Newbie alert! Leon Tdi FR question...

MrJollygood

Jul 22, 2017
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is a total newbie question but I'm looking to purchase a five door 2014/15 Leon Tdi FR 2.0

In particular I'm looking at the 181bhp version - my question is, apart from the additional power are there are any visible differences between the 148bhp 2.0 and the 181bhp version? I'm thinking trim levels, badges, wheel design etc. How do you identify between the two?

Also, I'm sure it's probably been discussed a million times but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on manual vs dsg. I've never been interested in autos/semi autos but a long commute has got me thinking that maybe I'm stuck in the past...

Thanks for your advice,

MrJollygood

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Has been discussed millions of times :)
Brakes
Suspension
Dont think there are any visible differences

gbengaajai

Mar 23, 2017
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is a total newbie question but I'm looking to purchase a five door 2014/15 Leon Tdi FR 2.0

In particular I'm looking at the 181bhp version - my question is, apart from the additional power are there are any visible differences between the 148bhp 2.0 and the 181bhp version? I'm thinking trim levels, badges, wheel design etc. How do you identify between the two?

Also, I'm sure it's probably been discussed a million times but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on manual vs dsg. I've never been interested in autos/semi autos but a long commute has got me thinking that maybe I'm stuck in the past...

Thanks for your advice,

MrJollygood
I collected my fr yesterday coming from manual mazda. I test drove mazda etc before finally settle for leon. DSG blew my expectation. I think as long as you went for 150ps and above. Auto and low powered engines just don't mix.
You can see the smile on my face from the back.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

MrJollygood

Jul 22, 2017
Thanks, yeah I thought it was a newbie question! I read about the brakes and suspension - so there's no other visible difference?

Reason for asking is that I drove a supposedly 181hp car at a dealers t'other day and it felt noticeably slower than one that I test drove the week before so I was suspicious that (whether consciously or not) they were trying to pass the lesser powered car off as a 181hp model...

Last edited:

gbengaajai

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks, yeah I thought it was a newbie question! I read about the brakes and suspension - so there's no other visible difference?

Reason for asking is that I drove a supposedly 181hp car at a dealers t'other day it it felt noticeably slower than one that I test drove the week before so I was suspicious that (whether consciously or not) they were trying to pass the lesser powered car off as a 181hp model...
I think tdi is not as responsive as tsi. Never a fan of tdi. In my opinion if you want power on demand tsi is it. Eager to please and serve.

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Look at the rear brakes
If they're in line with the front ones then theres a multilink suspension and thats the 184

If they're above
Thats the 150 with the beam axle

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I think tdi is not as responsive as tsi. Never a fan of tdi. In my opinion if you want power on demand tsi is it. Eager to please and serve.

+1. And given the current climate with regards to diesel, I'd be more tempted towards petrol...

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
My take on the DSG debate is that people who are willing to weigh up the pro's and con's and decide in favour of DSG are unlikely to regret their decision.
People who prefer manual just want it fullstop and aren't interested in any consideration at all of the benefits of DSG.
And do I miss the starting handle? YES I DO! :fool:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Reason for asking is that I drove a supposedly 181hp car at a dealers t'other day and it felt noticeably slower than one that I test drove the week before so I was suspicious that (whether consciously or not) they were trying to pass the lesser powered car off as a 181hp model...

this also happened to me when I first had a go in a 184.
Felt really flat, poor throttle response.

Then I realised it was in eco mode.

DSC_7486.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.