New Ateca

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Ateca SUV General Discussion

Images have been revealed here as well as some early engine specifications.

000-1024x683.jpg

http://www.seatcupra.net/wp/index.php/2016/02/10/seat-ateca-suv-official-images/

GavinM

Aug 18, 2007
Castle Douglas
New Ateca SUV

Looks vaguely similar to the new Tig coming out this spring, Inside looks quite similar as well. Will be interesting to see what the price will be and when they will be available in the uk. I have a Tiguan at the moment and would certainly look at this as a replacement when the time comes. Good looking motor.

J500ANT

Oct 20, 2006
Bristol
Seat uk press release

(Hope it's OK to post this from the SEAT UK press release. Pictures are the same as previously mentioned and so i've not added those)

• Launch of its first SUV marks start of new era for SEAT
  • Unique design with premium look-and-feel
  • Dynamic, precise driving fun in every situation
  • Excellent use of space, versatility and comfort
  • Wide range of efficient, powerful engines up to 190 PS, plus all-wheel-drive
  • Innovative high-tech assistance systems such as Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Traffic Jam Assist. Plus, first-class connectivity and additional technology highlights such as electric tailgate with virtual pedal and wireless charger
  • Potential UK buyers can register their interest at www.seat.co.uk from 11 February 2016, ahead of showroom launch in September

Tonight, SEAT unveiled its first SUV in Barcelona. The new Ateca is a unique combination of distinctive design, dynamic driving fun, urban versatility and compelling utility. First-class connectivity, innovative assistance systems and highly efficient engines are among its technology highlights ensuring Ateca will be one of the most innovative SUVs in the segment. Outstanding quality, precision production and attractive value-for-money combine to make it a true SEAT. Key to its appeal however, is its agile and precise handling – the Ateca makes every day and every mile that little bit more rewarding.

“The SEAT Ateca is perfect for an urban lifestyle. It possesses stunning design and dynamics, and boasts compelling quality and utility. But above all, the Ateca exudes unmistakable character,” says Luca de Meo, President of SEAT, S.A. “Our first SUV marks the start of a new era for SEAT. The Ateca is a clear development of the Leon DNA and will drive forward the success of the range. SEAT is a brand on the move.”

At UK launch this September, Ateca will be available in a wide range of variants. The choice of powerful turbocharged TSI petrol and TDI diesel engines spans from 115 PS to 190 PS, with either front-wheel or all-wheel-drive, mated to manual or dual-clutch DSG transmissions. The extensive array of technology options extends from full-LED headlights through a broad portfolio of assistance systems, including some of the very latest Group technology, such as Traffic Jam Assist and Emergency Assist, right through to a package of high-end infotainment systems with eight-inch touchscreens and Full Link connectivity. Three trim levels will offer colours and top-quality materials to suit every taste, with the top-of-the-range being the Ateca XCELLENCE.

“We have put together an amazing package of technologies and innovations for the Ateca – delivering more safety and utility but, above all, the most dynamic driving experience possible. We will set a whole new standard within the segment with its light-footed, precise handling,” says Dr. Matthias Rabe, Vice President of SEAT, S.A. responsible for Research and Development. “It is incredibly fun to drive. And we have combined this driving experience with compelling utility, making the Ateca a hugely versatile companion for an active urban life.”

In keeping with SEAT tradition, the Ateca derives its name from Spanish geography, this time taking inspiration from the village of the same name which lies in the west of Zaragoza, right in the heart of the brand’s homeland.

Design – 100 per cent SEAT and yet 100 per cent SUV

The Ateca’s design is utterly unmistakable. As an SUV, too, the typical SEAT design language is a striking combination of dynamism and functionality. Many elements, like the trapezoidal grille, the side blisters with their sharp creases and the triangular light signatures, are typical of sister models such as the Leon. Yet every single detail has been carefully developed to the next level for the Ateca.

The front end of the Ateca is 100 per cent SEAT and yet 100 per cent SUV. The large, high grille brims with confidence, while the sharply defined lights and substantial air intakes leave no doubt as to the Ateca’s dynamic credentials. At the same time, it maintains a muscular stance that exudes solidity and reliability.

Full-LED headlamps with a clear signature

Typical SEAT features include the optional full-LED headlights with their upmarket light colour and excellent luminance. Combined with the triangular signature of the daytime running lights, the overall impact is utterly unmistakable. In the Ateca, the indicator lamps are also an integral part of this signature.

State-of-the-art technology and an emotional experience go hand-in-hand with the SEAT Ateca. One example is the “welcome light”. As soon as you unlock the doors, LEDs in the door mirrors illuminate the area below the doors, like so-called “puddle lighting”, projecting the Ateca’s name onto the ground.

Interior conveys refined sporting character

The interior harmonises perfectly with the exterior design, combining a refined and elegant, yet still dynamic character, with that unique feeling of solidity and safety which is so highly prized by SUV drivers.

The cockpit has a horizontal line with a clear driver focus. The controls are grouped closely together, while the read outs, such as the infotainment display measuring up to eight inches, are just a brief glance away. The high centre console is a further example of how well the Ateca combines the SUV sense of solidity with the sporty feeling of a shortened gearstick.

Excellent use of space, with plenty of room

At 4.36 metres in length, the Ateca offers some of the best use of space in the segment, with a boot that holds 510 litres in its standard configuration, or, 485 litres in versions with all-wheel-drive.

Technology – innovative highlights in the Ateca

Once the driver is in the car, a ring of light surrounding the illuminated start button pulsates like a heartbeat, indicating the Ateca is all set for its next adventure. SEAT Drive Profile too, is on-hand for adapting the car to the current driving situation, road conditions and personal tastes.

The range of innovative driver assistance systems is extensive. One example is Traffic Jam Assist: This assistance function makes progress in heavy stop-start traffic far more bearable. At traffic jam speeds, the Ateca steers, accelerates and brakes automatically within the system boundaries. At higher speeds of up to 37 mph, the system provides support with speed control and lane keeping. A new safety function is Emergency Assist: if the driver remains inactive beyond a certain period, the vehicle issues first a visual then an acoustic warning, followed finally by a brief pulse of the brakes. If there is still no reaction, the Ateca slows down to a standstill, while staying in lane. Rounding off its array of additional support technologies are ACC with Front Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Top View Camera.

The highest level of connectivity

Connectivity, the constant connection with the digital world, is a major part of a modern, urban lifestyle for many people. The SEAT Ateca offers the very highest level in this crucial area – with the latest generation of Easy Connect infotainment systems, SEAT Full Link and the exclusive SEAT ConnectApp: Media System Plus, with its eight-inch screen, is the highlight, the Connectivity Box in the centre console of the Ateca enabling wireless smartphone charging for the first time in a SEAT. SEAT Full Link is the connectivity world for users of virtually all smartphones. Alongside MirrorLink®, Full Link also incorporates the functions of Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto®.

Dynamics – Unique driving fun

Impressive driving fun is at the core of the SEAT brand. The Leon in particular is a unique combination of precision and agility, comfort and safety, as confirmed by enthusiastic customer reactions and numerous comparison tests carried out by journalists across Europe. The Ateca is no less impressive when it comes to fulfilling this promising combination. With its compact character, powerful engines and perfectly tuned suspension, it offers performance and handling that sets a new benchmark among its SUV competitors. And it fits an urban and versatile lifestyle perfectly.

The Ateca’s dynamic driving experience comes courtesy of a suite of state-of-the-art engines – all of them turbocharged. Ranging from 115 PS to 190 PS with outstanding torque figures across the board, they meet every possible performance need. The array of diesel engines starts with the 1.6 TDI 115 PS. The 2.0 TDI is available with 150 and 190 PS. Fuel consumption figures range from 56 to 66 mpg, its CO2 figures from 112 to 131 g/km. The entry level petrol engine is the 1.0 TSI with 115 PS. The 1.4 TSI comes with cylinder deactivation under partial load and produces 150 PS. The consumption and emissions figures for these engines are between 46 and 53 mpg and CO2 figures of 112 to 131 grams.

The bodyshell is outstanding not only for its wide-ranging versatility, but also for its intelligent lightweight design. Incredibly stiff, the Ateca is also among the lightest vehicles in its segment, which secures an agile driving experience not only for urban traffic conditions.

Potential UK buyers for Ateca can register their interest online from 11 February 2016, ahead of showroom launch in September. More information on SEAT’s latest model is available from www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-ateca/overview.html, on Facebook/SEATUK, on twitter @SEAT_cars_UK, or, by calling 0500 222 222.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Do Seat not consider the Altea Freetrack as their first attempt at an SUV or are they denying all association because it flopped harder that James Arthur?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I like it. Shame it's smaller than a Tiguan, I would of preferred it if it was more the size of a Q5. Also if the interior looks too much like a Leon. I want my next car to be different to what I have now

Last edited:

vwooks

Aug 26, 2013
I really like it.

I'm a little disappointed regarding engines at the moment, was hoping it would get the 2.0 biTDI out of the new Passat. Who knows though, hopefully that will come in the future :D

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
http://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-ateca/overview.html

Some interesting features in it, I wonder if we'll see them carrying over to the facelift Leon...

Wing mirror spot lights, gesture based screen, wireless phone charging, multi-colour LED interior lights, full panoramic roof. Front headlights are different to the Leon, and the door trim LEDs now downlight the entire trim rather than just a strip.

Last edited:

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Apparently Europe is going crazy about SUV-s. I (used to) hate them but I must admit I'd appreciate a high riding and softer sprung car. Maybe I am getting old and/or sillier but I think my next car might be a SUV and why not the Ateca :)

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Well, on the first sight, it is very nice car. But second view.....:
1. Why the hell FM antenna on the roof?
2. Boot only 510l. 79l less than Leon. Sorry, but families mostly prefer bigger boot, not higher seating.
3. Interiour just like Leon, nothing "new". Color of LED stripes in doors is really very easy to add, the same with radio.
4. Electronic hand brake.. Pitty..
5. Motors.. Will be the same like in Leon....
6. Price..Nowadays unknow, but I think it will be a bit more expensive as Leon. What for? For smaller boot?​

I stay with LEON right now. :)

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Here I am dealers, come and get me.

I did try a Kadjar at the Islington design show last year and that didn't have the leg room. I'm hoping that the leg room at the front is the same as the Altea in this and I won't have the break pedal, steering wheel knee issue that I get in other cars being 6'1". The bind will be if they have deducted the increased height from the cabin to the road from the seating height to the cabin floor. The Kadjar BTW haven't released a 4x4 DSG diesel variant so isn't in the running for me.

The spec feels a bit sexy and I am planning to move to the country side in the near future with snow and ice where the 4x4 will be useful. So 4x4, diesel, DSG will do me nicely. The partners drive covered in snow defeats my Altea.

Not so sure about the speakers thou. Will there be a Bose speaker option like the Kadjar so then I won't get a burning need to replace what's fitted. If I have to replace the speaker, it's another speaker project and I've aged 12 years from the last.... tempted to trade in my Altea sans speakers to be on the safe side.

Reading around the VW 8" head unit takes FLAC. I see the pictures shows USB sockets. Anybody knows the physical mount position that the 8" takes and where, USB, SD ?. Apart from the bouncing about I could see a passport sized drive could be shoved in the glove compartment. umm USB 2 / 3. One could get away with a collection of SD cards if discretely mounted (do that on Japanese trips) which go under the electro mechanised screen.

People like to have a moan about Seat, but the thing about the Altea is they only changed it once and not very much. Buy into another range and it will get chopped and changed every year. I could get that Jag Pace but too showey I think although it has a certain ring, I'll bring the jag around the front.

All this Leon business... I ask you and I've seen Top Gear dribble printed. Basically as us Seat old timers know Walter de Silva came from Alfa where he designed the 156, the creases and the style. Joined Seat and started on the Altea design. Got promoted and went to Audi. Was allowed to finish off the Altea design. The Altea design was copied into the revised Leon's (Mk2 I believe). The Leon design became a bit more teutonic with it's angular looks of late and is now being mapped onto the Ateca. It's still got Walter's creases in it but the teutonic art deco look. The art deco is the head lights, the wing mirrors, the tail lights. The angular touch. Bet Leon driver's didn't know they were driving art deco cars :).

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Slamka, the boot space in the regular Leon is 380l. I guess your quote of 589l is for the ST, however that's an estate car and you could expect an estate to have bigger boot than a SUV in other brands too. And the ST is 18cm longer than the Ateca which would make it less maneuverable in tight spaces. I'd personally prefer SUV over an estate. I guess it's estates that are chosen by families and not SUVs. The latter are probably desirable for the ride height.

slamka33

Dec 6, 2014
Yes, speaking about ST of course.
I think target for SUVs are parents with at least 15y children.

And basically, it makes no sense to drive an SUV in the city. That's another point.. SUVs are Sport Utility Vehicle, proposed for light terrain. Not a city?! :D
I am not surprised that women could not park them correctly in shopping centre's garages. :D

But if my choose will be SUV, I will think about ATERA for sure. It is amazingly nice car.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
And basically, it makes no sense to drive an SUV in the city. That's another point.. SUVs are Sport Utility Vehicle, proposed for light terrain. Not a city?! :D

I agree with that. On the other hand it depends a lot on the city roads condition. Just for instance here in Sofia the city terrain can be considered "light terrain" and in some cases even off road owing to huge temperature changes between seasons, hot summers, snowy winters, mountainous location and of course inefficient road maintenance which all lead to uneven surface, potholes, bulges, etc. My SC FR is way too low for that. I need something slightly higher but still small enough to be maneuverable so those compact crossover/SUV cars would be perfect.

Will it be cheaper than the nice Skoda Yeti?
Not sure about UK but here in Bulgaria SEAT prices are lower than corresponding Skoda ones, model for model, so I believe the Ateca would be cheaper than the Yeti.

veno

I agree with that. On the other hand it depends a lot on the city roads condition. Just for instance here in Sofia the city terrain can be considered "light terrain" and in some cases even off road owing to huge temperature changes between seasons, hot summers, snowy winters, mountainous location and of course inefficient road maintenance which all lead to uneven surface, potholes, bulges, etc. My SC FR is way too low for that. I need something slightly higher but still small enough to be maneuverable so those compact crossover/SUV cars would be perfect.

Not sure about UK but here in Bulgaria SEAT prices are lower than corresponding Skoda ones, model for model, so I believe the Ateca would be cheaper than the Yeti.

That's why there is the Leon Xperience ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.