New Cupra Questions

Jan 11, 2020
Hi,

I'm potentially in the market for a brand new Cupra (base not Lux) and can find a lack of details about it. There does not even seem to be a brochure on the SEAT site.

Can anybody help with the following pease?

1. Does the Cupra have adjustable magnetic suspension or is it fixed?
2. Is the LSD mechanical or does it just use the brakes to simulate an LSD?
3. What make/model tyres come from the factory? (I had a Golf GTI and it came with garbage Bridgestones)
4. Are the seats heated?
5. Does the gearchange speed change with what mode the car in?
6. Do people find 1st and 2nd totally unusable in the wet, or does it have a surprising amount of grip?
7. If you floor the car from a standstill does it launch fast, or do you have to use launch control to get a rapid start?
8. If in manual mode does will it change up at the limiter or stay there?

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi,

I'm potentially in the market for a brand new Cupra (base not Lux) and can find a lack of details about it. There does not even seem to be a brochure on the SEAT site.

Can anybody help with the following pease?

1. Does the Cupra have adjustable magnetic suspension or is it fixed?
2. Is the LSD mechanical or does it just use the brakes to simulate an LSD?
3. What make/model tyres come from the factory? (I had a Golf GTI and it came with garbage Bridgestones)
4. Are the seats heated?
5. Does the gearchange speed change with what mode the car in?
6. Do people find 1st and 2nd totally unusable in the wet, or does it have a surprising amount of grip?
7. If you floor the car from a standstill does it launch fast, or do you have to use launch control to get a rapid start?
8. If in manual mode does will it change up at the limiter or stay there?

Thanks
1) It does have the electronically controlled dampeners with different settings to soften/stiffen the suspension, but I don’t think it’s the same tech as the Mag Ride that the Audi’s have.

2) It isn’t the XDS brake thing no. It has an electronically controlled VAQ E-Diff that is able to send 100% of the power to one wheel, so better than a mechanical LSD. (Unless it’s the 4Drive that doesn’t have an LSD).

3) Depends. Typically Continentals Sport Contact 5, but some have come with Pirelli P Zero. Earlier 280s got Bridgestone. My advice swap to Michelin PS4S straight away and sell the factory tyres as new. It’s what I did after moving from my 280 to the newer Carbon.

4) Not on the base spec cars no. The Lux does as they now have the Buckets (or earlier Lux cars had heated full leather). Highly recommend them if only for not having blank buttons/spaces on the dash.

5)Yeah

6) If you change the tyres it’s a cracker, add an uprated lower wishbone mount (~£50) and it’s perfect. But the tyres make a big difference in the wet.

7) it’s not slow, but if you’re after 0-60 it’s the wrong car for you. On a roll it’ll beat a Golf R and be more fun too.

8) Change up after a small delay. But a DSG map can stop this.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Hi,

My understanding is that the order book for both the Cupra and the FR has been closed ahead of the launch of the Mk4 Leon. That's why there's no brochure on SEAT's website.

If you want a brand new Mk3 Cupra, I think the only sources will be cars pre-ordered by the leasing agencies (Leasing Options have base cars available in magnetic grey) or any dealers that have a car from a cancelled order.

Jan 11, 2020
Thank you for the answers.

Totally aligned with the PS4 comment. This is exactly what I did on my GTI within like 2 weeks. PS4s totally transform a car.

If I was getting a Cupra it would be a stocked lease car sort of thing. The price is so ridiculous (in a low way) it's hard to not seriously consider one.

I was originally looking at an A35, but that is around £350 a month and the Cupra is around £215. Sure it's not as 'good' of a car (certainly all-weather ability) but for the money, the Cupra is an obscenely great value prospect.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.