Newbie LCR questons

rustydonkey

Hi everybody,
I have posted in the New members section and i hope to buy an LCR soon. I have found out that stage 1 involves just a remap to get around 265bhp. How does the traction control cope with 265bhp? Is it very intrusive on a car in standard form? I have had a Japanese car where electronic boost controllers feature very soon on the tuning path I can't seem to find any mention of them on here.

rustydonkey

Does the traction control cut in a lot then when its on?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
unfortunately the tcs and esp are on the same switch, i find the esp very intrusive so turning it off is part of my car starting routine! it doesn't turn completely off, but remains running in the background and kicks in if you try hard enough! the tcs does turn completely off though and traction is manageable especially with an uprated dogbone mount to cost <£20. hope that helps

andycupra

status subject to change
the tractino control is not a race type traction control, so many will say that it is intrusive. Whereas i think its not that bad, - having experienced some other systems.
But many turn it off when they go for a spirited drive, turning it off routinely is in my opinion a silly thing to do.

rustydonkey

What's the esp? So if you have tc turned off and he wheels spin excessively it will turn back on again.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
ESP is electronic stability control which will try and straighten the line of the car if it senses the car is sliding - i find it senses a bit of tyre wall movement when driving briskly along A&B roads and then jumps it by grabbing a brake to help correct the slide - all very well if you aren't expecting to slide a little; but if you are its a PITA and quite interfering!
When TCS is turned off it will not kick in at all no matter how much wheel spin you get (your right foot is best for controlling wheel spin).

andycupra

status subject to change
ESP is the system that can brake individual wheels in order to correct the car behaviour thats outside its limits based on your inputs. eg if you are steering and the car isnt it may brake the outer front wheel to reduce understeer etc.
TSC is traction control only, - some leons have TSC but no ESP.

Traction control is part of the ESP system, so if a car has ESP it also has traction control.
Ive not experienced leons that just had TSC, but i get the feelings its more intrusive than it is in ESP systems. and im sure in the lower powered cars its more intrusive (when it does kick in).

If you turn off ESP its not totally off. Its less intrusive but ill operate in extreme circumstances, but shouldnt annoy you if you giving it some.
If you prefer this setting you need to turn off the esp each time you drive the car. (or disable it some other way..)

Last edited:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Hi everybody,
I have posted in the New members section and i hope to buy an LCR soon. I have found out that stage 1 involves just a remap to get around 265bhp. How does the traction control cope with 265bhp? Is it very intrusive on a car in standard form?

Why not get a free 5hr trial of a code and see for yourself (the free trial is 85% of the real deal) Revo and Apr both do the trials

rustydonkey

Why not get a free 5hr trial of a code and see for yourself (the free trial is 85% of the real deal) Revo and Apr both do the trials
I probably will once I have found the right car. What happens at the end of the trial, Does the map automatically revert to standard?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Ruddmeister - curious, what do you mean trial map is 85% of the real deal? is the real map quicker and why would they do that?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
When you get the full thing (not trial), don't they tweak it to behave as you like i.e. aggressive or progressive?
Or are they all the same settings. I too am curious about the 85% trial.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
After a remap the car will progesively get stronger over the corse of a few cold starts, so you wont feel the full force of the map with a 5 hour trial.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
When you get the full thing (not trial), don't they tweak it to behave as you like i.e. aggressive or progressive?
Or are they all the same settings. I too am curious about the 85% trial.

I had the 85% Revo trial on my car and it was well worth it. Definately getting the real deal when funds allow :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Ruddmeister - curious, what do you mean trial map is 85% of the real deal? is the real map quicker and why would they do that?

It's a combination of things, they evolve the code for a start and I recall 3 or 4 different LCR codes at the beginning just for the LCR (early days) and I doubt the trial is the latest most refined version.

As DK says above your cars ECU runs adaptation, it adapts to your driving style and if you search there are some more technical posts on this. The ECU will be reset and loose it adaptation then progressively this comes back so the code won't be at it's best until at least 1 or 2 days later.

I must have read 100 posts on people saying they drive home and give the car some beans and the code is great, but the next morning it's even better......probably adaptation + cool dense morning air etc etc........or it was the tuning Pixies overnight having a fiddle ;)

Don't know if Custom Code do a trial ? but Revo and Apr do :shrug:

Darren4

Is there a buying guide on here by any chance please. Just want to know the main points on what to look for when buying.

Should hopefully help everyone else as well.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Is there a buying guide on here by any chance please. Just want to know the main points on what to look for when buying.

Should hopefully help everyone else as well.

Not for remaps no........I'd say do a comparison between

Amd, Apr, Revo, Jabba and Custom Code

Maybe Forge and P-torque too

All big names with good customer services (we hope you don't need this but hey) and big names mean they have done hundreds of hours R&D etc unlike cheap ebay bedroom tuners etc

Compare cost, location, trial codes, guarantees (some do money back if not 100% happy) etc and see what suits you best.

Where in the country are you?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members