Newbie, Cupra queries

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Dont want to be on here asking websters questions but ive had my new leon cupra a few days and it seems to have lost power since 1st picking it up?? By this i mean it feels less responsive in 2nd and 3rd, not boosting as much? Will the 'power' grudually increase as it run in? has around 250 miles on it?

The engine at tickover sounds quite 'tappity' and rattely is this normal? (its like this from start up even after its been ticking over and warmed up?)

Theres a seat dealership down the road but before going and making a fool of myself i thought i would pick SCnet' brains, its my first turbo car and am feeling a little clueless???

Help!

Thanks mike

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

The tappy sound is normal something to do with high pressure injectors

as for a loss in power you shouldnt have any

i know when new the cupra has a very tight engine but it shouldnt get worse

out of interest what fuel did you fill it up with

Irfan

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Ah okay. Perhaps I got used to it? Just doesnt seam as quick at all?
Also the whistle of the turbo spinning up sounded louder when I 1st got it compared to now.

Using V power, luckily i get it for a frction of the price, been in the forces in germany allows me 180litres of tax free fuel a month :)

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Yes, you probably got used to it. It seems to improve after 800-900 miles.
I have the tappety sound too. I thought it might be knackered at first. But as Irfan (and everyone else) says it's the injectors.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

Aaah good, will be trying to take it steady till that stage anyway, thanks Rampage..

Irfan - Whay do you ask about the fuel??

If you use a lower ron fuel the car feels completely different thats all

just wanted to see if it was a possiblity

Irfan

willyd

I hate to be a weirdo but my baby has good days and bad - ambient temp is prob a major factor. Take yours out v early on a crisp morning, you'll not write about her not being that fast afterwards!!

Enjoy

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Definately seams down on power, feels 'flat' through 3rd? Goin to seat tommorow to have a check up. No idea what could be the matter....

If it was in 'limp' or get you home mode would i have any dash lights on??? Doesnt this reset when you switch ignition off??

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Could be the dump valve. Some have been known to split and boost is lost as a result. Surprised after 250 miles that this has happened though.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members