New member, new Arosa!

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Hi guys,

new to the forum and to the arosa although not to VAG vehicles. Got myself a 1999 Arosa 1.4 today, low mileageQuite pleased with it. Got a few queries;

the clutch is quite stiff and heavy and it only bites near the top. Does this mean the clutch is near the end of its life? Is it cable operated?

Is there a haynes manual for the arosa or is it just the lupo one?

Its missing a parcel shelf, will a lupo one fit? I assume a lot of lupo parts will fit the arosa such as carpet mats etc?

Is there anything I should look out for with this car? I only have one key so will need to get another cut, will a general key cutter be able to do this? I assume it doesn't have anything fancy in it like a transponder, theres no central locking.

thanks in advance, great forum!

Also, at idle the revs are around 650rpm, is this right? Should they be any higher

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Welcome to the forum honey and lots of happy times ahead with your new Arosa :D

Im not sure about the clutch or revs as I drive an automatic so its slightly different. However, I would get the cable adjusted 1st and see if that resolves the clutch issue as its going to be cheaper to try that 1st instead of doing the whole clutch and finding our it was just the cable.

Most lupo parts fit so yes - a lupo parcel shelf will fit the only things that are different are the bonnet, front bumper, headlights and indicators - pretty much everything else fits.

Unfortunately there isnt a haynes manual for the Arosa or the Lupo but, you will find that a MK4 polo haynes manual (its a red one) is a good reference for engine work and electrical wiring diagrams.

With regards to the key, you can get one cut but, you will need to get VW, or Seat to fit a transponder inside the key and sync it to the ECU on your car to get it to work. There is an immobiliser in the car and an ordinary key will not turn the ignition over or unlock the car.

Hope this helps you out :D

Last edited:

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Welcome fellow Arosa owner :D

Boo has covered your other questions but I can help with the clutch as mine is a manual. The clutch is cable operated, so try adjusting it to see if that makes a difference. If it is an original cable it will also have a spring on the end which takes up any excess slack but will also give you a bit more leeway when adjusting it.

If it is heavy though, you may well want to look at replacing it (especially if it creaks too). These cars have a weak point on the pedal box where the clutch pedal can break away - this will be more likely if your clutch is heavy and putting more strain on it.
So you will also want to get your head under the dash and have a good look at the pedal box itself to make sure it is not already broken or breaking as if itis you will need to replace it (the design was changed so the new ones don't have the same problem).

Unfortunately both jobs are rather long and expensive, as they are usually 4+ hours, but the parts are pretty cheap which helps a bit!

EDIT: Just noticed your comment about the idle - 650rpm is a little low, although mine usually settles at only about 700-750rpm. You can actually make very small adjustments under the bonnet as they are cable throttles, although the ECU will tend to deal with the idle speed itself.

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Thanks for the great replies. I've spent the day cleaning and getting to know the car. Bodywork is good, few clumbsy marks here and there and a nasty crease on the passenger side sill, wonder if that would repair? There are also thousands of tar spots and I mean thousands! All over the roof and tops of the rear panels. Don't think its seen a real clean in a long time and being driven london probably hasn't done the body any favours! Still, a good excuse to get my clay bar out in the dryer weather.

Looks like someone has tried to get into it at some point, the metal trim on the door has been bent, probably by a screwdriver - see pic. Do you think I'd be able to get the metal trim from Seat?

Onto the key - I've taken a picture of the one and only key I have. Does this key have a transponder in it? Is it the little square at the bottom right? I called Seat today to ask about another key and it would cost between £75-100 to supply and code a new key! Plus they want all sorts of documentation to prove it is your car! Anyone know a way around this? I've seen genuine Seat keys like mine with an uncut blade for less than a tenner.

Must look into adjusting the clutch cable too, just did a rally style wheelspin away from the lights, completely unintentional! Is there a tutorial on the subject or a 'how to' guide?

Both doors are a bit clickey and clunky but the drivers door hinge looks like an explosion of tar has occured within the door - see pic - any ideas what this is all about?! This greasy mess had dribbled down under the front wing.

And lastly, Lupo front mudflaps would fit the arosa wouldn't they?

All pictures are on flickr, I don't know if I can add pics to a thread and I can't post a URL in this thread because I haven't posted enough posts! If you type in my username to flickr (TDi_B5) and search for people, there is a folder called 'Arosa S'

Hope you are all well!

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Key
4327595325_bfaaece502.jpg

Yes it does have a transponder in and unfortunately there isnt any way of getting around the hefty price as the new key needs programming to the ECU.

Door damage
4328329028_e92c2ae31e.jpg

These are avaliable from seat or VW they are quite a pain to remove but, seeing as half the work has been done already for you it should be easy ;) I think they are called B Pillar trims ?

Door hinge
4327596673_493f2ce3cc.jpg

Looks like a build up of old grease ? Should be easy enough to clean and re-grease.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh and yes lupo front mudflaps will fit but, some of the front lupo mud flaps have a VW logo on them.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Must look into adjusting the clutch cable too, just did a rally style wheelspin away from the lights, completely unintentional! Is there a tutorial on the subject or a 'how to' guide?

Get yourself under the bonnet and look down to the right of the engine - you should be able to see a cable leading up from the back of the bay, terminating at a lever on top of the gearbox (this is where you should have a spring if you have an original cable).

To adjust it, you will need two small spanners - undo the outer nut by a few turns. Now turn the second nut - one way will lower the bite point, the other will raise it (i can't remember which way round it is right now, got flu-brain!).

Tighten the outer nut back against the second nut (are you following?) and hop back in the car to test the new bite point. Keep adjusting till it's the best you can get it - if the clutch is worn it will never get quite right though.

Be careful not to over tighten the cable while you are at it though as you don't want the clutch to be slipping while driving :)

GinoC

Thats how the big dent got in the passenger door on my arosa because i think the problem was that the arm on the door hinge must have snapped and swung open. Its all good now though :) Good as new!

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Had a wee play with those nuts on the clutch cable today. I adjusted it a small amount and it's less stiff I think although the biting point is still too high. My girlfriend drove it today for the first time and struggled with the clutch as it is. The spring on the end of the cable was quite compressed, I'll have another go at adjusting it when I'm free.

What are the clutches supposed to be like on these? My passat had a hydraulic clutch so obviously it was as light as a feather, I'm not expecting this to be anything like that, I just want to get rid of the stiffness. Its amazing how quickly you adjust your driving style so quickly to a new car, I've only been driving it a couple of days and I'm used to the clutch as it is.

The gearbox isn't overly precise...is that a common Arosa issue? It seems more like a stick in a bucket of mud! Although again, I'm kind of used to that already! Would it make a difference if I changed the gearbox oil perhaps..?

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, my new one is light, but not hydraulic-ly light - there is resistance and I can sort-off feel it disengage. :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members