New Ateca

David_S

Oct 15, 2016
Yeah I wasn't comparing them on a performance level. I can just see people getting initially excited and looking to buy one but ultimately thinking they can get a similar Audi with a bit less performance for the same money and going for the Audi. You can get a Q5 S Line 2.0 TFSI 225 for £35k. Plenty quick enough for most people.

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Okay, but it is the performance version of the Ateca so you would have to compare performance levels otherwise stick to the bog standard diesel in either Seat or Audi form and be done with it. You possibly could get a pre reg Audi for similar price. Looking on their website the Q5 S Line is only being sold in Diesel form currently with 150bhp prices starting at £37K. So on the new version I would say £40K plus for anything with a Petrol engine.

Personally I can't move without seeing another Q5 on the roads so think it is interesting to see something like an Ateca Cupra to mix things up from the Audi, BMW, Merc norm.

David_S

Oct 15, 2016
You're not getting what I'm saying. I know the Ateca Cupra would be more fun and quicker but if it was me I would ultimately stand there and think you know what I can make do without 286bhp but still have a car that would feel quick and comes with all the prestige that an Audi comes with for the same money (the car I mentioned was £35k but it seems they've taken most models off in anticipation of the new Q5).

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
No I understand what your saying, I see from your avatar that you are an Audi owner so would possibly have more loyalty to the brand because of this. I would say that Audi are a top brand and the cars they produce are good if a little over priced at times. If we were speaking in an Audi forum this would be a moot point. But you are in a Seat forum so we tend to champion what Seat can produce on a much more limited budget than Audi has being the parent of the group. Therefore we can generally get what is essentially a base Audi or VW with a SEAT spin on it for a lower price without having to go near the dreaded Audi options list which soon turns a £35K car into a £40-£45K car.

David_S

Oct 15, 2016
I'm not really an Audi fan at all. I've only had my A5 for 4 months and it's going already (mostly due to practicality reasons) and I've ordered an Ateca over any Audi. That might have something to do with me getting a fully loaded smart looking SUV for £25k. Another £10k for the Cupra? No thanks.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I agree about Audi extras. I specced up a Q3 with all the extras that I have ordered on the Ateca (which is most of them) and the price just went mad!
There is really no reason (apart from profit) for overpricing the extras as the actual bits that make up the extras are 99% identical.

Last edited:

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Okay would have thought you would have been more interested in the other derivatives of the Ateca range considering you are on the list for one. Hopefully the Ateca works for your needs. I am looking at this from the perspective of a Mk2 Cupra owner, looking to change cars soon and needing something more practical yet fun. As mentioned I wouldn't think of spending list price on any car so £35K (which hasn't been confirmed yet) would be more than I would spend. Buy my cars through brokers like drive the deal so would be aiming to pay much less than that.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
If you have a Cupra, then you are likely to be disappointed with the current engine options. The 190 TDI is a very heavy car compared to a Cupra. Best to wait until the Ateca Cupra comes out, but that is likely to be another 12 months and who knows what the delivery will be.

I think you can forget about discounts on the Ateca in the foreseeable future - they are just selling far too many to throw money away and lengthen the wait list.

A Tiguan with the powerful diesel might be a better choice or even the Q3, but a hot Q3 is going to be pricey.

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yeah, the wife is wanting something more practical. But I am wanting something that is still somewhat fun to drive. Will be waiting to see what the facelift Leon Cupra ST brings, this might be the right compromise of practicality and sleeper fast estate.

Still would be interested to see how or even if an Ateca Cupra becomes an actual car in the range.

Diesel is just not for me unfortunately, can understand why people choose it but I would rather not.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Yes, saw it over a week ago.

It doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know apart from the fact that the paintshop has some matte paint!
It's the usual Auto Express conjecture based on a few photos.

Until they sort out the long delivery times (up to 7 months) they are not about to introduce a new model.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Went for a testdrive today. I do like the car a lot. Very silent, 1.4TSI ACT 110kw pulls the same as my FR MK3 1.4TSI 103kw. Felt very solid.

Bad thing is that waiting times are 7-9 months.... (driver seat on the left side). Unbelievable.

Last edited:

eande2

Sep 28, 2009
Went for a testdrive today. I do like the car a lot. Very silent, 1.4TSI ACT 110kw pulls the same as my FR MK3 1.4TSI 103kw. Felt very solid.

Bad thing is that waiting times are 7-9 months.... (driver seat on the left side). Unbelievable.

9 months! is that across different engines or just on the 1.4t?

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Well it seemed to me that it does not depend on the engine/model. But i will specify that next week.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
Well it seemed to me that it does not depend on the engine/model. But i will specify that next week.

I was interested in the 1.4TSI but after investigating Lease costs decided to opt for a VW Tiguan 1.4TSI ACT SE NAV which worked out much cheaper, was originally told 12 weeks for a factory order but it's looking at more like 10 weeks from ordering 7th November 2016 to expected delivery around the 20th January so very impressed with the process so far.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.