noisy cold start

duchion9

I have a 2003 LC with a star performance remap and forge DV. I recently noticed that when the car is started cold there is a noise similar to an exhaust leak from the engine. it last about a minute then goes silent. you cannot hear it from inside the car. is this usual or is there a problem

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
mione does it too, but aint got a remap yet. heard that its the secondary air pump that gets noisy when the plastic casing cracks but cant see any probs with mine, so would be interested 2 know if anyone else has some info. sounds ruff as hell when u start the car from cold. people ask me all the time whats wrong with it in the carpark. oh yea does yours go pppsssshhh when it stops after approx a minute aswell

wilso

Hello,
I've got a 03 LC thats been remapped and mine does exactly the same with a psssshh after about a minute. Thought it was the noise the pump made anyway, I didn't realise it was possibly due to cracks.
Although, the pssssh sound does sound quite cool. [B)]
However, the rough bit before really doesn't!! :cry:

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
mine did that aswell...

secondry air pipe came unclipped( black flexible hose right hand side of engine cover low down,but still reachable) , i pushed it back into place and all was fixed...no noise:) try that chaps...

vaudaz

Aug 18, 2007
Where abouts is the secondary air pump? Mine started making a loud noise for 30 seconds or so from a cold start,it's silent after then!

Gez110

What does the secondary air pump do?

Hi,

My 01 LC has just started making a noise a bit like a vacum cleaner on cold start up. Seat dealer reckons the secondary air pump is on the way out. Seen this thread and others, but what is it and what effect if any does it have on performance

Cheers

Gez

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
It's part of the secondary air system which help reduce cold-start emissions when the CAT is still warming up. It feeds air from the air cleaner into additional pipework on the exhaust mani and mixes with the exhaust gases, which apparently raises the temp of the exhaust and helps burn pollutants as well as help bring the CAT up to operational temp more quickly. Once the coolant temp is up and the CAT is working properly, the system is switched off by the ECU...that's what it says here anyway.:D

I guess it won't affect performance much, if at all, just means your emissions will be a bit high until the motor is warmed up. :shrug:

Last edited:

Gez110

It's part of the secondary air system which help reduce cold-start emissions when the CAT is still warming up. It feeds air from the air cleaner into additional pipework on the exhaust mani and mixes with the exhaust gases, which apparently raises the temp of the exhaust and helps burn pollutants as well as help bring the CAT up to operational temp more quickly. Once the coolant temp is up and the CAT is working properly, the system is switched off by the ECU...that's what it says here anyway.:D

I guess it won't affect performance much, if at all, just means your emissions will be a bit high until the motor is warmed up. :shrug:

Cheers Nick,

I'll just keep an eye on it for now, Main dealer quoted a rather horrifying figure to replace!!!

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
My old LC used to do this and the noise was exactly as decribed earlier a vacuum cleaner and it only lasts a minute and then switches off. The thing is I read a thread on here and one of the lads posted some pictures. Basically there is a leak coming from the secondary air pump which can be fixed but for it to be quite lous means the leak is getting big. Do a search and you will find details.

jay

Gez110

My old LC used to do this and the noise was exactly as decribed earlier a vacuum cleaner and it only lasts a minute and then switches off. The thing is I read a thread on here and one of the lads posted some pictures. Basically there is a leak coming from the secondary air pump which can be fixed but for it to be quite lous means the leak is getting big. Do a search and you will find details.

jay

Thanks Jay, will research it a tad more

chris_2jze

Mine does this too, sounds like the airbox is missing for about a minute then a psssst and dead silent, did anyone find the thread about fixing it then, ive searched too but no joy cheers all.:)

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
Hey guys, i browsed the guide and thought to check mine and im glad i did, the gap on my pump was pretty big as seen below
DSC00886.jpg

And here is the finished article - parts cost me £1.50 from proper job
DSC00887.jpg

Took me about 2 hours as its a bar steward to take off and worse to re-fit! But the proof is in the pudding, ill have to wait until later on tonight when the engines not been run and its cold, so from looking at the difference i should say i might have won this battle touch wood

also be careful when removing as mine came off and clocked me straight on the chin, its not the lightest of things and gravity hurts!!

Last edited: