New SEAT Leon CUPRA R to debut at Frankfurt Motorshow

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
not sure what you're on about with the black bits (is it the mirrors?), but I'm pretty sure I'd still have the new R over a TDi FR or a K1 kitted cupra!

I'm just REALLY disappointed it isn't more aggressive (looks and performance wise).

We should send a printout of every thread about it off to SEAT head office, they need to see what they are doing to themselves. I'd rather have a Meganne ffs!

:blink: dude, I think it's all of us?

Yeah mirrors, and still little bits of plastic, meant to be the hard sports version wheres the diffuser to stick it to the road, it just looks cheapo.

My point about having the fr or cupra with a k1 kit is that is the price premium they will charge really be worth it......

Still end of the day think about it leaves us with more to play with but then I would start with a slightly cheaper one and take it past the r......

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Or hope one of the tuners gets there act together fast and brings out a bad arse kit for it that we can bolt on. :whistle:
Thing is people wont really want to spend 20ish k on a car then buy a 2-3-4 grand kit on top UNLESS its a dealer option.

and some haldex/lsd with a GBFO garrett...

thing is, no matter how we tune it, SEAT will be selling it as above. :headhurt:
Indeed.

We all know the potential of modding and even though I personally spent a lot of money on mine, I would like to spend on which I believe to be a great car out of the box.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I think this is what we were all looking for...............
file.php

Nov 28, 2006
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I actually like it :whistle:.

I totally love my Cupra R and mostly down to the aggressive looks and hard as nails stance so do see the new 'R' as being a bit reserved. My reasons for getting the Cupra R were:

Looks pretty cool
Can do the family stuff when needed
Good performance

BUT one of the biggest factors was the price. Put simply, you get a whole load of car for a modest chunk of cash. For me, the new Cupra R does all of the same things the current 'R' does and if you can get a brand new car with 265bhp, LSD and 19 inch wheels for around £20k that shouts 'Performance bargain' to me. I agree, it could be more aggressive but with most new hot hatches are going down the subtle route (apart form the Focus RS) it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Just look at the MkIV Golf GTI (which has 210bhp and a starting price of around £23k).

Just my 2p's worth ;-)

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Slightly of topic - I don't follow the Mk2 threads. Is the Cupra R the only one with the extra slots under the front grill?

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
BUT one of the biggest factors was the price. Put simply, you get a whole load of car for a modest chunk of cash. For me, the new Cupra R does all of the same things the current 'R' does and if you can get a brand new car with 265bhp, LSD and 19 inch wheels for around £20k that shouts 'Performance bargain' to me. I agree, it could be more aggressive but with most new hot hatches are going down the subtle route (apart form the Focus RS) it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Just look at the MkIV Golf GTI (which has 210bhp and a starting price of around £23k).

Just my 2p's worth ;-)

i can see your point buddy, but correct me if i'm wrong the suposed LSD on this is nothing more than glorified traction control, it wont really compare to a proper diff as it will be cutting in and out all the time.
Comparing it to the golf it does seem really good value but in my opinion the golf's have always been overpriced anyway. The golf makes the Focus RS look like value for money... 2k more for a proper diff and an extra 90 bhp!

Volkswagen:banned:IMO

Ther is also the fact that for enthusiasts a tuned standard cupra or K1 will p1ss all over new cupra R's for a few grand less!

EmDee

Omnishambolic
My initial reaction to this thread was to assume the stance of devils advocate.

I even went so far as to say

well done to SEAT for going with kiwi "yellow" and white wheels and badges. Reminiscent of the mk2 beefer.

and

I must say i dont mind a subtle body kit, it's better than the fake air intakes and fake carbon interior you get in the RS.

Then I realised no matter how I looked at it I couldn't justify SEAT's decisions. :doh:

Nov 28, 2006
i can see your point buddy, but correct me if i'm wrong the suposed LSD on this is nothing more than glorified traction control, it wont really compare to a proper diff as it will be cutting in and out all the time.

You're right, it's not a proper LSD. It's the Golf system called XDS which is an electronic differential lock. Instead of being able to reduce power to a spinning wheel mid corner it uses the brakes to slow the wheel. An extension of the ESP system. When Evo magazine reviewed the Golt GTI Mk6 they didn't really mention the XDS much so I guess it's neither really good or a pain in the ass :confused:

puntoii

very very bad color...and the combination with white wheels..pfffffff.why???? :cry:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.