d xDrive
2. BMW 330d xDrive
3. Mercedes CLA Shooting Brake
4. Ford Focus ST

I didn't enjoy driving any of them.

Also, I wasn't unhappy with the Cupra. But the small things wrong with it took the enjoyment out of driving.

Anyway, I've done my best to explain why I've chosen to get a GTD. Any questions welcome - fire away.

Should've got the 330d xDrive, best of both worlds performance and economy

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
A sound bit of reasoning there. Pick up a second hand dtuk box and you will feel a real transformation in the engine, revs freeer, picks up sooner, makes it feels like how it should feel. Still no cupra but a big improvement

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
JACUPRA; any reason you didn't go for a Golf GTI with performance pack? There are lots out there, so it should've been possible to find the 'right' one.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
JACUPRA; any reason you didn't go for a Golf GTI with performance pack? There are lots out there, so it should've been possible to find the 'right' one.

Two reasons:

1) I'm upping my mileage next year to over 15k. So a diesel makes sense.
2) The GTI is a faster car, as is the Cupra. But I don't actually drive my Cupra anywhere near its limit 99 per cent of the time. I actually drive it like a diesel - well the DSG box does that for you in Drive anyway. So the extra performance isn't felt most of the time.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
A sound bit of reasoning there. Pick up a second hand dtuk box and you will feel a real transformation in the engine, revs freeer, picks up sooner, makes it feels like how it should feel. Still no cupra but a big improvement

Yep. I have a TDI-Tuning box from my Cupra that just needs re-programming. £70 and that happens. I have no doubt it will liven up the car a fair bit.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

I have a friend who did the same! The new LED headlights on the 300 are outstanding and the infotainment system is much better. You'll love it mate!

I actually really like the GTD's engine. Agreed - it runs out of puff at 4,000rpm but that's OK because by then I'm at the speed limit.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Should've got the 330d xDrive, best of both worlds performance and economy

The 3- Series was definitely fast, but the interior was horrible in my opinion. Felt really dated and the standard equipment is a joke. No professional nav, no xenon's, no heated seats. Absolutely naff all.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Yep, I sat in a new pre-registration 300 at my local SEAT dealership and it felt better screwed together than my 280.

I've gone from a 280 to a 300 ST 4Drive and there is a marked improvement in refinement, ride and perceived quality - not just me thinking that as all my friends who've been in it so far have remarked on that without prompting , and my wife and 11 and 8 year old kids have also said they prefer this one to the 280 for the same reason. The doors close with more thunk and it's quieter inside on crappy roads.
But I do sympathise with your reasoning for going to the GTD mate. I've always thought they were far better looking than the GTi in any case and I owned a Mark 4 GT Tdi many moons ago, with a whole 130bhp - felt like a rocket ship compared to the 1.6 SE I traded in for it. I think you've made the right decision and one I'd probably have done too had I been in the same situation.
Now you just have to hope HM Government don't make diesels the new pariah.....
Enjoy your new car and post some pics when you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise