My new Leon Ecomotive 1.6 CR SE - first thoughts

I picked up my new factory-order car on Tuesday after an 11 week wait (that seemed much longer).

Executive summary: I'm very impressed so far. :)

As well as the facelift changes I was expecting, there are several little bits that have been fixed: there's a proper hard plastic battery cover instead of a piece of cardboard, for one. And the useless CD holder at the back of the centre console has been switched for a slightly-more-useful fourth cup holder. Also, the car is configured for all doors to open with one click but they lock after a few seconds of driving - this is how the pre-FL should have been by default. (I changed my FR's locking behaviour via the MFD options, but the most logical setting should have been the default.)

The little compass at the top-left of the MFD was a pleasant surprise too - should be really useful for those occasions where sat-nav is overkill but you just lose your bearings slightly. I don't know if the compass is specific to the Media System though? Slightly less impressive are the seats - I was spoiled by the wonderful black/grey alcantara seats in my pre-FL FR and that's one of the few things I miss about it. My new one has rather plain velour type upholstery and they're still acceptable I suppose but just not as good as the FR seats by any stretch. You can't have everything though, meh. :(

The new climate controls are a big improvement IMHO. Still not convinced that there's a need to duplicate the climate info on the stereo screen, but maybe there's a good reason I can't think of? I like the new Auto setting with two modes - a gentle one for only front passengers and a more eager setting for cooling down a full car of passengers.

In terms of drivability, the Ecomotive is nippier than I remember from the test drive I had: 1st and 2nd are actually quite rapid for getting moving and - as long as you ignore the gear change indicator on the MFD - the taller gearing of the remaining gears is quite subtle; you just need to wait longer before changing up. The gear change indicator seems to be pretty dumb though... going up hill especially, it often suggests changing up too soon and things can get a bit laboured if you take its advice (it then suggests you immediately change down again of course, stupid thing!). Not sure really what use it is, tbh: surely people know that using the highest gear possible without labouring the engine is the most efficient way to drive? Good for learner drivers and those people who might forget they have a fifth gear maybe? Hmm... :confused:

Cruising on major roads is a relaxed affair in the Ecomotive: 60mph is about 1500rpm or so (in 5th gear), and the little common rail diesel is very quiet inside the cabin. With the window open soon after starting from cold, the engine is pretty noisy, but that's to be expected. Once warmed up it's only a bit noisy especially with the windows closed. I think road noise is slightly improved against my FR, although there's not much in it and it might just be down to the wider, lower-profile tyres I had on my FR.

I got the convenience pack because it was required for the technology pack and so far I'm not convinced that having auto-everything is much more than a gimmick. After using the screen washers, the auto-wipers seem to get a bit carried away, for instance, and it turns the dipped-beam xenons on if it's merely a dull afternoon... bit overzealous IMHO. I've already swapped the bog-standard yellow-candle DRL bulbs for some of the blue/chrome MTECs and they are an improvement. Unfortunately one of the resistor wires that worked fine with LED sidelights in my FR, doesn't want to play with the new car. Probably just a dodgy connection I guess. :shrug:

However, the new stereo - Media System 2.1 - is an absolute delight so far. The Bluetooth system is very easy, very clear and simple to use. And best of all, I no longer get the random disconnects with my iPhone 3GS, which used to drive me crazy in my FR. My Brodit pro-kit phone holder still fits perfectly on the A-pillar so that's obviously something that hasn't been tweaked for the facelift.
Haven't tried using the sat-nav for directions yet but in map mode it's perfectly clear enough.
With my FR's standard stereo, playing an MP3 CD wasn't great: you got a crappy scrolling display of truncated title information - only if you pressed a button - and the MFD just showed "folder X track Y" type details.
Playing mp3s from an SD card on the new system is refreshingly well implemented: you just insert the card and a few seconds later, it starts playing with what appears to be decent ID3 support so you get the artist and album shown as well as the track name in full... and you can navigate the folders properly. Nice! :funk:
As I type this, I'm filling a 32GB SDHC card with tunes so I shouldn't need to bother with CDs for quite some time. ;)

Parking is altogether more relaxed now. Much as I loved the DSG for most driving, I grew tired of the occasionally-jerky low-speed manoeuvres with it (especially going up an incline in reverse, the DSG sometimes just seemed to lose the plot). It's been a real relief to be the master of my own clutch again! In fact, I hadn't realised how much the DSG had lost its appeal for me until I went back to a quality manual box. (I'd taken my FR in for diagnosis on the DSG some months ago but their 'Master Technician' chap said it was normal and I was probably just used to old-fashioned automatic gearboxes...)
With the front and rear parking sensors, the little cartoon of the car and surrounding space that appears on the stereo screen is totally pointless, of course, but it's a fun little "look at my fancy new car" type thing to show your friends. My 2 year old was impressed, anyway... :rolleyes:

The main reason I switched, though, was the fuel costs: £350 per month on V-Power was slowly killing me and prices are only going to get worse. I'm happy to report that the Ecomotive is living up to its promises so far. I've only done just over 300 miles in it but already I'm seeing >60mpg journey average for my daily commute, according to the computer. Of course the engine is still running in and the trip computer probably needs to calibrate itself with a few tanks of fuel, but so far, the signs are very promising. I'm expecting to see >600 miles from the first tankful and that's impressive for a new engine I think. Once it's run-in a little, I reckon 850 miles per tank will be easily achievable and hopefully even more. :D

I was initially worried that the OE low rolling resistance tyres (Pirelli P7, 205/55 R16) were dangerously lacking in grip, but they just weren't scrubbed in. After a week's driving, they are so much better than when I left the dealer forecourt. For those who are interested, the recommended tyre pressures are much higher for this car than my FR - the petrol cap says 39psi on the front and up to 41psi at the back (depending on load). The OE tyres are exactly the same size as the winter tyres that I bought for my FR, so I'll swap to those in a few months time.
This hasn't adversely affected the ride quality in any way though... the ride of my Ecomotive is *so* much more comfortable than my FR - even compared to the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro combination that I'd had fitted to my FR. This is a real win for me as it's still not at all wallowy in the corners - just the right balance of firmness and compliance for a daily drive in my opinion (might be too soft for blasting it around a track, but then it's not the right car for that anyway!).

The auto start/stop thingey does it job perfectly although sometimes it doesn't kick in if, for instance, the engine is not yet warm enough or you have the air-con blasting away. I haven't quite worked out all of the conditions that need to be met for the stop/start to be enabled, but no matter: it works most of the time and at 40-50mpg around town, I'm not going to complain!

I will post some pics when this weather has cheered up enough for me to bother giving it a good clean. :)

If anyone else has one of these new tree-hugging Leons, I'd be interested to hear what you think of yours.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
It sounds a nice motor.

Could you please post a pic of the fourth cup holder an the new plastic battery cover.

If you dont want the climate control to flash up on the Media screen you can turn it off in the Media system settings.

jonny neate

Thanks for sharing this with us,I found it very interesting. Hope all goes well,Jonny

Thanks chaps. :)

I'm afraid I don't know if the slightly modified storage in the centre console and plastic battery cover are new with MY2011 or facelift cars in general, as my FR was pre-facelift. They might even be specific to the Ecomotive SE for all I know, although that seems unlikely. I'll try and get some pics of them at lunch today if the weather holds up.

I've noticed that the 1.6CR is very easy to stall - I've stalled it a few times now - but I'm putting this down to me not being completely used to the clutch yet. It's a nice side effect of the auto stop/start that if you stall the car, you just depress the clutch and it starts up again automatically.

Last night was the first time I've driven the new car when it's been dark enough to notice the AFS and cornering fog lights doing their thing... I was pleasantly surprised at how well the AFS follows the steering through the countryside bends - really makes a bigger difference than I expected although I found myself kinda hypnotised by it as I've never had a car with such fancy headlights and it's interesting how closely they follow the turns. Sad, I know - sorry! :rolleyes:

Oh, I didn't mention the DAB radio in my review above (included as standard with Media System 2.1) but I can confirm that it works very well... reception is much better than I expected so I think they've used a proper aerial amplifier etc. I live in the sticks and every portable DAB radio that I've tried won't get any reception either in or outside my house, but the Ecomotive gets a decent signal! :confused:
Best of all, if you drive through an area with no reception, it automatically switches to the FM version of the same channel, if it's available (e.g. the BBC national radio stations), then switches back again once you have a DAB signal again. :funk:

The consumption figures are creeping upwards as I hoped they would. I got 65.3mpg average on my way to work this morning. :D

Last edited:

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Good write up.

Does the media 2.1 accept full post codes?

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Good write up, amazing fuel figures, need to be looking down this route a bit more as the other half is doing a 100 mile a day commute now.

@New Dude: Sorry, haven't tried this yet but I'll give it a go later and report back. I did notice that my parent's home street wasn't in the system when I tried to navigate there by address... so maybe they've gone for a "not very detailed but broad" European coverage?

@Jonwm: Well worth a test drive at least I would say, with a commute like that. Mine is around 90 miles per day and it quickly gets expensive. These eco cars are often advertised on the basis of their VED Band A status - meaning a free tax disc - but it's not a big factor in the running costs. Compared to my (petrol) FR, for instance, the Ecomotive will save me £235/yr in road tax against roughly £2,800 saved in fuel costs! Much as it warms the coccals to not pay any road tax, it's a drop in the proverbial ocean really. ;)

I had a go at using the sat-nav last night on my way home... and it seems, frankly, a bit basic.

For one thing, I couldn't see anywhere to search for an address by postcode - not even partial postcodes. The 'address' facility simply lets you drill down by Country > City > Street Name > Number etc. Maybe this is because it's a Europe-wide system and postcode formats vary wildly across the EU? Dunno the reason, but it's an important omission unless I just didn't look hard enough for the option.
However, the 'take me to a petrol station nearby' and the similar option for car parks looked like it could be useful when on holiday or something.

The unforgivable problem was that the guidance announcements continued - at the same volume - during a phone call via the Bluetooth system... I had to apologise to the caller and struggle to find the menu item to turn the volume of the announcements down during the phone call. That's just plain dumb. Seriously, wtf is that about!? :angry:

Maybe I'm missing something as I haven't read the manual for it yet, but TomTom it sure ain't! Ah well.

On the plus-side, I've had 660 miles from the very first tank of diesel, which I don't think is bad at all. I reckon >900 miles might be possible if hypermiling on a long trip, once the engine has run-in... we shall see! :funk:

Chickened out and filled up at 684 miles tonight. For it's first 700ish miles, that's pretty amazing IMHO. It had been on 0 miles range for quite a while though. ;)

This car is almost scarily economical. I'm impressed.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
How much did it take to fill it?

If it was approx. the full tank ~55 litres that's pretty good (56.5 mpg). 800 miles to a tank might be achievable if you are very careful (~66 mpg), I don't know if you could average 74.5 mpg over an entire tank...

How much did it take to fill it?

If it was approx. the full tank ~55 litres that's pretty good (56.5 mpg). 800 miles to a tank might be achievable if you are very careful (~66 mpg), I don't know if you could average 74.5 mpg over an entire tank...
It took 54.7 litres I think, so it was near-as-dammit empty, yes. I haven't yet seen over 67mpg average even for one journey, but then it's a new engine and only been used for two weeks. I'm hoping the figures will improve as it loosens up a little.

With my FR TFSI DSG, I was able to beat the 'official combined' consumption figure by a couple of mpg when hypermiling.
Presuming the the official combined figure of the Ecomotive - 74.3mpg - will eventually be similarly achievable, then I don't think 900 miles is an impossible target. It'll certainly be hard to reach those figures with just my regular journeys (mostly rural minor and major roads but about 30% urban) but if I have a couple of long trips from the same tank, it just might happen. I will, of course, post here first if I make a 900 mile tank some day. :D

Had another opportunity to use the bixenons in proper darkness last night - the AFS thingey is really very good. It's almost like it reads your mind as you're driving through the bends.

Could you please post a pic of the fourth cup holder an the new plastic battery cover.

Sorry this has taken a while but better late than never...

Battery cover is sort of at the middle-top-right of this pic, just beneath and right of the bright orange plug thingey (technical term) that you can see at the back of the engine bay. I think it has a picture of a battery on it, although this is just a quick photo with my cameraphone so might not be able to see the detail:

ecomotive-battery-cover.jpg

And here is the modified storage at the back of the centre console, showing a sort of cupholder has replaced the CD holders:

ecomotive-console-storage-1.jpg

ecomotive-console-storage-2.jpg

It's obviously not suitable for every shape and size of drink - I miss the excellent flip-out cupholders from my mk4 Golf for that - but it's more useful than some thief-magnet CD storage that was in the same position on my pre-FL FR. :)

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
It took 54.7 litres I think, so it was near-as-dammit empty, yes. I haven't yet seen over 67mpg average even for one journey, but then it's a new engine and only been used for two weeks. I'm hoping the figures will improve as it loosens up a little.bends.

The figures will go up if you're driving stays the same :p
But it wasn't really empty.
I chickend out at:
Tankdatum Liters Bedrag Brandstof
23-04-2009 57.67 44.48 Diesel
31-08-2009 57.95 48.10 Diesel
(3rd column is Euro's)

With the last line it started coughing though when going over speedbumps. Both times were slightly by accident as I have a Shell card.

I don't get your mileage though :rolleyes:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.