Noisy tappets....help.....

martynrushin

The tappits have started making an awful racket on my Toledo 2.3 V5. To be honest, my interest is in bodywork etc, and I'm not really any good with the mechanical side of things.

Would you recommend that a simple adjustment might help with this (and if so, how much do you reckon I'd get stung for?), or am I likely to need any parts replacing (and again, likely cost?.....).

It's done a fair few miles (up to 140K now, although it was dealer serviced up to 110) - so I'm not surprised!

:help:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I can think of one adjustment, you can turn the radio volume control to the right until you can't hear the tappets anymore... :)

I don't know specifics about the V5 engine yet as I haven't found time to read the manual, but most new engines don't have any manual adjustment of tappets. There's usually some automatic process such as the tappets being hydraulic. I don't remember anything related to the tappets in the maintenance schedule so that would suggest there isn't anything that would 'slip' over time.

What I've found with previous cars is that the tappets being noisy is usually the engine asking for an oil change. You mention 140k with dealer servicing up to 110, I'm assuming that you've not got 30k miles without a service? When was the last time you changed the oil?

I'm going to have to start reading up about the V5, mine has just got to 110k and I need to understand what might happen over the next 110k.

martynrushin

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated - and you're right, I already do the volume thing!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
as slimy says above, personally a decent oil change with a flush

clean it out proper then forte do a top end treatment additive that may help and worth a try to see if it does, gives you an idea of what to look forward to then

giddy1

hi i have a lcr and it has 47k miles on it with a up to date dealer history when the bonnet is lifted the engine sounds quite tappy as i have just bought the car i am not sure if it should be making a noise i thought a low mileage 1.8t should be quite quiet please help anyone will be appreciated my friend tells me it will be the hydraulic tappets and not to worry as long as the services are kept up to date. help

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You might be mistaking tappets noise for ignition noise. When you lift the bonnet you can always hear a slight tapping, its the ignition unit actually making the sparks. On my car it comes from the left hand side of the engine bay, I've no idea where it might be on yours.

A top end engine noise can usually still be heard with the bonnet closed. But your friend is right, noisy tappets aren't usually that bad. Hydraulic tappets are not 100% and can be quite noisy, it's a trade off for having them adjust automatically. The alternative is having to open up the engine every major service and adjusting them manually. And its a bad enough job on my motorbike, I wouldn't fancy having to do it on a car!

giddy1

yes it does appear to be coming from the left so it could be that thanks for the reply very helpful

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
You might be mistaking tappets noise for ignition noise. When you lift the bonnet you can always hear a slight tapping, its the ignition unit actually making the sparks. On my car it comes from the left hand side of the engine bay, I've no idea where it might be on yours.

yes it does appear to be coming from the left so it could be that thanks for the reply very helpful

I think you'll find that the ticking from the left hand side of the bay is the Evap purge valve (it's the small cylindrical thing on the left of the engine bay). Read my post 8 here (it's the thing arrowed in the pic in post 2):

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=222081&highlight=evap+purge+valve

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members