New cambelt fitted, tensioner fails within 24hrs!!!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Update on the situation: The dealership has phoned me today and told me that it is not Seat's policy to repair but to replace so I will be getting a new engine. They are expecting this to arrive in the coming days. I wasn't expecting this, I'd imagine a new engine would cost a pretty penny.
Are they picking up the bill?

probs a 5 figure job to them

lets hope they fit a 1.4 Tsi and not the new shocker of an engine 1.5 Tsi 🤣

Reactions: Vag8

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Are they picking up the bill?

probs a 5 figure job to them

lets hope they fit a 1.4 Tsi and not the new shocker of an engine 1.5 Tsi 🤣
I'm sure they'd be fitting a like for like engine, I wouldn't imagine they could drop in a 1.5. The cam belt replacement has/had a 5 year warranty on, it didn't last 24hrs, they'll be picking up the bill alright. Be interesting to see exactly what a new engine constitutes. I mean does it have all the ancillaries attached like the turbo, clutch etc, or is it just a head and block combination. Someone here might know better.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm sure they'd be fitting a like for like engine, I wouldn't imagine they could drop in a 1.5. The cam belt replacement has/had a 5 year warranty on, it didn't last 24hrs, they'll be picking up the bill alright. Be interesting to see exactly what a new engine constitutes. I mean does it have all the ancillaries attached like the turbo, clutch etc, or is it just a head and block combination. Someone here might know better.
Usually just head and block, all the ancillaries get transferred to new engine.

Reactions: Mr Pig

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah i was just having a laugh. Yeah will be like for like

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Usually just head and block, all the ancillaries get transferred to new engine.
Yeah, they're not going to replace a bunch of perfectly good expensive parts. My guess on the cost would be somewhere in the region of five-grand. The main thing is that they are taking responsibility and sorting it out. All you could hope for.

Someone will be getting their arse major league kicked for this.

Reactions: Lozzy15

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Good news then, think this is one of the main reasons I got mine done from the dealer at a higher cost than an indy, just for this kind of support although it should have never had happened in the first instance.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is on cars with replaced engines is come selling on time or what your financial situation is.
Is it better to trade it in for a similar car once the work is done now rather than keep it, do cars with replaced engines go for cheaper than they normally would?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Good news then, think this is one of the main reasons I got mine done from the dealer at a higher cost than an indy, just for this kind of support although it should have never had happened in the first instance.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is on cars with replaced engines is come selling on time or what your financial situation is.
Is it better to trade it in for a similar car once the work is done now rather than keep it, do cars with replaced engines go for cheaper than they normally would?
Personally i think having a genuine manufacturers replacement engine should only have a positive impact on resale value as the mileage will be lower. Also should have a 2 year Seat warranty, as Seat state that genuine replacement parts come with 2 years cover.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
To me when sale time comes round I wouldn’t advertise the fact that the engine has been swapped out.

i always see car adverts where people list work that has just been done

like new headgasket fitted 12 months ago all that does in my mind gets me to start asking questions. Well if the head gasket has been replaced then was it done properly and surely it may go again.

so i usually discount cars like that.

if i seen one saying new engine at 30k miles, i would be like well that car can’t of been looked after very well whats the owner serviced it with? Sand 🤔 or is the engines in those cars weak or something.

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Thanks for everyone's views on this. I'm just gutted it happened in the first place. Never been anything wrong with the car up to this point. I would normally have traded up before the timing belt was due, but as I've only done just over 2000 miles in the last 15 month, I thought I'd hold onto it and have a year or so with no loan repayments then consider changing. I'll reserve judgement until I get it back and actually drive it some. Got a notion to get myself a Cupra. Undecided on the new mk4 and don't really fancy a facelift mk3 with the 1.5 TSI seeing as there is all the bad press surrounding that engine. I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for everyone's views on this. I'm just gutted it happened in the first place. Never been anything wrong with the car up to this point. I would normally have traded up before the timing belt was due, but as I've only done just over 2000 miles in the last 15 month, I thought I'd hold onto it and have a year or so with no loan repayments then consider changing. I'll reserve judgement until I get it back and actually drive it some. Got a notion to get myself a Cupra. Undecided on the new mk4 and don't really fancy a facelift mk3 with the 1.5 TSI seeing as there is all the bad press surrounding that engine. I'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.
Or since your getting a brand new engine in theory could get the next 10 years + out of it with no payments.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm just gutted it happened in the first place.
Yes, I would be too. I also agree that I would be wary of a car that has had a new engine fitted. I'd be pinging off stingy mails to the dealer and Seat right now looking for more compensation than just the new engine. I'd want an extended warranty on it for a start and maybe some free servicing to make up for your trouble and the possible effect on the value of the car.

Reactions: Compo1

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Sorry to hear this - and glad it's being sorted.
Would be interesting to get an exact failure mode, and also see the 'failed tensioner'? - as mentioned by someone else - tensions don't just fail, unless they fitted an faulty one which would have been obvious it was faulty. They are usually fitted to studs in the block with a nut, this stud and nut should be replaced - but its quicker just to leave the stud in place and fit a new nut. Stud stretches or breaks and you loose the belt tension and the engine!

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Verify the small print re warranty from the dealer...'from the date of purchase', the warranty is usually with the purchaser but you aren't buying the engine.
From Seat UK website:-
"All our original parts carry a warranty for a period of two years with unlimited mileage from the date of purchase. The wear and tear and service adjustment exclusions applicable to new vehicles also apply to the parts warranty.
Some items may have a warranty lasting longer than two years. Your SEAT Retailer will let you know if that’s the case at the time of purchase.
The warranty on SEAT Original Parts fitted to a vehicle as part of a warranty claim ends on the date the vehicle’s original warranty expires.
All replaced parts become the property of the SEAT UK."

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
See the new engine does it come with timing belt already fitted?

so surely then as it’s a 1.4 TSI and they stopped the 1.4 TSI in 2018 is it a 2018 engine so in theory the timing belt is already 3 years old.

as rubber perishes it’s always replace on time or mileage whatever comes first, so in theory could require a new timing belt next year and we already know SEAT aren’t very good with that?!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
so surely then as it’s a 1.4 TSI and they stopped the 1.4 TSI in 2018 is it a 2018 engine so in theory the timing belt is already 3 years old.
The same logic would apply to any replacement belt you fit, you don't know when the belt was manufacturers. My guess is that it's something that's taken into account and I wouldn't worry about it.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
It'll more than likely be a remanufactured (by VAG) engine rather than a brand new one. I would imagine they have procedures in place to make sure the fitted timing gear isn't too old but it probably is worth asking for peace of mind.

Some engines can be purchased brand new but, looking at the retail prices, they are considerably (several thousand) more expensive than the exchange units.

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Update: Got the car back this afternoon. I didn't get to have a look until I got home from work this evening. Everything looks OK, taken it for a short drive, no odd noises, everything feels fine, only time will tell. Had a quick look under the bonnet seeing as its raining here, looks like a new head and block assembly with my ancillaries bolted on. There is a label on the timing cover, build date is 08/01/21 at the factory in Germany. I've also got a letter titled 'warranty repairs customer confirmation'. It details the work carried out as follows:

Carried out checks as to car not starting. Found the timing belt tensioner pulley to have failed causing damage to the engine valves. Supplied and fitted a new Base Engine and all associated parts. Carried out road test.

I must say that this has been dealt with quickly and professionally with no expense to myself. Both SEAT and the dealership have been true to their word and I now have my car back albeit with a new engine installed. I would have liked to be able to go to the dealership in person to pick it up so I could ask some questions regarding warranties etc, but alas being a key worker in COVID Britain meant I was hard at work serving the public. I'll try and phone them tomorrow or Monday to see where I stand.

My wife is giving me grief however and she thinks I should be due some sort of compensation seeing as the original job (service, timing belt and sundries) set me back to the tune of £810. Should I be pushing for something or should I be grateful everything was sorted out amicably? What are your thoughts on this.

No doubt, in the coming days I'll get a letter or email about customer satisfaction.

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Hi James, your good lady is right - absolutely seek some form of recompense from the dealer and Seat UK - don’t let this be the end of it - outline the total inconvenience of the whole affair, the lack of confidence now in using supposed main dealer expertise, possible additional hit to any resale value in the car and your overall loss of confidence in Seat and your car. Good luck and keep us all posted on how you get on.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise