Non-spray bumper repair?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Thought I'd revive this one as I'm going to be buying some materials to re-do the lacquer on the rear bumper, as well as repairing the front bumper.

I've noticed in the past few days that where someone's nudged my car, it's created a kind of spider web effect on the rear bumper. Is this the kind of thing that a 2K lacquer would stop from happening? My thinking is that I want a tough lacquer but at the same time because I'm painting something that has to be a bit flexible, something that's hard might not be right. I've got a can of ProXL 2K (proper 2K with the activator in the can) but as it's expensive and I'm going to be spraying the front and rear bumpers, I want it to be the right stuff before I spend a fortune.
I have the web like cracks across a few parts of my bumper and the sand down and repaint didnt hide them at all, they slowly creeped back into the paint.

I reversed into a bollard last night so now i have to repaint my bumper for the third time lol

also the ProXL stuff is really good but make sure you use it in one go, mine went hard over night :(

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I have the web like cracks across a few parts of my bumper and the sand down and repaint didnt hide them at all, they slowly creeped back into the paint.

I reversed into a bollard last night so now i have to repaint my bumper for the third time lol

also the ProXL stuff is really good but make sure you use it in one go, mine went hard over night :(

Looking at the finish of the lacquer when I did the spray, I don't think it was thick enough. I did the inside of my c-pillar around the same time and that dried to a glossy finish and I didn't even bother polishing it, while the bumper had the orange peel feel to it.

Sounds like I might need another can of ProXL for the front bumper as well then and give them both a crapload of coats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I always do a pretty hefty clear coat and sand / polish out the orange peel once it hardens. You’ll never not get orange peel with rattle cans imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.