My first week with the Mk 3 leon

danw

Well I had made the decision that saving some cash on running a car was an absolute must when my 2.0 TSI FR came to the end of its 3 year deal. I very nearly bought a used 5 series. But in the end the numbers didn't work out, and the deal on a new Leon looked very attractive. In the end I decided to go ahead with a brand new Mk3. Like I said cost is now more important than it was so I went for the 1.2 TSI SE in white.

I had some concerns to be honest, like lack of performance and driving enjoyment, jumping from a sporty, powerful FR model to an SE with much less power. But after a week of ownership, I have to say I am seriously impressed with the new car. OK it has less outright performance, but by no means does it at any time feel gutless, there is definitely still enough power to have some fun. I put this largely down to the incredible approx 200kg weigh saving vs my old car. And the handling! i'm amazed, I honestly believe the new platform is so good, even in SE spec it handles better than my old FR, it's an absolute pleasure to drive. I am also really enjoying the improved refinement, comfort and the substantial improvement in build quality.

On it's first tank of fuel (running in, messing about sitting at tick over etc) I have got 430 miles on a tank with the computer showing 40 miles remaining. So i'm sure I will be seeing 500 miles between fill ups once everything gets settled down.

Now I'm just hoping the weather warms up a little bit this week as predicted to I can do a full protection detail.

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I'm in my first few days and I'm more impressed than when I test drove the car. I'm hitting about 50 mpg on mixed diving all ready. 50 odd miles in. Torque and power are much better than I remember on the test. Build quality is much better than previous seats I've known. Interior is massively pleasing and comfortable. I reckon this 1.6 tdi is going to be a bitch of all the fleet companies. Apart from my little niggles (dealer related) I can't fault the car yet. Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Good to hear comments like that from someone who had a previous more powerful car and good news on the MPG results. I've just ordered a 1.2 tsi SE also, as I'm getting bad mpg/DPF issues with my current car (2.0 tdi) due to short trips as I no longer drive about the country for work. Any chance of some pics? Thanks.

danw

glad my thoughts were of some help.

when are you due to get your car? What colour did you go for?

Only took a couple of snaps on my phone so far, I am doing a full detail tomorrow, so photos will follow on from that.

The only thing doing my head in at the moment is a bloody dashboard squeak/rattle. Gave it a spray with some silicone lubricant and a bit of a light "whack" today, fingers crossed it sorts it. Really don't want to be taking it back to the dealer to fix it, chances are they wont find it anyway.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
We deffo need some pics, wee bit devoid of any pics so far...so who is man enough to show theirs???

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Dash rattle is a feature on mk1, mk2 and they thought they'd leave it be for the mk3. :cartman:

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
when are you due to get your car? What colour did you go for?

Not sure when it's due, was ordered last week and dealer suggested 10 weeks but I'm not sure what the current lead times are at present, how long was your wait?

I have also popped for White, with Tech Pack, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, F&R Sensors and Spare Wheel, have also ordered some steel wheels for winter use.

Regards

danw

well after a full on day of detailing i am now absolutely knackered! and the car is looking great! and way better than when i collected it from the dealers. Overall the dealer did look after me pretty well but I'm a bit disappointed in the standard of their PDI First car I have ever had where I have needed to remove stickers and bits of plastic.

And now here are a few photos - excuse the drive way photos. I'll take some more in a better location when i'm in the mood.

DSCF0683_zps7d0eb7c3.jpg

DSCF0681_zps4c79e880.jpg

DSCF0680_zpscc352b0a.jpg

DSCF0679_zps6760e5c1.jpg

DSCF0675_zpsaf73e97f.jpg

DSCF0674_zpse94b4c90.jpg

DSCF0670_zps20197f64.jpg

DSCF0667_zpsc3c44c1c.jpg

DSCF0663_zpsf7258935.jpg

DSCF0662_zps3425622c.jpg

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
They ain't so bad, they have a good spec, also mazda 2, still the new Leon looks nice, it's just not the bargain it once was.

I suppose its each to their own.

I went to look at an Audi A1 for the wife but to get one with decent spec was in excess of £17k, which then makes the Leon look pretty good value!

We went round to VW and bought her a VW Polo 1.2 RLine. Its a turbo charged engine which is remarkeably nippy and amazingly refined. Comes with alloys, loads of sporty extras and cost £3000 less than the A1.

Like I say, each to their own, but if you remotely enjoy driving, for crying out loud, dont buy the citroen, they are bland with a capital B!

Andy:rofl:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.