OBD fault code readers

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Folks,

As above, I could do with getting myself one of those little handheld OBD-II fault code reader things. Went to a local place today, they wanted £78 for the one they had. Went to Halfrauds, they had a sticker saying £132 on theirs!

I know you can get these things for £15 upwards on eBay but there's so many I got confused so thought I'd post here and see if anyone has something like this that they recommend. Particularly for mk1 Leon Cupra R (2005) but I guess all Seats around that age will have the same type of port etc...

Cheers in advance!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The cheap ones are lead only, so you need a laptop to use them. Handheld ones seem to start from about £30, and I'm fairly sure they would work fine on your car. The Ebay ones are perfectly adequate, every so often they don't work but they're definitely the exception rather than the norm. To cover that, simply buy it from a UK seller (rather than China!) so you can send it back.

As SEAT's got younger, they changed the type of communication which makes the cheaper options completely useless. But you should be fine.

Don't bother with shop bought ones, they're no better.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Fuel trims get reset when you do a fault code reset, so that should be fine. I don't believe it will be able to do a throttle body adaptation, that's a VAGCOM only job.

KernowFR

Mr Diesel Box
Apr 2, 2010
Cornwall
You need to be a bit careful with the OBD readers that allow adaption ! I have had to attend to a couple of cars where its not explained with tags like VCDS, and users have lost the remote matching by pressing mmhhh what does this do ?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You need to be a bit careful with the OBD readers that allow adaption ! I have had to attend to a couple of cars where its not explained with tags like VCDS, and users have lost the remote matching by pressing mmhhh what does this do ?

Good advice there. The VAGCOM software comes up with an 'Are you sure?' message whenever you're going to do something risky, I guess the handheld ones just let you get on with it.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Fuel trims get reset when you do a fault code reset, so that should be fine. I don't believe it will be able to do a throttle body adaptation, that's a VAGCOM only job.

I didn't mean throttle body adaption, I meant the fuelling adaption, I guess that is the same as trims tho - sorry wasn't very clear! Being able to do throttle body adaption would be handy but then...

So you're saying some OBD readers can do throttle body adaption? If so, that's risking losing remote fob pairings and stuff?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers, well I just ordered one of those U281 things off ebay just now, for about £26 if it just shows me the code numbers and lets me reset them I'll be happy enough with that for now. Cheers all :)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Those are, quite frankly rubbish. you should have bought an autel vag 405 for about £45 delivered.

Full fault codes and definitions, READ/ERASE function

Most control units covered

CAN-BUS capable

Live OBD data

Full OBD2 functionality for all cars

Full service light reset for nearly all vag cars upto 2008

Well worth the money, we have 2 at work and for the money nothing can touch them, they are very quick and get the thumbs up from everyone i know who has one.

Nothing other than VCDS, VAS equipment or more expensive diag gear will do basic settings the cheap code readers do just that - read codes and nothing else. At least with that autel machine you get a few extras.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Oh well, bit late now - where were you this time yesterday before I ordered the cheap one! To be honest the one I ordered seems to claim to be able to do most of that stuff and unless the Autel can do a proper throttle body reset (can it?) then the cheap one will do me until I can afford to get a proper VAGCOM setup.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
the one you've bought doesnt even tell you what the fault is, just displays a generic obd number, the autel gives you a full definition, the obd code and a vag specific one.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Fair point, although I was thinking I'd be able to look up the codes online somewhere, thought the codes were pretty standard across all car manufacturers?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK well thanks for the info anyway, if this cheap one doesn't help then I'll go for an Autel after Christmas. Cheers MJ :)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
no probs mate, i only preach about them because for the price - nothing even comes close!
and thats in comparisson to VCDS and dealer gear.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
To be fair, while only getting the number rather than the full description is a drawback, there are plenty of VAG websites with the lists of codes. Even the Ross Tech website has most of the major codes listed, and you can guarantee if it's a common code it'll be listed on here as well! :)

But any device compared to the SEAT dealer prices is usually a good buy, whether its an £8 lead or a £200 CANBUS biggie.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.