My Stage 1 Cupra 280 on track at Rockingham with videos

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I had the Cupra on track on Saturday at the SXOC weekender. It was an awesome event as always with lots of pretty cool cars including a few with unexpected performance like a RWD Golf GTI and a BMW 323i touring with an M3 engine and running gear, HSD coilovers, M-Perfomance brakes, track tyres etc. Considering a lot of the cars there were on track tyres, the Cupra was spectacular on its road tyres and one of the quickest cars there, even with me driving :rofl: I can't get over how good a near standard car was on track, it really was superb, no issues whatsoever and it got driven hard throughout the day. It also had lots of people asking what I had done to it to make it so quick; nothing except a torque arm insert, P-Torque map to 350bhp, PS4S front tyres and Tarox Strada front pads (Fluids all uprated obviously!). It has me thing about a spare set of wheels with track tyres now :)

I know people frequently ask about changing all four tyres at the same time, so it is interesting to note I still have the standard Bridgestone Potenza tyres on the rear, they have been fine on the road and they were excellent on track too, even when it rained and the track turned into an ice rink, the Cupra was one of not many cars that kept going quickly in those conditions, I may even have had the track to myself at one point.

I can forgive the slightly creaky door panels for that that kind of brilliance :D here are a few vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9cXxai9zMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96CVHrxIaY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfPKM6ANfA

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Nice one feel sorry for anyone that ownes one and doesn't track it in its life time.

How much tyre wear did you get through on your sessions or did you not bother measuring.

Cracking videos

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Nice one feel sorry for anyone that ownes one and doesn't track it in its life time.

How much tyre wear did you get through on your sessions or did you not bother measuring.

Cracking videos

Indeed, they are missing out!

I've not measured the change but I did carefully inspect them and it looked like pretty minimal wear for track use. I did keep on top of the pressures all day and found 1-2 psi above standard worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Excellent videos! Can't help feeling that superior driving skills also played a part. Your laps looked pretty faultless to me. You're not Jason Plato are you? :1st::1st::1st:

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Excellent videos! Can't help feeling that superior driving skills also played a part. Your laps looked pretty faultless to me. You're not Jason Plato are you? :1st::1st::1st:

Thanks ha ha I wish I had even a tiny portion of his skill

I think a pro driver could shuffle our cars around with quite astounding speed!

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Nice! You should try Harrys Laptimer, it makes videos more interesting to look at and analyze with the overlay :)

Cool, I will have a look and see if it will work with my DB Cam!

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury

Cracking videos

Just measured and I used approx 1mm of tyre tread (interestingly) front and back, give or take

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Nice that's not to bad. You can why people say it's worth getting track tyres though.

Just had a new front set in mine this week feels great on the road and wet

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Nice that's not to bad. You can why people say it's worth getting track tyres though.

Just had a new front set in mine this week feels great on the road and wet

Not too bad really, just part of the consumables. I'm tempted with some lightweight 18's with semi slicks for next summer, although that will probably lead me down the slippery slope of brakes that can do long sessions and something to keep oil temps down... I will have a think after I've done a few more trackdays. I'm looking forward to the full circuit at Oulton, that's always a good benchmark for me...

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
R600 intake and possibly a uprated radiator.

I've had mine operating at 105 degrees when racing it hard

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
I like Oulton Park is only a 40 min drive away for me, still doing 99 or 100 octane fuel there

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
R600 intake and possibly a uprated radiator.

I've had mine operating at 105 degrees when racing it hard

I like Oulton Park is only a 40 min drive away for me, still doing 99 or 100 octane fuel there

What have you changed to keep it so cool? I was running up to about 120 degrees which is what I expected...

Oulton is about 45 mins from me, I'm near Shrewsbury, whereabouts are you out of interest?