Noise on initial acceleration

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Hoping I can get some advice on a noise that the TDI Sport has developed this morning. I've done a search on here but haven't found anything.

The noise only happens on initial acceleration and does this in at least 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The noise is difficult to describe, it's not a knock, it sounds a little like gear crunch but the happens when the gears are engaged properly and only for about 0.5s on initially accelerating. I suspect it could be the lower gearbox mount but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps in diagnosis it seemed to first occur just after I had done a hard launch.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
is it chipped eddy?

there was the issue in the past with the flywheel oscillation on chipped diesels

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
Saul said:
is it chipped eddy?

there was the issue in the past with the flywheel oscillation on chipped diesels

Nope, standard other than a filter.

I think it's the lower gearbox mount. Can anyone advise if uprated inserts available like for the leon chassis?

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
i would imagine someone would do them

i think bill is a vibratechnics dealer so you could ask him

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
When you get some new ones fitted, get some of the Powerflex ones which slot inside the OE ones. Do a search for "udders" :blink:

EddyH

Aug 9, 2002
Pontefract
Visit site
muddyboots said:
When you get some new ones fitted, get some of the Powerflex ones which slot inside the OE ones. Do a search for "udders" :blink:

Are they really worth an extra £40 on top of what it's already going to cost?

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
EddyH said:
Would you say there necessary on a standard car?

on a TDI 130... its up to you.

i think one of the main reasons they fail/go weak is the weight of the engine.. they should have been uprated to cope.. i see this as a "oversight" on VAG's part..
im going to get mine changed, as im pretty sure my straight line skittishness and torque steer is due to these... i can shake the front wheels almost a inch even when they are on the ground.. only a fracton of that with the powerflex udders in..
would be interesting to see others feedback on how their cars are... if you grab hold of a front wheel at the ten-to-two position and try to roll it back and forth... it will move a bit, pivoting on the rear bush..

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I noticed that too on mine the other day, holding a tyre at the quarter-to-three position I could roll it back and forward quite noticeably...

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
muddyboots said:
I noticed that too on mine the other day, holding a tyre at the quarter-to-three position I could roll it back and forward quite noticeably...

Ill have to see if i can find a almost new one to compare with.

its definately much reduced with the udders in.. so that must be a good thing :)
bet they aint easy to change tho, because the bushes are on the subframe.:(

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.