New Formentor owner?

Nov 11, 2023
Hi guys, I’m currently looking at a couple of vz2’s and a vz3 as a serious alternative to the bmw/mercedes/audi’s that I’ve traditionally had. Am I crazy?

I really like the styling and the offering of the 310 but am a little concerned with all the issues users have had with the software controlling these cars. I’m not a big fan of capacitive controls but it’s not that that’s really bothering me (I’ll get used to it), it’s the reliability and quality of the features the car has. What’s the point in having all these features if they’re unreliable (are they unreliable?).

Anyway, I thought with all the troubles posted on here this might be the best place to get some positives from people that have overcome the troubles. I’m really interested to hear your thoughts for a prospective owner and would be really grateful for that too.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Hi guys, I’m currently looking at a couple of vz2’s and a vz3 as a serious alternative to the bmw/mercedes/audi’s that I’ve traditionally had. Am I crazy?

I really like the styling and the offering of the 310 but am a little concerned with all the issues users have had with the software controlling these cars. I’m not a big fan of capacitive controls but it’s not that that’s really bothering me (I’ll get used to it), it’s the reliability and quality of the features the car has. What’s the point in having all these features if they’re unreliable (are they unreliable?).

Anyway, I thought with all the troubles posted on here this might be the best place to get some positives from people that have overcome the troubles. I’m really interested to hear your thoughts for a prospective owner and would be really grateful for that too.
Morning Scobbler, and welcome to the forum! I've had my VZ2 310 since March last year and can honestly say I absolutely love it. Personally I have had no issues with the entertainment/ sat nav centre at all. I'm a driving instructor and spend all day in a VW Polo so it is a delight to slide my fat arse into the Cupra and give it some beans. Take one for a test drive - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Oct 12, 2023
Have a brand new hybrid for 3 weeks now and aside from a few restarts on the entertainment system it's been smooth sailing.
Haven't had to use the capacitive buttons at all. Volume control on steering wheel and voice control are my main methods of control.

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
are they unreliable?
Not in my experience. I had a VZ2 and now have a VZN because I couldn’t resist the 0% finance offer. I wouldn’t have bought another one had my earlier experience been that bad.

I’ve had no mechanical or quality issues with either car. All the issues I had with the VZ2 were related to the infotainment software. I’ve had zero issues with the VZN, though I did stipulate it be updated to v1940 of the software before I picked it up. With the 1940 software the infotainment system is usable and reliable. I’d love if it was a bit snappier in use, but it’s fine once you get used to it, and I’m in Apple CarPlay most of the time anyway.

If you like not hanging about, economy will likely be in the mid-late-20s MPG, but if I cared about that - why would I when there are loads of lovely A and B roads where I live - I wouldn’t have bought one in the first place, and I can get late-30s on runs.

I was surprised by how good the fit and finish is, too. It’s a nice place to be - so much that since I no longer commute I look for excuses to take it out - and it’s a nice thing to drive.

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
The Formentor VZ2 is still the best alliteration of the MQB-Evo platform in it's price class (considering the VZ5 and RS3 are in a price class above)

The rivals do some things better, some things worse, but the Formentor is the only "crossover" SUV.

It is mechanically reliable and is more sensible than you think; considering more power is available in a 2 door BMW M4 or 240i - these choices are not as comfortable as the Formentor for a daily driver.

Also notice the suspension is seldom discussed about the Formentor, nor basic control surfaces. The critical components are all perfect imo, great steering and brake feel, absolutely sorted.

Avoid being in the position where you always regretted not knowing - do a test drive and remember use the Cupra mode.

Options; absolutely spec the Beats upgrade if buying new. The stock speakers are a little lackluster without surround. VZ3 brembo brakes seems to cause more problems than it's worth, I advise going for VZ2. Matrix LEDs are non critical but a nice-to-have. Would spec the 360 cameras (if possible) as that would be very worthwhile for parking. Sunroof is optional, nice to let heat out, but would add a little weight up top, to the already high centre of gravity, performance wise.

Last edited:

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
I advise going for VZ2.
This would be my advice, too.

I have the VZN for the reasons I mentioned above. If I had to spec from scratch, I’d keep the 360 camera, matrix LEDs - I love them - and probably Beats, but think carefully about the sunroof. There’s a weight penalty for an already heavy car and it lets cold in quite noticeably, but I’m sure it’ll be great when the weather improves. It’s nice to crack the lift on the sunroof rather than a window because it’s much quieter.

Nov 11, 2023
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated.

I'm looking at 3 currently, a VZ3 which is at my local dealer in graphene grey with petrol blue interior (spec says it has matrix led's but I'm not too sure that's accurate) and 2 VZ2's (which both have 360 camera's). They are all ~ 6 months old with roughly 6000 miles. I think I'll try and get a test drive in one of them some point this week. Saw a couple out on the road today and they certainly have a bit of presence and stand out from the crowd.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated.

I'm looking at 3 currently, a VZ3 which is at my local dealer in graphene grey with petrol blue interior (spec says it has matrix led's but I'm not too sure that's accurate) and 2 VZ2's (which both have 360 camera's). They are all ~ 6 months old with roughly 6000 miles. I think I'll try and get a test drive in one of them some point this week. Saw a couple out on the road today and they certainly have a bit of presence and stand out from the crowd.
Go For it - Enjoy 👍

Nov 11, 2023
Hi guys, thought I’d keep this thread updated.
Had a go in a VZ3 last week, it was a completely different experience compared to my current bmw but I thought it was pretty good for a change of pace. I’ve got a pretty good deal on a VZ2 that I’ll have a look at this week but I’ll probably end up pulling the trigger on that.

Anything I should look out for when I go to see it or if the deal progresses? It’s a ‘23 vz2 with 360 cameras and graphene as the only options. From some reading on here I think getting the Cupra connect app sorted before leaving the dealer is important?

Reactions: LetsForment

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Hi guys, thought I’d keep this thread updated.
Had a go in a VZ3 last week, it was a completely different experience compared to my current bmw but I thought it was pretty good for a change of pace. I’ve got a pretty good deal on a VZ2 that I’ll have a look at this week but I’ll probably end up pulling the trigger on that.

Anything I should look out for when I go to see it or if the deal progresses? It’s a ‘23 vz2 with 360 cameras and graphene as the only options. From some reading on here I think getting the Cupra connect app sorted before leaving the dealer is important?

You should get the dealership to register your email address as a primary user, this is all done within the vehicle; using both keys, the Cupra Connect app on your phone and the infotainment.

While you can do most of this yourself, for some reason you need to submit a scan of your drivers license as validation. If you get the dealership to take care of this, you can drive the vehicle away as a primary user and in a few days you'll get an email to say your account was fully activated.

Then you'll be able to purchase the optional Cupra Connect subscription; £59 1 Year or £99 for 2 Years.

P.S. Press home (icon) button twice, press Settings (app) > Information > check the Software number: 1940 (if it's e.g. 1899 - ask if it to be updated before handover)

I'm already jealous of your 360 cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scobbler

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
Only a tiny point but I spent a couple of weeks putting a pin in the Infotainment until I noticed the small tick box option "Don't ask me again"

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Richiepoos

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Not in my experience. I had a VZ2 and now have a VZN because I couldn’t resist the 0% finance offer. I wouldn’t have bought another one had my earlier experience been that bad.

I’ve had no mechanical or quality issues with either car. All the issues I had with the VZ2 were related to the infotainment software. I’ve had zero issues with the VZN, though I did stipulate it be updated to v1940 of the software before I picked it up. With the 1940 software the infotainment system is usable and reliable. I’d love if it was a bit snappier in use, but it’s fine once you get used to it, and I’m in Apple CarPlay most of the time anyway.

If you like not hanging about, economy will likely be in the mid-late-20s MPG, but if I cared about that - why would I when there are loads of lovely A and B roads where I live - I wouldn’t have bought one in the first place, and I can get late-30s on runs.

I was surprised by how good the fit and finish is, too. It’s a nice place to be - so much that since I no longer commute I look for excuses to take it out - and it’s a nice thing to drive.
Sounds like they've upped their game with newer vehicles.

Ours is a MY21 and it's been plagued with software, mechanical and hardware issues

vmaxkiddy

Jan 16, 2023
The Formentor VZ2 is still the best alliteration of the MQB-Evo platform in it's price class (considering the VZ5 and RS3 are in a price class above)

The rivals do some things better, some things worse, but the Formentor is the only "crossover" SUV.

It is mechanically reliable and is more sensible than you think; considering more power is available in a 2 door BMW M4 or 240i - these choices are not as comfortable as the Formentor for a daily driver.

Also notice the suspension is seldom discussed about the Formentor, nor basic control surfaces. The critical components are all perfect imo, great steering and brake feel, absolutely sorted.

Avoid being in the position where you always regretted not knowing - do a test drive and remember use the Cupra mode.

Options; absolutely spec the Beats upgrade if buying new. The stock speakers are a little lackluster without surround. VZ3 brembo brakes seems to cause more problems than it's worth, I advise going for VZ2. Matrix LEDs are non critical but a nice-to-have. Would spec the 360 cameras (if possible) as that would be very worthwhile for parking. Sunroof is optional, nice to let heat out, but would add a little weight up top, to the already high centre of gravity, performance wise.
What problems have you encountered with Brembo brakes ?

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
What problems have you encountered with Brembo brakes ?

I spotted a pattern of drivers reporting problems that seem to indicate a design oversight with the Brembo's in particular. The pads don't return off the discs after braking, the contact friction slowly heats the disc to create a vibration / rubbing noise which must be louder and more noticeable than the normal 'ssssh' sound brake pads often make.

I'm hypersensitive to noise quality as it is, so I'd say the problem is mostly dependent on the drivers tolerance of the noise / vibration.

It would be interesting to learn if the VZ3 brembos have pad clip springs fitted or not. Also, if the VZ2 stock pads have pad spring clips fitted as that's 1 point of contention. If they both have springs fitted - then it's likely just a characteristic of having larger discs that the same symptom doesn't exhibit itself on the smaller VZ2 discs.

Last edited:

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
On my vz2 the brakes bind sometimes. The next morning setting off, there is an almost explosive sound off the rotors as they strain to get moving.

Apparently, it's normal.

I have noticed this happens more frequently when the car was parked after having driven in the rain.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland

I've bought a VZ2 coming from a 2018 BMW F30 335d x-drive, and I don't regret the move, I too was concerned about the infotainment issues, but so far, a week on, I've not experienced anything so far that has enraged me. Really love the car, way it drives and the features, the BMW only impressed me with speed, acceleration, drive and handling, the Formentor also does all this, with added points for the spec, comfort, and more up to date design.

Reactions: Scobbler

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
You should get the dealership to register your email address as a primary user, this is all done within the vehicle; using both keys, the Cupra Connect app on your phone and the infotainment.

While you can do most of this yourself, for some reason you need to submit a scan of your drivers license as validation. If you get the dealership to take care of this, you can drive the vehicle away as a primary user and in a few days you'll get an email to say your account was fully activated.

Then you'll be able to purchase the optional Cupra Connect subscription; £59 1 Year or £99 for 2 Years.

P.S. Press home (icon) button twice, press Settings (app) > Information > check the Software number: 1940 (if it's e.g. 1899 - ask if it to be updated before handover)

I'm already jealous of your 360 cameras.
My VZ2 has none of these numbers! It has Software A896, and Display Unit / Control Panel Software 6074

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.