My new Leon Ecomotive 1.6 CR SE - first thoughts

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I agree, that storage / cup holder on the back of the console seems a lot better. Need to find a part number now.

Maverick88

Oct 19, 2006
Devon
How have you been getting on with the Sat Nav & the DAB radio, I've ordered the Technology Pack for my Leon & I was wondering what your thoughts are now you've had the car for a while ?

I love the DAB radio and the SDHC card compatibility. As a whole, it's a nice unit. I'm still in two minds about the sat nav. The instructions are OK and the little display for route information in the MFD is a nice touch. It does its job just fine... but it's a bit awkward to define a journey: there's no postcode support (that I've found) and some minor roads/streets aren't listed, so you need to opt for an alternative destination nearby more often than I've had to with the other sat navs that I've used.

I suppose I'll get used to the voice prompts continuing during phone calls but I would have preferred them to stop during calls - or at least having the option for this in settings.

The display is nice though. Using the map to find a street when you're already close is useful, for sure.

I got just over 83mpg journey average today (according to the computer) with a shortish motorway trip... nice. :)

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
On the Media system 2.0 you can enter the first four digits of the post code when it asks for the street (should be the same for 2.1). If a street does not seem to show try I have found the town / street combo not correct with the maps. Some of them are not where they should be.
The Sat Nav talks over the phone becasue its higher prority than a phone call, but you can turn the Sat Nav volume down with out going into the menu by just using the volume control, but the Sat Nav has to be speeking at the time.

gbh

gbh
Apr 27, 2008
Sussex
Great review. I take it the cup holders and battery cover are new for 2011 model?

I second that .... Great Review. Having had MY11 FR CR DSG (must get round to changing my photo!) now for about 3 weeks I virtually agree with everything said apart from the DSG bit. I've come from a manual FR TDI to the DSG this time, obviously early days and at the moment I'm thoroughly impressed, still only time will tell eh!

I must say I really don't use the Sat Nav but after playing with it I am a bit surprised they didn't update it to accept Full Postcodes instead of the part Postcode. Like I say doesn't worry me much and really like the rest of the Media System. Like yourself I too find myself almost mesmerised by the cornering function on the lights and really look forward to putting some miles on the clock.

Maverick88

Oct 19, 2006
Devon
How do you find the sound quality with the Media System, I gather that it's improved over the the standard CD/Radio that I had in my 07 FR ?

It sounds good to me, but I'm not into thumping bass or hifi in the car. I believe you get an extra pair of speakers over the base models with SE trim and above. From what I've read, it's the speakers rather than the OE stereo that are the weak point. Won't be upgrading mine though. :)

marks23

Just got my new Leon Ecomotive 1.6 CR SE on Sat and am already impressed with the fuel consumption am def looking forward to getting 60mpg+ only got the std SE but am looking to get a bluetooth unit for it so any suggestions would be greatly received :D

Congrats! :)

You might be better off posting a fresh thread in the accessories bit asking specifically about recommended Bluetooth kits, as people might miss the question here...
But I've heard Parrot kits are well regarded and frequently recommended. ;)

According to the computer, I got 73.1mpg average on my commute to work this morning - the highest I've had for a while. I'm putting it down to swapping to my winter tyres/wheels yesterday (they're Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s which are supposed to have a low rolling resistance).

According to the second figure on the MFD - the long term average - I'm getting 62.1mpg overall.

But working it out properly using fill-up quantities and odometer readings, I'm actually getting 58.8mpg. Not close to the official figures yet, but I'm still happy - it's costing me roughly half what my FR TFSI DSG used to... which was a major factor in my switching to the tree-hugger. :funk:

marks23

Hi the mpg averages about 55-60 at the mo best i ve had was 64 mpg.:lol:

Strangely, my car's MFD is actually underestimating mpg at the moment - it reckons I'm getting long term average of 56.6mpg whereas the calculated mpg (from amount of fuel added and mileage) is a little bit higher at about 58mpg per tank. It's always previously been a little optimistic in its estimates.

The cold weather and regular some traffic problems on my commute have conspired to dent my figures a bit - I often don't manage >60mpg even when trying at the moment. I'm hoping when the weather warms up (and I put my Michelin Energy Savers back on), the figures will creep up again.

I'm also going to try using Millers again to see if I can notice a difference.

sollerboy

I drive an Ibiza Ecomotive and regularly get about 55-60mpg without being too careful on my 85 mile 3 times a week commute. The eco series is very good in my opinion however any urban driving really puts a dent in those figures and the constant DPF regeneration is annoying but the 50% saving I'm making on fuel compared to my old megane, the incredible longevity of the tyres and free tax are just heaven. That coupled with the fact it is faster than the regular 1.4TDI really post a smile on my face.

ADBTLeon

Feb 21, 2013
Carlisle, Cumbria
MPG Issues

Strangely, my car's MFD is actually underestimating mpg at the moment - it reckons I'm getting long term average of 56.6mpg whereas the calculated mpg (from amount of fuel added and mileage) is a little bit higher at about 58mpg per tank. It's always previously been a little optimistic in its estimates.

The cold weather and regular some traffic problems on my commute have conspired to dent my figures a bit - I often don't manage >60mpg even when trying at the moment. I'm hoping when the weather warms up (and I put my Michelin Energy Savers back on), the figures will creep up again.

I'm also going to try using Millers again to see if I can notice a difference.

I Bought a secondhand Ecomotive Copa SE a couple of weeks ago, and have struggled to see even high 40s in mpg on my mfd. Any top tips to bump it up? I only have a 50 mile round trip to work but still expected far better mpg than I've had so far

Deleted member 74601

I Bought a secondhand Ecomotive Copa SE a couple of weeks ago, and have struggled to see even high 40s in mpg on my mfd. Any top tips to bump it up? I only have a 50 mile round trip to work but still expected far better mpg than I've had so far

First, and most useful tip I'd give you, do not drive like it like you would drive an older diesel.

Older diesel engines loved to be driven at low revs, the CR engines hate it, they need to be driven more like a middle ground between a diesel and petrol. I never let mine drop below 1500RPM, and change gear around 2250-2500RPM. I do not use 5th gear until about 60mph, but will do 56/57mph at an absolute minimum and only if really required.

Your 50 mile round trip, what are the roads like? I've found dual carriageways are the worst road to drive on because you're constantly accelerating to high speed and decelerating for traffic lights and roundabouts.

I'm seeing nowhere like the figures in xreyuk's signature at the moment. I've changed my working hours and always seem to be late for everything, so my eco driving seems to have fallen by the wayside in favour of dashing about in a panic... :)

I don't speed (much), but I'm not concentrating on the relaxed, smooth driving style that is the key to the highest mpg figures.

I got 56mpg average over the last tank full.

I'm sure there are a few other posts with tips for maximising mpg, but here is a quick summary:

• Don't accelerate or brake harshly, but don't accelerate so slowly that you're dawdling in lower gears forever either.
  • Use decent fuel. I stick to Shell because I think it's good fuel (and I collect their points and they accept Amex, so I get even more points). ;)
  • Don't bother with 'super diesel' fuel like Shell V-Power Diesel. Unlike super-unleaded petrol, which I think works well in TFSIs etc and gives extra economy to balance some of the cost premium, every super diesel that I've tried has delivered worse economy than the regular diesel equivalent (and costs loads too!).
  • Try not to brake at all. I don't mean that literally of course, but for your regular routes, learn the road so that you don't need to dump excess speed as heat (via braking) for corners etc. If you aim not to brake, you will learn not to accelerate more than you need to.
  • Use the slow lane. In heavy traffic, you will use a lot less fuel if you avoid the constant heavy acceleration and braking of the fast lane. You'll feel less stressed that way too.
  • Clear out the junk from your car - roof bars/racks are terrible for economy but even having junk in your boot will cost you fuel as it's extra weight you're having to shift.
  • Try to keep your engine load constant, rather than your speed. So, if you're traversing a series of valleys and peaks in the road, allow the car to accelerate downhill and slow down uphill, while keeping your right foot as steady as possible. (Note that this is the opposite of what cruise control tries to do: braking downhill and flooring it uphill, with the aim of keeping speed constant...)
  • Where sensible, travel at around 60mph in top gear. Much more than that and you'll be wasting fuel to overcome aero drag. Much less than that and you'll be labouring the engine (also wasting fuel!).
  • Don't believe your car's computer - use an app like Road Trip on your phone, or just a calculator/spreadsheet, to work out your *real* mpg, from full tank fuel amounts and odometer readings.

Hopefully some of that will help you improve your figures! :D

James_85UK

Feb 23, 2009
Leicester
I'm seeing nowhere like the figures in xreyuk's signature at the moment. I've changed my working hours and always seem to be late for everything, so my eco driving seems to have fallen by the wayside in favour of dashing about in a panic... :)

I don't speed (much), but I'm not concentrating on the relaxed, smooth driving style that is the key to the highest mpg figures.

I got 56mpg average over the last tank full.

I'm sure there are a few other posts with tips for maximising mpg, but here is a quick summary:

• Don't accelerate or brake harshly, but don't accelerate so slowly that you're dawdling in lower gears forever either.
  • Use decent fuel. I stick to Shell because I think it's good fuel (and I collect their points and they accept Amex, so I get even more points). ;)
  • Don't bother with 'super diesel' fuel like Shell V-Power Diesel. Unlike super-unleaded petrol, which I think works well in TFSIs etc and gives extra economy to balance some of the cost premium, every super diesel that I've tried has delivered worse economy than the regular diesel equivalent (and costs loads too!).
  • Try not to brake at all. I don't mean that literally of course, but for your regular routes, learn the road so that you don't need to dump excess speed as heat (via braking) for corners etc. If you aim not to brake, you will learn not to accelerate more than you need to.
  • Use the slow lane. In heavy traffic, you will use a lot less fuel if you avoid the constant heavy acceleration and braking of the fast lane. You'll feel less stressed that way too.
  • Clear out the junk from your car - roof bars/racks are terrible for economy but even having junk in your boot will cost you fuel as it's extra weight you're having to shift.
  • Try to keep your engine load constant, rather than your speed. So, if you're traversing a series of valleys and peaks in the road, allow the car to accelerate downhill and slow down uphill, while keeping your right foot as steady as possible. (Note that this is the opposite of what cruise control tries to do: braking downhill and flooring it uphill, with the aim of keeping speed constant...)
  • Where sensible, travel at around 60mph in top gear. Much more than that and you'll be wasting fuel to overcome aero drag. Much less than that and you'll be labouring the engine (also wasting fuel!).
  • Don't believe your car's computer - use an app like Road Trip on your phone, or just a calculator/spreadsheet, to work out your *real* mpg, from full tank fuel amounts and odometer readings.

Hopefully some of that will help you improve your figures! :D

Excellent advice, I use a few of those tactics myself.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.