New engine remap bricked my car

verde

Nov 6, 2021
Hello fellow Seat-ers,

I've recently had to take my e-Hybrid FR for the yearly service. As it's still under warranty (20 plate) with a service plan, I do them at my local Marshall Seat dealership.
It all went well with the regular servicing (oil, filters, etc) until one of the guys told me that there is this new engine remap and that I should update as the new update makes the engine run a but more efficiently. If anyone has any details about this, I'd gladly appreciate any insight.

Either way, an hour or so goes by and then I went to check on the progress and the guy tells me that it may take longer as they have some problems updating it but that they'll give me a courtesy car for a day or two until they get it sorted. That was Wednesday.

On Friday I phone them up to be told that "the part is on order and all is planned to be fixed in a week's time" to which I was like "wtf, what part? I thought it was a software/ECU update". Turns out they managed to brick(?) the Master Gateway ECU(?), or something like that and that the car is completely unresponsive.

Don't know much about ECUs and things like this, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for once I get the car back? What is the worse could happen, if anything? I would appreciate any input on this.

Quite funny story and mildly annoying. Could've been worse, but at least I have the courtesy car to go around.

Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hello fellow Seat-ers,

I've recently had to take my e-Hybrid FR for the yearly service. As it's still under warranty (20 plate) with a service plan, I do them at my local Marshall Seat dealership.
It all went well with the regular servicing (oil, filters, etc) until one of the guys told me that there is this new engine remap and that I should update as the new update makes the engine run a but more efficiently. If anyone has any details about this, I'd gladly appreciate any insight.

Either way, an hour or so goes by and then I went to check on the progress and the guy tells me that it may take longer as they have some problems updating it but that they'll give me a courtesy car for a day or two until they get it sorted. That was Wednesday.

On Friday I phone them up to be told that "the part is on order and all is planned to be fixed in a week's time" to which I was like "wtf, what part? I thought it was a software/ECU update". Turns out they managed to brick(?) the Master Gateway ECU(?), or something like that and that the car is completely unresponsive.

Don't know much about ECUs and things like this, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for once I get the car back? What is the worse could happen, if anything? I would appreciate any input on this.

Quite funny story and mildly annoying. Could've been worse, but at least I have the courtesy car to go around.

Cheers!

Hi mate nothing to worry about they’ll change the gateway with a brand new item so you’ll not get any problems with it. Unfortunately a random unexpected voltage spike can do this however it is usually the error of someone else ie jump starting a car can do it or hooking it upto a battery charger while the leads are live while connecting to the battery. Even tho it’s most likely the techs fault or a equipment fault they were using once the gateway is replaced the car will be like it was when you brought it you’ll most likely have lost your memory for things tho so unfortunately worst case you’ll have to get the head unit and stuff back to your preferences.

verde

Nov 6, 2021
Appreciate your reply mate! I wasn't too worried, but not am not too cars' electronics savvy either.

What's the cost of such thing, do you have any rough idea?

Cheers!

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Appreciate your reply mate! I wasn't too worried, but not am not too cars' electronics savvy either.

What's the cost of such thing, do you have any rough idea?

Cheers!

The gateways are quite expensive I last one we did was on a mk6 golf tdi and that bill was over £1500.00 to the customer including labour. However you won’t be liable for any charges due to the warranty cover on your car. Not 100% sure what these newer gate ways are cost wise as they aren’t a common failing item for such a new car and normally only fail due to water watery from a leaking windscreen in my experience as the gate ways are usually behind the dash under the windscreen.

verde

Nov 6, 2021
Got the car back today and all is fine, except the memory being lost which I can live with!

The failure occurred during an engine remap which according to the technician from the dealership, it happened to a few other cars (all PHEV) so it feels like a manufacturer's fault/error.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.