New wheels.. which ones?

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Hi guys! Need help making this decision ;)

After i've seen the pretoria 18" really like the way they look.

So looking to replace my FR 18" Performance with one of this:

Pretoria 18" Replicas from CM Wheels

1601887624280.png

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Cupra replicas of course :D

s-l1600 (1).jpg

This ones would be just perfect, but can't seem to find any 18" replicas :(

1601889061806.png

Thanks!

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@davidvilao; I’d personally not go for the Cupra replicas or the black edition alloys - the reason? - both of those wheels are diamond cut, so for me, potentially poor durability of the diamond cut finish would steer me towards wheels with a painted /powder coated finish which is much more durable, especially if your car is your daily driver. My current car came with diamond cut alloys and they’ll be getting replaced in the next couple of months for something more durable.

Of the first three sets of wheels in the pictures you’ve posted, my preference would be the Pretoria replicas in the first picture. The wheels in the second picture are really nice, but might be a bit of a pain to clean as they have lots of spokes. Also, if they’re the wheels at the link below, then the details in the ad says they have a machined finish which is another term for diamond cut, so for me that would be a no-no. Although they don’t look diamond cut from the picture, it might be worth checking with the seller.

With the early version of the CM Wheels Pretoria reps, I seem to remember that VAG centre caps wouldn’t fit, but I think this may have changed now but might be worth checking. I think the 18” Pretoria reps are an 8Jx18” ET45 wheel, so they'd give a slightly more aggressive stance than the OEM wheels Seat fit to the Leon.

If you want to check how the ‘critical measurements‘ of any of these wheels compare to your current wheels, then there’s a handy calculator on www.willtheyfit.com. Just input details of your current wheel / tyre set up and the same details for the new ones and it’ll calculate the differences for you.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I would echo @SRGTD's comments - avoid diamond cut wheels, they're a nuisance. I'd go for the first ones with the second ones as a second choice.

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

Didn’t think that, but makes perfect sense what you said.

Think I’ll might just go with the Pretoria’s .

Still need to see some mk3 with those fitted ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Now just need to decide witch color:

Gunmetal grey or silver ?

My Leon is monsoon grey I guess that’s what they call it...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@davidvilao; I’d always go for gunmetal / anthracite grey coloured wheels as my first choice - that’s what I had on my last two cars so I may be a little biased. My current (new) car is white and I’ll be getting a set of grey painted alloys to replace the original diamond cut wheels in the next couple of months - these ones;
27F10899-5989-46A2-8FF0-F70CE473AFC4.jpeg
IMO gunmetal / anthracite coloured wheels go well with most car paint colours, although as you have a grey car, you might prefer to have some contrast between car colour and wheel colour.

Worth doing a few google searches; ‘mk3 Moonstone Grey Seat Leon with gunmetal alloys‘ and although you may not find a car with gunmetal Pretoria replica alloys, you may find pictures of grey Leons with gunmetal coloured alloys in a similar style that’ll give you a good idea of what the colour combination will look like.

Last edited:

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

Didn’t think that, but makes perfect sense what you said.

Think I’ll might just go with the Pretoria’s .

Still need to see some mk3 with those fitted ;)

As above in the thread
eadaf17629d38e7a0c860913147f91dd.jpg

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You say your already have 18" performance FR wheels, why would you replace with 18" replica alloys that IMO are no better looking, makes no sense.

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
[mention]BigJase88 [/mention] thanks for you input. But that’s why we all have different tastes and so on.

Particularly I do t find the FR Performance the most gorgeous wheels.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I really like the Cupra ones from a 260 or 280 that you had a pic of in Silver. They’d go well with the car

Reactions: davidvilao

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Pretorias get my vote. Not a fan of diamond cut - even though just about every manufacturer on the planet obviously believe they're what the punter wants.

Reactions: davidvilao

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I really like the Cupra ones from a 260 or 280 that you had a pic of in Silver. They’d go well with the car

I do have diamond cut and haven’t had any problems since I got them. Have had one refurbed and it was bad (long story- always is) and they were reasonable to have repaired and look great now done
fc365efd8a58efc187af47c3a23f7b9f.jpg

555e89bed58d0c510e07a8a7ce0b0ebd.jpg

miccol

Sep 23, 2017
Cotswolds
Hi guys!

Been looking to upgrade my 17" FR alloys to 18" so i've been looking for this models, which ones do you guys think will look the best?

Thanks!

I like the second ones the most but I urge you to check out the golf mk5 Monza 18’s (black with diamond cut face look amazing) or the older style of 21spoke Audi A3.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer to stick with original alloys so maybe a set of Cupra R Ronal’s would fit the bill.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just my opinion, but I would always put OEM wheels on a car.

High quality aftermarket wheels are expensive, cheap ones a liability. They are not as strong and if you kill one it might be harder or impossible to buy a replacement. There is a Polo I drive past every day that has odd wheels on it!

When you tell you're insurance company about the wheel swap, which you should, they will ask you if the wheels are OEM. If they are, they're happy. And aftermarket wheels are like mods, they put a lot of people off buying the car. I wouldn't buy a car with aftermarket wheels on it. I want everything to be as factory as possible.

davidvilao

May 28, 2018
Thanks to everyone that gave their input, so for now i'm kinda lean between sticking with the FR Performance or go with the Pretorias (replicas) in Gunmetal grey.

Aug 13, 2020
What's the used alloys/wheels market like for Seat in the UK? I want to sell 4x18" alloys+tyres for a Leon and replace with 17" (have read you don't feel potholes nearly as much with 17s). Is it reasonable to expect to be able to sell the wheels fairly quickly or am I in for a long ride? Would a dealership or garage ever be interested in taking wheels off your hands?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.