New Style SFS Silicone Boost Pipes On The Way :-)

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Afternoon all.

I have done a fair bit of research to do with my pipes blowing off the intercooler and it seems the only way to fix it properly is to buy a FMIC kit which is very expensive, or buy a silicone hose kit from Samco, Forge or SFS. I decided to retain the OEM IC and buy a kit.

I had a word with SFS and it seems they no longer do the elbows for the lower intercooler pipe due to the sharpness of the bend, they only do a turbo to intercooler pipe with the restrictor on the turbo end removed (bonus). The EGR to intercooler pipe is the same with the pipe in one piece. I looked at the Forge kits which were cheaper than the SFS, but with all the discounts from being a member on here gives you; the SFS came out at the same sort of price. I opted for the SFS kit because i like the idea of getting rid of 4 of the potential troublesome connections and the smoother air flow.

The kit has been ordered and takes about 7 days to be delivered, when i fit it i will take plenty of pictures and let you all know if there were any problems along the way :)

Last edited:

Murray

Jun 28, 2010
Oxford
Sounds like i have been through the same thought process as you. However, I went with the Forge 4 piece kit, though having read your post, and found out that they made a single top pipe as well, I would have probably opted for that. But seeing as I purchased the Forge ones I thought I would share my opinions on them.

At first I thought the pipes didn't fit but they just needed a little bit of grease to get them in, extremely tight fit, which is ideal. Seemingly there is no chance of the pipes blowing off, however I will inform of any future issues! The alloy bayonettes on these pipes are so much better than the originals and as I happened, when I removed the old pipes, 2 of the nibs had completely sheared off!

Just out of interest do your SFS pipes come with the alloy bayonettes? I would be interested to see how tight yours fit as well, because as mentioned previously my initial thoughts were that mine didn't fit!

Also due to a mix-up with forge they have sent me 3 additional pipes i.e. both lower pipes and upper pipe connecting to the EGR so if anybody is interested in purchasing off of me. Drop me a line.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Out of interest is this on the TDI models that you're having boost blowing the hoses off?I've got a Seat sport IC (same as cupra one), and have had the Forge pipework kit on about 5 years, no problems running on stage 2 boost levels on a 20VT, guessing if it is TDI you guys are running higher booth pressure?

Murray

Jun 28, 2010
Oxford
Yeah mine is the TDI FR - Someone may well correct me but I'm pretty sure they pop off due to the alloy nibs shearing off the bayonette ends on the original pipework. They had never popped off even when lightly cable tied on which is why I say this. Mine is completely standard boost and they would pop off with ease before they were tied on.

Did yours ever pop off with standard pipework though. I should hope mine wont pop off with the new Forge ones fitted.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
Mine is a 20VT FR, never popped off on the original side-mount IC, then when I was going up to stage 2 I fitted a FMIC with the Forge pipework, which again has never suffered with the problem. I think the TDI engines do run higher pressure as standard, however.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Thanks for sharing Jimmy-James ! this is just the information I wanted to know. Im considering changing mine as I am on 137,000 and expecting the bottom trouble 4 as you quiet rightly said to start going "pop". I have zip ties them all when I serviced my car to be cautious, but I know its inevitable sooner or later.

Really looking forward to your photos, take loads ! :)

Is it just one pipe from egr to intercooler and one pipe from turbo to intercooler ? love the simplicity of that alot !

Can you share prices pal or PM me them ? that would be much appreciated :)

many thanks

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
It was just under 250 because I threatened to buy forge because it was cheaper than them. It's nice to speak to companies who will still do you a deal. As for the connectors; they are all machined aluminium, the same as the forge ones.

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Temporary fix done to the lower pipes with ptfe tape, cable ties and shrink wrap which seems to be holding, annoyingly the top clip has broken completely somehow and the upper intercooler pipe is blowing off now. Kudos to Robinsons VW parts department for popping over to TPS for me to pick one up and to Dave the service engineer for delivering it to me, its a real bonus when they live in the same village as me. Saying that; i am an extremely good customer of theirs from being a T4 owner so they do tend to help me out a fair bit :)

Hurry up and get here shiny silicone pipe kit; all the lugs are absolutely knackered!

Last edited:

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
My lower boost hose popped off the other week. Cue me bodging it back together in the rain with cable ties. Since done a better job. It's leaking boost a smidge still though.

Second time it's done it now, I replaced the elbow piece of hose the first time. Not sur whether to get an SFS kit or just tear the whole lot out and replace!!

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Anyone had any luck with cheaper versions of the seat sport FMIC? Found one on a popular auction site for £155...

Also Jimmy do you have the part numbers from SFS? I plan to keep the egr/asv assembly so would need a kit with the bayonet couplers there and at the turbo end.

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge
Anyone had any luck with cheaper versions of the seat sport FMIC? Found one on a popular auction site for £155...

Also Jimmy do you have the part numbers from SFS? I plan to keep the egr/asv assembly so would need a kit with the bayonet couplers there and at the turbo end.

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
The kit I have ordered has the bayonet fittings with it but I'm not sure of the part number until I get the invoice. The kit is identical to the fr pd130 version. When the kit and invoice arrives I will post the part number and some pictures.

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Turned up today but it wasn't what I expected because it came with welded alloy upper and lower pipes and all the accessories to go with it. Sadly didn't have time to fit because I had to drive to bristol but when my course is finished they will be sorted!

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
Turned up today but it wasn't what I expected because it came with welded alloy upper and lower pipes and all the accessories to go with it. Sadly didn't have time to fit because I had to drive to bristol but when my course is finished they will be sorted!

I'm actually pleased there is alloy pipes in the kit. They will look cool and reduce the lag a length of silicone pipe might cause!

Last edited:

glenpring

Feb 26, 2014
Yer I see an alloy pipe online for a golf after I brought mine and the welding on the alloy pipe didn't look to good. What did you think of the welding? There was no pictures online of there parts I brought I spoke to lee I think it was and he said there web designer did a runner over a year ago that's why there's no pictures. Did you get any pics you could show us?

Jimmy-james

Aug 10, 2011
Norwich in sunny Norfolk
On closer inspection, that kit is made by sfs so it will be the same. I like the welds personally and am glad they haven't been ground out and polished. The main thing is they are air tight.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.