N75 Restrictor Questions

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I was trawling through some old vw forum and I read something about a restrictor for the N75. I was just hoping to get some information about it and wondered if anyone had tried it and has any information about it.

The process involves placing a 1.5-1.8mm restrictor into the pipe between the boost hardpipe on the back of the engine and the n75. It's supposed to restrict how fast the n75 can act on the wastegate and build boost faster and hold that boost longer.

That I understand but here come the questions lol.

How will the car adapt to this modification?

Will it adapt to lower the boost and timing as well as fuelling to try and bring it back to normal, or will it just accept the fact that it can build boost faster and hold it longer and just give the extra fuelling and ignition timing to suit?

It seems like an awesome mod and has been compared to a "mini remap" the premise is that because the car is in stock form it will never spike over acceptable boost levels but instead just reach the target goals faster allowing more room for more boost over the rev range.

Theories?

PS: Found an old topic on here where someone also tried it and compared it to a remap, but doesn't seem to be any follow up.

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I was trawling through some old vw forum and I read something about a restrictor for the N75. I was just hoping to get some information about it and wondered if anyone had tried it and has any information about it.

The process involves placing a 1.5-1.8mm restrictor into the pipe between the boost hardpipe on the back of the engine and the n75. It's supposed to restrict how fast the n75 can act on the wastegate and build boost faster and hold that boost longer.

That I understand but here come the questions lol.

How will the car adapt to this modification?

Will it adapt to lower the boost and timing as well as fuelling to try and bring it back to normal, or will it just accept the fact that it can build boost faster and hold it longer and just give the extra fuelling and ignition timing to suit?

It seems like an awesome mod and has been compared to a "mini remap" the premise is that because the car is in stock form it will never spike over acceptable boost levels but instead just reach the target goals faster allowing more room for more boost over the rev range.

Theories?

PS: Found an old topic on here where someone also tried it and compared it to a remap, but doesn't seem to be any follow up.
Don't waste your time messing with the n75. ECU will put it in limp. Old VW golf 1.8t had a dumb ECU and MBC could be used to a degree without blowing up the engine.
1.8t agu me3.8 -> me7.5 auq

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I thought the restriction basically turned the n75c into an n75j, bit faster spool, holds it a bit longer. I've heard some people got limp with the n75j and others have had no issues at all and described it as like a mini remap.

You think it's worth trying? I could always just pull it out if it limps, and experiment with different sized restrictors. It can't physically alter boost, just how fast the n75 can act upon the wastegate to vent boost.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Can't see it being worth the time, effort, (and possibly risk) for very little proven gains.

I'd just put whatever mods on there that you plan on having, such as a FMIC, exhaust etc, then get it mapped accordingly.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.