New to the Seat world

Aug 31, 2022
Evening all,

I’ve just joined the Seat family and bought a 1.2 tsi Leon this afternoon. Impressions so far are a mix between impressed and confused lol for a small engine, it’s got a surprising amount of pull. I’ve noticed a knocking from the back when going over rough road/turning and a creak from the from, so it’s getting booked back into the dealers tomorrow.

..but for the last couple of years I’ve been driving an automatic 1 series, so it’s taking a little while getting used to having a manual again and this is where the confusion comes in. The last time I drove a manual (an old Astra) you needed a bit of revs and away you go. But I’ve been reading about anti stall and I think it’s threw me for a loop ha when I try and give the Leon a small amount of revs, as I let out the clutch it reaches biting point and as it does, the revs go up, but it’s almost like the revs then go down within a split second and it makes for a rough start. Are these supposed to be driven without the need of giving it any throttle when setting off, or have I completely lost my skills for driving a manual ha?

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
To my understanding, you'll certainly need to 1/ apply some throttle, 2/gently let the clutch come up, 3/when the clutch engages start to progressively increase throttle. I believe, with the behaviour that you describe that you omit to praction the latter step. You have to increase the throttle a bit more and a bit sooner. When you feel the engine stalls and the car boggs, your timing is off or you were too gentle on the throttle. On the other hand, when you exaggerate, you'll give too much throttle or release the clutch too slow, the clutchplates will slip excessively. This will kill the lifespan of your clutchplates.