Number Plate Options!!! What's on people cars!

Joel_Lucketti

Aug 22, 2011
Torbay, Devon
Hi all.

Just wondering what people have done with number plates on their cupras.

Has anyone gone down the 4d, 3d route?

Im not sure wether to go down that route yet but I did have a number plate seat surround on my old cupra.

Does any one have any pictures of there's with number plate surrounds or with 4d, 3d plates etc.

Cheers all

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve had pressed metal plates and 4D acrylic plates fitted to my cars over the years.

I used to get the pressed metal plates from Dub Meister in the past, but since lockdown I have been unable to get them to reply

I went for 4D acrylic this time from Number1Plates - they used to be a sponsor on here and offer 20% discount. @Syphon might be able to confirm if this is still the case, as I can’t find them on here now.

I can’t fault the quality - I have a set of 400mm short plates on one car and standard size on the other with plate surrounds. Only issue is that in some modern car parks the ANPR cameras do not pick up the plate, which can make it difficult to pay/use automated parking. Both cars have passed their MOT recently as compliant with BS1045e and never been pulled over with pressed metal or acrylic 4D plates.

I struggled to get the plate surrounds onto my Cupra on the rear bumper as the indentations on the plastic trim did not align with any of the holes on the Wurth plate surround that I had.

Not sure if you want a country marking on the plate. If so, make sure it is one of the home nations or UK (not GB any longer) if you intend driving on the continent without a UK sticker.

In terms of showing what the plate looks like you may struggle as peeps generally don’t wish to show their registration mark on here due to cloning/security.

Have a look at the company websites though - there are some Cupras on there.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I have 3d gel, im not a fan of the 4d acrylic plates personally
It would be boring if we were all the same…

I was a child in the 70s/80s and the 3D gel plates remind me of the puffy-stickers that we used to stick everywhere - much to the disgust of our parents!

Attachments

• 10203031-9F87-4F4C-8072-E8A5D13D635E.jpeg
    10203031-9F87-4F4C-8072-E8A5D13D635E.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 110

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
4D = 3D cut out (normally acrylic) black letters adhered to plate background.

Scroll down the link above to see the options.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’ve had pressed metal plates and 4D acrylic plates fitted to my cars over the years.
I can remember when pressed metal plates were the default dealer fit item and this is what was fitted to the first new car I bought back in 1980. At that time, if I’d wanted to ‘upgrade’ to Perspex plates, they’d have cost extra.

These days I’m more than happy with the standard dealer fit Perspex plates and I not a big fan of 3D or 4D. I do prefer the standard plates to be stuck on though (they are on my current car) rather than drilled and screwed in place.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
4D = 3D cut out (normally acrylic) black letters adhered to plate background.

Scroll down the link above to see the options.
As I thought actually 3D but with fancy marketing, they even mention time being the 4th dimension in their blurb. I'll stick to making my own at an old employer, £5 a pair.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As I thought actually 3D but with fancy marketing, they even mention time being the 4th dimension in their blurb. I'll stick to making my own at an old employer, £5 a pair.
I assume it’s also to differentiate from the 3D font (that was actually 2D and doesn’t meet the BS1054e standard).

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hello all, I've just fitted a private plate to mine in so called 4D font from Number1Plates. Very pleased with the look tbh. The reason I went with 4D was that it matches the CUPRA logo across the back if the car, well sort of :p .
Here's a couple of pics.
20220513_150227~2.jpg 20220519_182927~2.jpg 20220519_182946~2.jpg

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Just changed my plates for the new UK style, but got rid of the surrounds for a cleaner look. But being a dog themed K9 plate, I wasn't going to get rid of the doggie paw prints :)

Attachments

• New plates.jpeg
    New plates.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 137

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Plain standard metal plates available from Halfords. Not cheap but better than the perspex ones. Also on a mercedes the front one needs to bend and not acheivable with perspex

Screwed too. Had the stick on ones fall off so always go screwed route now

Last edited:
Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Plan standard metal plates available from Halfords. Not cheap but better than the perspex ones. Also on a mercedes the front one needs to bend and not acheivable with perspex

Screwed too. Had the stick on ones fall off so always go screwed route now
It is possible to get the perspex type to bend by careful use of a heat gun; it is a bit of a 🙈 process though. Go a bit mad with it and your plates are scrap.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Fitted meant front plates Mercs, as long as the plate is warm and screwed on they should hold, it is possible to put a slight bend in them by bending a plate and tying in position with string etc and leaving a couple of days to set in place, unless some of the newer cars have a bigger bend on the front than I worked with.