New member Turbo just blew mk2 1.9tdi 103bhp

Jul 16, 2020
So I brought this car and it was a nail clutch done and alloys on it ..(looking better) Got it remapped and the whistle from the turbo began and finally went bang on me ..... now turbos gone I'm.looking to replace ,can I get some guidence not looking to get ripped off just looking for an idea. Is it worth getting a hybrid? What are the cheapest ? what's the most bullet proof one I should.go for ?And what are the parts that I would need?.... I'm a new owner of a seat just switched from a 1.6 astra twinport with no turbo

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020

Have a look on here mate they sell the turbos and anything you’ll need to get as much power as you want. Hope this helps.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I'm not to sure to be honest mate how do I tell ?
You seem to think the turbo has gone? How did you come to that conclusion?

what are the symptoms.

A blown intercooler pipe / hose will offer zero boost and will pile black soot out of the back?

Jul 16, 2020
So it was going into limp mode prior to this and i thought the turbo was broke, I got to bout 3
K revs in 5th and it would die or 4 k revs in 4th so i had a remap as a friend recommended to bypass egr and . It turned it pretty nippy but I still had the same problem going into limp .

It was going into limp mode prior to the remap also edges me towards think the turbo has finally gave up .

It has the both of the above symptoms that you have mentioned above. No boost and piling out black.smoke .

At this point I just want my car..I'm sick of driving her mazda... (I hate that its bulletproof)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would check all intercooler pipework as a boost leak will also put it into limp mode

and it is not wise to remap a car that doesnt work properly in stock tune. I would maybe discount your friends advice in the future

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Take the car to your mates garage and ask him to scan the car for faults. This will give you a heads up on why it’s going into limp mode bud don’t just threw money at it buying a new turbo to find out it’s still in limp mode.

Jul 16, 2020
I have a code that the reader voiced up front the remap he said over boost but I couldnt decipher his hand writing I will.post it to this thread tomorow when I get to my paper work for my leon

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Overboost is sometimes caused by sticking turbo veins, you don't always have to remove the turbo to fix those.

If you've popped an intercooler hose off then firing a new turbo on there won't help, you need to check all the hoses and replace the knackered ones.

Jul 16, 2020
Thanks for all the help this thread has saved me loads of money

, thanks for the recommendation for the turbo clean as well man I will get on it straight away after I get the car back . When I got I remapped ingot it carbon cleand will that help at all ? cars in for repair and will be ready monday / tuesday.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
No a carbon clean will not help sticking turbo vanes.

There are a few how to threads and video’s out there. Involves some mr muscle and manipulation of the turbo actuator. Has varied results, i have done it twice in the past on my old pd150, it did help a bit but did not solve the issue 100%

Jul 16, 2020
I heard the me muscle Idea worked great, i just didnt ever wanna take the risk to be all honest.
It might be time for a full clean of the turbo and replacement of gaskets to try solve the whistle also.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If you're lucky you can get away with some fuel additive, obviously you'll need to have caught the issue fairly early on, but if the other option is stripping it down and replacing it then it can't hurt.
Forte stuff is petty good, you'll need to be sure there are not more boost leaks tho, the extra smoke created by a boost leak will just clog the turbo veins further.

Jul 16, 2020
Update
I have just brought a power maxed turbo cleaning kit insted of risking the mr muscle stuff. I hear it workes the same way but manipulation of the actuator arm.is vital. Hopefully.i dont have to strip it to the bone (if so id rather get a refurbished one at this point )
cars not backs yet get it back tomorow or tuesday . Will adding a turbo cleaning additive in the fuel harm.the car on top of the spray cleaner in the actual turbo.itself ?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Update
I have just brought a power maxed turbo cleaning kit insted of risking the mr muscle stuff. I hear it workes the same way but manipulation of the actuator arm.is vital. Hopefully.i dont have to strip it to the bone (if so id rather get a refurbished one at this point )
cars not backs yet get it back tomorow or tuesday . Will adding a turbo cleaning additive in the fuel harm.the car on top of the spray cleaner in the actual turbo.itself ?
Fuel Additive will not help a sticky turbo. It may help clean the injectors but then again it may be snake oil.

I would of just saved my money and got some mr muscle, it’s only a degreaser after all. Something worded turbo cleaner is only going to hit you in the wallet.

Jul 16, 2020
I think it is anything at this point just to try get her working properly hopefully its not snake oil and it does some.good man. If it is then I am 100 percent gunna try mr muscle. If not it's time to get a new turbo .....

P.s i know a lot of people say it's not worth throwing this money at the car as it's worth as much as a new turbo but at this point it owes me to much not to keep it and make.it working enough it will.last me 2 years .