Mystery Blue - touching up chips

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Using the dealer supplied touch up pen with a suitably smaller paint brush, am finding very difficult to get a good match on the few small chips I have as the sun is out - seems a lot darker once touched in. I have also tried a white base coat and still darker even after a good shake...

Anyone else had this to am I just waisting my time and being too anal and should just drive it ;)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Those pens are crap. Buy a can of spray paint mixed to the colour. Spray that into the lid and use a fine brush to drip the paint into the chip. Repeat until you get the thickness you want, will take a while. Better to leave it slightly shallow as that stands out less than a lump. You'll need thinners to clean the brush.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe try the touch up kit on a tin can etc with a white base coat, colour then lacquer to see if it needs the lacquer, I'm sure that my Audi Deep Sea Blue Pearl. is like that, but so far I've been frightened to use the lacquer, though when I retro fitted front PDS I painted them with an Audi sourced twin spray pack, and they came out spot on - and I used the lacquer spray on them as well as the colour coat.

Note, I have never ever tried a "test piece" to make sure that the finish will be okay on any car - so far!

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Yeah that is what I am doing, have thinned the supplied paint but may invest in a can if this does not go right / white base coat and building it up, although am now looking for a 1 hair brush for more accuracy , its a long slow painful process, and for most I would not bother but got 2 nice ones from a sizeable stone so just want to make it a little better as one down to bare metal, will never be completely hidden but better than it is now...wont be at the lacquer stage for a few days at this rate...

managed on white and black and grey cars but blue just seems to add a little more complexity

I am using the car as the test case RUM4MO like you

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My S4 came to me with 3 big stone chips on the bonnet - that the first owner looks to have touched up using the supplied "blobber" - I don't notice that when I'm driving, I'm sure even now, a proper paint "corrector" could reduce the visible impact of that.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Eskilation; I never use a brush on small stone chips - I either apply the paint using a cocktail stick or the end of an unfolded paper clip to fill the paint chip with paint.

As for colour match; it can be a bit hit and miss with metallic paint. It’s unlikely the metal flakes in the paint you apply to the stone chip will lie in the same direction as they do in in the surrounding factory paint, so there’s a good chance they’ll reflect the light differently, making the paint in the stone chip appear a different colour.

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
UK
Agreed, the amount of time I am spending with coats and undercoat and single hair brushed and washing it out between coats I must be mad.
Yes the flakes are proving the most difficult now I have watered it down from a honey like consistency to a workable viscosity and many many coats...

It will do for now and keeps me out of trouble, cocktail sticks yes never though or paper clip perfect thanks got loads of those...

I have an insurance for this and scrapes but don't trust them to do it :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.