Need some advice on speakers in the back...please

_AJ_

Rex
Apr 13, 2008
Colchester, Essex.

Hi everyone,

Basically, im thinking in near/future about putting some speakers in the back of my car.
At the moment I've got a FLI active 1000w 12" sub (built on amp) in the boot, 16.5" 240w Fusion front door card speakers and Fusion tweeters in the dash.

I'm wandering whether to do some handy work and either put speakers in the rear door cards or make a stealth shelf...

Any opinions on which one would be better?

Thanks

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
There isn't much clearance on the rear doorcard's unless you got a shallow set of speaker's and skimmed the doorcard's themselves so they were flush without the reccess in the middle. Stealth shelf might be easier but, you would get better sound quality with the rear doorcard install and it would be alot more discreet ?

_AJ_

Rex
Apr 13, 2008
Colchester, Essex.
There isn't much clearance on the rear doorcard's unless you got a shallow set of speaker's and skimmed the doorcard's themselves so they were flush without the reccess in the middle. Stealth shelf might be easier but, you would get better sound quality with the rear doorcard install and it would be alot more discreet ?

Thanks,
See I've wanted door cards ones from the start, but they're going to be such a cafaffle to sort out with doing work on the door cards as I dont want them to be on show. Might go to Motormania and see what they suggest as they've fitted all my speakers... decisions, decisions...

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Try getting hold of a set of rear doorcard's that you can chop up. Shouldn't be too hard skimming them and installing speakers but, making sure that they are strong enough to house a speaker and stay attached to the door is the hard part. It has been done and Im not sure but, I think the lupo GTI already had speakers housed in the rears.

_AJ_

Rex
Apr 13, 2008
Colchester, Essex.
Try getting hold of a set of rear doorcard's that you can chop up. Shouldn't be too hard skimming them and installing speakers but, making sure that they are strong enough to house a speaker and stay attached to the door is the hard part. It has been done and Im not sure but, I think the lupo GTI already had speakers housed in the rears.

That's a good idea actually, getting an experiment pair, ive got leatherette so can spruce it up a bit. Cheers for the advice. Good thought about the GTI's, I think your right that they had housing for them...might see if any of Club Lupo have done it and if there's any part's.

Thanks.

As your good with styling boo, Ive got the mark II rear lights and ones going to need replacing soon as its got a crack in it and letting in a bit of water.. I'm wandering whether you think the mark II or mark I lights would look better? and are your tinted lights mot'able?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I have 3 sets of lights :blink:
I have 1 set that are a full tint (all over) and definately not MOT passable :cartman:
The 2nd set have just got the indicator strip tinted and although I have passed MOT with them on before I do change them over for MOT's now to a standard set just in case. The general rule of thumb is that if you tint over the refelector's you do need to recess reflectors elsewhere but, the MK2 already has those in the lower rear bumper so it may pass. If in doubt give you MOT centre a call.

You could always try the Lamin-X http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/ that Rach and the guys have bought for their headlights and just do the indicator strip ? If they don't have the correct size its worth giving them a call as I got a strip for my Clio lights from them for a little extra cost. I have always used the spray tint, for convenience but, there is a fine line between tint and erm ...... that little look you pull when you know you have f***ed up.

Why not try something like the tint vinyl over your MK2 pizza lights and see if it makes them watertight and tints them at the same time ? Might be worth a try and I think it would be a good effect.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Also if you go with the Lamin-X let me know as I have a couple of discount codes that appear to still work !

_AJ_

Rex
Apr 13, 2008
Colchester, Essex.
I have 3 sets of lights :blink:
I have 1 set that are a full tint (all over) and definately not MOT passable :cartman:
The 2nd set have just got the indicator strip tinted and although I have passed MOT with them on before I do change them over for MOT's now to a standard set just in case. The general rule of thumb is that if you tint over the refelector's you do need to recess reflectors elsewhere but, the MK2 already has those in the lower rear bumper so it may pass. If in doubt give you MOT centre a call.

You could always try the Lamin-X http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/ that Rach and the guys have bought for their headlights and just do the indicator strip ? If they don't have the correct size its worth giving them a call as I got a strip for my Clio lights from them for a little extra cost. I have always used the spray tint, for convenience but, there is a fine line between tint and erm ...... that little look you pull when you know you have f***ed up.

Why not try something like the tint vinyl over your MK2 pizza lights and see if it makes them watertight and tints them at the same time ? Might be worth a try and I think it would be a good effect.

New you had more than one set :p Hmm might have to have a good think,.. pizza lights :lol: not heard them being called that before. Thinking about maybe painting under the pizza lights clear plastic, like the silver round the lights and the background matt black. Then I only need to pay for one n/s light. Might do and see how that looks first, then when ive got more money try some tint film or buying mark I's.

Thanks for the help! :)

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
If your going with the MK1's try to get a set of lupo ones and then the indicator strip is a darker red already. Might look quite nice, or cambridge lights. I quite like the Hella tailights but, they are a small fortune and quite hard to get hold of.

_AJ_

Rex
Apr 13, 2008
Colchester, Essex.
If your going with the MK1's try to get a set of lupo ones and then the indicator strip is a darker red already. Might look quite nice, or cambridge lights. I quite like the Hella tailights but, they are a small fortune and quite hard to get hold of.

I'm liking the Hella ones, though I dont think thats the image I want for the arosa, I think I like the cambridge ones more though... might leave tail light for now as the lights are still working fine and get some cambridge ones when I got some money as they are quite dear.

I found these: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=11787&xSec=176

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise