Nightmare MOT!

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Yeah, had a 4 wheel check today; the toe and camber is out on the rears, not quite exactly the same but pretty much identical, seems very strange indeed!!! Although as I thought, there's nothing they can do about the rears, apparently gotta take it to Seat dealers and they can sort it but I'm assuming that's gonna cost far too much, although if its less than £500 it may well be worth considering to get it sorted once and for all!!! No shims in the axles either so that's that idea out the window... Maybe it was jumped by a previous owner whilst having a slab of concrete in the boot!!!

makes u wonder what some people get up to with their cars!!

Hope it's not too bad for u. Let us know how u get on. Will be interesting to know :)

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Had the anti roll bar bushes changed today and driving it the short distance from the garage to work the front end felt revitalised! I'm surprised I never noticed it slowly deteriorating as it was quite bad but now its all tightened up feels much better!

Seems I'll have to live with the rear chewing up tyres as I've rung around and jabbasport could do it, just they seemed to think it wouldn't be worth it as the cost to get it done properlly would be way too much (shimming the rear axles, check alignment, reshim, check etc...) and would be as much as buying a whole new set of tyres!

Anyhow, much happier now it feels a lot better to drive! New tyres tomorrow and MOT in the afternoon, fingers crossed it'll pass this time round!

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Third MOT test today and third time lucky!!!

Failed on wed for "Rear (bracket broken) exhaust system not adequately supported", although the first MOT guy just put this as an advisory!

Getting the bracket welded today for £30 and shud get a nice shiny 12 months MOT... What a nightmare couple of weeks getting it sorted out! Although feel much better about my car again now, was starting to loose interest in it but the amount its cost me over the last 2 weeks has revitalised my love for it and I'll definitely start to spruce the old beast back to her showroom gleaming best!

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
So all in all:
£55 failed test
£60 track rod end
£40 anti roll bar bushes
£330 4x tyres (+ Fitting and balancing approx another £50)
£100 4 wheel alignment
£10 headlight adjustment (if required)
£25 MOT test

£620 + Tyre fitting Cost You £670 Not Bad considering your quote from us was £680 all in using genuine parts and that would have included a new roll bar, sounds like you got a real bargain.

To sum things up its people like you who give garages a bad name, if you and your mates (who know everything about cars) know so much WHY do you bother to take your car to any garage, why not just fix it yourself then you would have no reason to moan about people that are trying to earn an honest living.

Just goes to prove that at 11.28am on a Friday morning you have nothing better to do than to trawl around forums rather than working on customers cars!

Oh and BTW, I haven't anywhere on this thread put a direct link to your garage on this post.

£330 was for tyres supplied, fitted & balanced.

£45 for 4 wheel alignment and front adjust

£60 for front ARB bushes to be replaced; if the bar needs replacing in a few months we'll soon find out but it looks fine to the person who fitted it.

£52 for the track rod end fitted

£30 welding exhaust bracket

£25 MOT test

ALL above parts are from SEAT, I know because I ordered them and picked them up myself!

Total = £542 When you consider the tyre's I've now got fitted are Falken Ziex's that's a much better price than what you quoted.

Your total quote was £680 (parts & labour) + £55 MOT test = £735

Not anywhere have I written that I don't agree with the failures you gave to the car and I've addressed all the failures that you pointed out to me.
I can imagine that anyone having to fork out +£500 for repairs is going to call that a bit of a nightmare don't you think!?

As for the previous & present liable & slanderous comments and actions in this and other posts on this Forum, Legal action is still being considered.[/COLOR]

The last time I checked, it's not illegal for someone to voice their opinion about a company (which in this thread I have not directly linked your garage to this thread)

Last edited:

53 Leon SX

aka Kris
Oct 22, 2010
London
The Other Side Of The Story
...if you and your mates (who know everything about cars) know so much WHY do you bother to take your car to any garage...

MOT is a legal requirement is it not, where by law you have to take it to a garage right? correct me if I'm wrong!

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
The Said vehicle was actually brought in to us for the wheel alignment check & adjust on the 6/5/2010 and 9,522 miles ago,the reported fault as you stated in one of your previous posts was “pulling slightly to the left” at the time of inspection there was no ball joint problem and as we do not have crystal ball it would be very difficult to predict a component failure 10 month &
10,000 mile in the future, Another point to make, at no stage had the customer contacted us to say that he still had any issuer regarding his wheel alignment ?

When I came to the garage to pay the MOT failed test I asked why the rear tyres were so worn out. To which, your reply was "Because they're budget tyre's and that's what happens with cheap tyres" (which is complete rubbish) and was the sole reason I decided not to further discuss your repair quote and ask you to go ahead with the repair work; I simply wanted a proper answer to a proper question knowing that budget tyres don't wear out after 10k miles because I've other cars with budget tyres that have lasted for well over 30k on the rears!
The rears have worn as badly as they have after just 10k miles because both the toe and camber of the rears is out (indicating the previous owner must have hit a kerb or something)...

Left Rear Toe:
0 degrees 21'

Right Rear Toe:
-1 degrees 19'

Left Rear Camber:
-1 degrees 51'

Right Rear Camber:
-2 degrees 12'

Thanks.

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Third time lucky... Now fixed up all the issues and passed the MOT!

Will have to change the rear brakes and get it in for a service next month!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
As for the previous & present liable & slanderous comments and actions in this and other posts on this Forum, Legal action is still being considered.

Good luck with that.....

Slander is "spoken" defamation, of which cannot occur on an internet forum.

Liable is not in context, I imagine you have misspelled the word you were actually thinking of.

Either way, if for sake of argument you meant Libel - you would need to demonstrate many things. The first of which is that you have indeed been harmed by this - and as yet I cannot work out what you would consider libellous as no names or business titles have been mentioned.

It may help that it's only a civil matter, and not criminal - so you would want to consider what benifit you might see by asking your solicitor to write us a letter, asking to remove comments regarding YOU - of which I still see none. And then seek damages against your good reputation. Of which it's not possible to identify who we're talking about.

If it helps I write to Solicitors most every day, so I look forward to this if in fact you think it's a good idea.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
MOT is a legal requirement is it not, where by law you have to take it to a garage right? correct me if I'm wrong!

Its covered under section 45 of the road traffic act but alot of vehicle faults that are not an mot failure may still land you in hot water with the old bill as the test is only a minimun standard the vehicle must meet at the time of the test.

As for taking it to a garage for repairs - irrelevent, any joe blogs with a set of spanners can repair a vehicle as long as it meets the requirments for the test or the repairs have brought the vehicle up to minimum standard for a pass.

Bret

Lcr stealth :)
Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
To sum things up its people like you who give garages a bad name, if you and your mates (who know everything about cars) know so much WHY do you bother to take your car to any garage, why not just fix it yourself then you would have no reason to moan about people that are trying to earn an honest living.
As for the previous & present liable & slanderous comments and actions in this and other posts on this Forum, Legal action is still being considered.

:lol::lol::lol: OMG how old???there is no name of the garage and no name of a mechanic so how would it even be possible to obtain legal action haha what for...hear say??? :lol::lol::lol: what a joke and its not us that give you a bad name its the few extortionate,slap dash garages like yourself that give out the bad names:banned:Maybe being on here would explain why you miss faults i.e TRACK ROD ENDS!!!!

:censored::ban::censored:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Interesting that 'leon luke' is the same user as CRG who both have posted here, first time was an offensive message left by the person who now claims to be a business owner.

Not very nice people it might seem.

junglist_matty

Mar 19, 2010
Cambridge
Interesting that 'leon luke' is the same user as CRG who both have posted here, first time was an offensive message left by the person who now claims to be a business owner.

Not very nice people it might seem.

Indeed they are not, especially going by the post made earlier (by user "Leon Luke") as I did read it before it was removed and the user banned.

My final input to this thread is that I work for CSR (Cambridge Silicon Radio); one of the biggest companies in Cambridge (approx. 1000 employees within a mile radius of CRG). Event better, luckily for Cowley Road Garage (user ID: CRG) we have an internal automotive newsgroup for such advice on local garages so my promise to you is that I'll do my up-most to ensure none of my fellow colleagues ever make the same mistake as me and use your appalling services.

Congratulations CRG for showing your true colours by posting such immature and offensive posts on a public forum. To which I applause you!

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
Do you know the history of this car ??? could it have been in a side on accident and axle slightly bent/running out.... cant see why previous owner would shim stub axle if the car running stock suspension, that dont make sense.....

Pyro

Good luck with that.....

Slander is "spoken" defamation, of which cannot occur on an internet forum.

Liable is not in context, I imagine you have misspelled the word you were actually thinking of.

Either way, if for sake of argument you meant Libel - you would need to demonstrate many things. The first of which is that you have indeed been harmed by this - and as yet I cannot work out what you would consider libellous as no names or business titles have been mentioned.

It may help that it's only a civil matter, and not criminal - so you would want to consider what benifit you might see by asking your solicitor to write us a letter, asking to remove comments regarding YOU - of which I still see none. And then seek damages against your good reputation. Of which it's not possible to identify who we're talking about.

If it helps I write to Solicitors most every day, so I look forward to this if in fact you think it's a good idea.

I think you've been told mate :lol: nice on mark showed that mofo

mikeholroyd

You originally mentioned that a rear wiper blade was needed -- rubbish, it's not even part of the MOT. Front wipers, yes, but not rear.

Mike

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
Just had my MOT done today, passed but advised new front bushes, new front tyres, new front discs, new ball joint and tracking on n/s front.

Service next wk, gonna get new front discs from Badger5 for this so that's £200 odd inc VAT and will prob get all the bushes upgraded to Polys at the same time (not sure yet though). They also quoted me £300 odd for cam belt, water pump change which I thought was a great price.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.