Noisy fuel pump

Pedro

Hi folks,

After a bit of advice please!

Over the last few weeks my fuel pump has become very audiable whilst the car is idling (8v GTI).

It sounds the same as ever when initally priming, but once the engine is running there is a constant high pitched whine from it. I know some pumps make this noise as normal, but it used to be pretty much silent and is now anything but!

Is it likely to be the pump on its way out, or perhaps a dirty fuel filter causing the pump to work harder than normal? Am I just being paranoid? :think: Car starts and drives fine.

Cheers

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Mine started making that noise and continued to do so for probably 5 years. Only replaced it to be safe when I start track daying the car - made the decision that regularly pushing the engine to 100% was likely to kill it leaving me stranded at a track day.

I'd just live with it and turn the stereo up and avoid having rear seat passengers. I can remember giving a friend a lift back from the Lakes to Surrey. I think he was ready to throttle me by the end of the journey :eek:)

Pedro

Thanks for the replies folks, looks like (fingers crossed) I haven't got to worry about it for a while yet then!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.