My new Leon Ecomotive 1.6 CR SE - first thoughts

Deleted member 74601

The only other thing I would add to GainfulShrimps advice about the slow lane is :

• Try and stay with the flow of traffic. When traffic flows at similar speeds it creates a 'down wind' effect which can help improve your economy. If you're overtaking people at quite a speed difference, or people are doing the same to you, you will see slight mpg drops on the instantaneous display. They are minor, but if you do a lot of motorway driving like me, it can add up over 700-800 miles per tank ;)

Also, I do mostly motorway driving (I do around 30k a year and do 75-80% motorway), last summer I had a running average of 65mpg with a cruise speed of 70mph. I didn't see much of an mpg gain at all by dropping my speed to 60mph as I only saw a 1-2mpg increase per tank, because the fuel saving was negated by the need for more frequent regenerations. I'd prefer save time if the savings on fuel are that small!

This summer, with a looser engine, I expect it to be up nearer 70mph. I also do all of my driving withl a completely full, heavy boot full of tools/cables, with heavy parts on the back seat 1 or 2 times a week. In an empty car, at 70mph, I could be getting over 70mpg, and I believe that's because I don't baby the car in anyway :)

Couple what I've said with GainfulShrimp's advice and you should be set!

As an additional note, not sure whether you can do this, but I've seen most people on the internet who have it, reporting a 3-4 mpg increase per tank by getting the remap done. If you plan on keeping the car long enough, it will save you money in the long run. The nice side effect is you'll have smoother power, and more of it at around 135BHP.

ADBTLeon

Feb 21, 2013
Carlisle, Cumbria
Cheers for the advice guys

Your 50 mile round trip, what are the roads like? I've found dual carriageways are the worst road to drive on because you're constantly accelerating to high speed and decelerating for traffic lights and roundabouts.

About a mile of A69, 20 miles of M6 and, come off the slip road, a couple of roundabouts and the remaining few miles are dual carriageway. I've been reading through a lot of the threads on this forum, lots of negative comments about consumption, but thought it best to ask you guys for advice since you're doing it right lol. Been reading up on hypermiling tips and trying to put them into practice. Tried sitting at 56/60 mph on the motorway, which vastly improved the MPG on my Megane, but hasnt made a dent with the Leon thus far.
The long gear ratios are definitely taking some getting used to (and the suggested gear changes on the MFD are useless) :lol:. Coasting in gear, up sliproads and towards traffic lights feels very out of character aswell, I was used to coasting in neautral for the past few years.

I'll see if I can put any more of GainfulShrimp's tips into practice and get a good tank out of my beast ;).

The only other thing I would add to GainfulShrimps advice about the slow lane is :

• Try and stay with the flow of traffic. When traffic flows at similar speeds it creates a 'down wind' effect which can help improve your economy. If you're overtaking people at quite a speed difference, or people are doing the same to you, you will see slight mpg drops on the instantaneous display. They are minor, but if you do a lot of motorway driving like me, it can add up over 700-800 miles per tank ;)

Also, I do mostly motorway driving (I do around 30k a year and do 75-80% motorway), last summer I had a running average of 65mpg with a cruise speed of 70mph. I didn't see much of an mpg gain at all by dropping my speed to 60mph as I only saw a 1-2mpg increase per tank, because the fuel saving was negated by the need for more frequent regenerations. I'd prefer save time if the savings on fuel are that small!

This summer, with a looser engine, I expect it to be up nearer 70mph. I also do all of my driving withl a completely full, heavy boot full of tools/cables, with heavy parts on the back seat 1 or 2 times a week. In an empty car, at 70mph, I could be getting over 70mpg, and I believe that's because I don't baby the car in anyway :)

Couple what I've said with GainfulShrimp's advice and you should be set!

As an additional note, not sure whether you can do this, but I've seen most people on the internet who have it, reporting a 3-4 mpg increase per tank by getting the remap done. If you plan on keeping the car long enough, it will save you money in the long run. The nice side effect is you'll have smoother power, and more of it at around 135BHP.

Been considering the remap, if I didn't find any other solution, but don't really want to alter the engine until it's out of warranty.
So you think its as well sittting at 70mph than 60 considering the minimal gains?

Are you guys on LRR tyres? Are they worth all the hype?

Madly in love with my new car anyways :funk: aside from the MPG so :funk:hopefully I'm going to see some improvement.

Cheers lads :D

Deleted member 74601

I went from the tyres on the car (Pirelli P7s?) to Michelin Energy Savers and immediately saw a 3-4 mpg increase. Not sure whether that's due to my motorway mileage as well.

I understand what you're saying about the remap.

Yes, personally I think sitting at 70mph is worth it because of such the minimal gains I saw. Yes you increase your mpg in the short run, but then sitting at 60mph causes more regenerations so some of the savings are negated.

Like I said, the gears do take getting used to but I don't change where I will drop below 1,500RPM (well from first to second I do).

As a general rule of thumb I change to 2nd just under 20mph, change to 3rd just under 30mph, change to 4th just over 40mph (like 41-42mph) (I think 4th is a longer ratio so it struggles doing 40mph in 4th), then don't use 5th until I hit 60mph.

mattster

Oct 4, 2009
I went from the tyres on the car (Pirelli P7s?) to Michelin Energy Savers and immediately saw a 3-4 mpg increase. Not sure whether that's due to my motorway mileage as well.

I understand what you're saying about the remap.

Yes, personally I think sitting at 70mph is worth it because of such the minimal gains I saw. Yes you increase your mpg in the short run, but then sitting at 60mph causes more regenerations so some of the savings are negated.

Like I said, the gears do take getting used to but I don't change where I will drop below 1,500RPM (well from first to second I do).

As a general rule of thumb I change to 2nd just under 20mph, change to 3rd just under 30mph, change to 4th just over 40mph (like 41-42mph) (I think 4th is a longer ratio so it struggles doing 40mph in 4th), then don't use 5th until I hit 60mph.

im not sure if this is valid on the 1.6 (ill find out on the 7th march when my se copa gets delivered) but on my 1.9 eco i find that its best to ignore the recommended gear as 4th at higher revs is better than 5th at lower revs below 55ish also cruising at 65 on motorway is the best speed for mpg where i average 60-65 per trip. with no stop start on the 1.9 its town driving that lets that model down as i struggle to do 40-45 around town.

Last edited:

mattster

Oct 4, 2009
i just got mt 1.6 eco se copa and have to say i'm very impressed, its a marked improvement over the 1.9eco with a much smoother engine. i ordered it with black leather which is much better quality that i expected.
I took it from Bristol to Swindon this morning with 60 miles on the clock and averaged 62mpg cruising at 65mph. my old 1.9 was averaging 50-55 whist running in so much better already.
i love the rear LEDS and bi xenons also.

Congrats! Glad you like your CR treehugger too. I'm quite envious of your rear LEDs. :)

Be aware that the computer takes a while to calibrate properly (not that it's ever as accurate as odometer+receipt mpg calculations)... so you may be getting something quite different to 62mpg in reality, as your mileage is still so low.

On the plus-side, my real mpg figures kept improving (on the whole) for at least for first 20k miles!

I agree that the bi-xenons are fantastic. The heavy fog on my drive to work this morning was a rare opportunity to see just how closely they follow the direction of steering. ;)

mattster

Oct 4, 2009
Your not wrong about the calibration it said 100 mile range on half a tank when it arrived yesterday with 10 miles on the clock, it's up to 600 now after I brimmed it and have done 100 miles.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ADBTLeon

Feb 21, 2013
Carlisle, Cumbria
Your not wrong about the calibration it said 100 mile range on half a tank when it arrived yesterday with 10 miles on the clock, it's up to 600 now after I brimmed it and have done 100 miles.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The MFD has a mind of its own, filled mine a couple of days ago and it predicted 410 miles to empty, now says 500. From my first full tank I only saw 485 miles/42MPG :(. Going to try sitting at 65 and see if this tank's any better.

Visited the dealer the other day and was fobbed off by both the owner and the mechanic, who thought the mileage sounded about right for the size of the tank. He's got a 1.9 Passat and pays close to £100 for a tank and he only gets 600 miles to a tank....bet it's not a bluemotion. Their solution was to fill the car to the brim, do a couple of hundred miles, fill it again, give them odometer readings and litres used. They would then work out the MPL (I can do math!) and ask Seat if the figure was about right for the model.
I wouldn't waste my time going to them to question the MPG if I didn't know what I was talking about...bunch of :censored:.

On a lighter note, glad you're happy with your new car mate :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.